Another health and fitness thread anyone?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Wiscohunter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    6 miles in 30 min on the elliptical is crazy. When I'm pushing hard I can get about 4.5. Mad respect, you're an animal.

I did my push workout on Monday and legs yesterday. I'm in a groove of starting my workouts with 10-20 minutes of sprints on the elliptical to get my HR up, then I lift, then do 20-30 minutes on the stairs depending on how much time I have before I need to get to work. I took today off to rest my legs as they were pretty tight after yesterday.

My eating has been terrible lately. I really need to get my butt back on track.

2. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Down to 180 and ounces this morning. 80 days to drop the last 5#.

Only did 21 miles, on the spin class today, but I'm whooped. This after a 3 mile hike at 0 dark thirty.

3. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This what I always thought when I was working hard to get the weight off; If I eat something I'm not supposed to, it will negate all the hard work I just did. That thought really kept me honest in staying on my calorie count. Remember, you can't out exercise your diet! Stay after it!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

4. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    Beast mode activated!

Westfinger likes this.
  5. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Beast mode yesterday sleepy mode and wanting a nap today!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    pastorjim08 and Justin like this.
  6. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Isn't that the truth. Some days I don't know where I find the energy then a couple days later I'm struggling.

Nothing to exciting to report on the lifting front. I added some narrow grip benching back in so that was a small victory. Still just hitting legs, core and a smattering of back and upper body stuff. Ran 6 miles just to keep my cardio from sliding to much. Diet and scale are on point but no doubt the lack of heavy lifting is hurting my body composition.

Stay after it.

cantexian, pastorjim08 and wl704 like this.
  7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Today was one of those days I did not want to get out of bed. Didn't get to sleep until probably midnight and that 4:30 alarm came way too soon. After a few snoozes (much to the dismay of my wife) I dragged myself up and got to the gym. Fought through a decent back/shoulders workout for just over an hour. I was about to cut it short when my inner cantexian chimed in and told me not to be a sissy, so I hopped on the treadmill and went for a run. It sucked bad, but I'm glad I did it.

Tonight's plan is a good steak and a good night's sleep so I can crush legs tomorrow.

8. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    WTG!!

9. cantexian

Dislikes Received:

[​IMG]

Westfinger and Swamp Stalker like this.
  10. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Work kept me too busy to do anything yesterday. Today I did some light chest work with DBs and hit 30 minutes on the elliptical. I am still a little tired from Tuesday and not much sleep Tuesday night. My pace was off, only got 5.9 miles in 30 minutes.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    Westfinger likes this.
  11. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    3mi hike and 1hr tabata style bootcamp class this am.

12. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    1 hr of Tabata is no joke. I've been doing 30 min tabata workouts and I'm usually spent when I'm done. Sometimes I'll alternate my sessions and do 40 sec sprints and 20 seconds of rest in between just to mix things up. That will get the HR up for sure.

13. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's an ass kicker for sure. I try to get 2 sessions in a week just to mix things up.

I do need to mod some of the higher impact stuff and from time to time... When my knees, shoulders and back are acting up.

Thinking of adding back some lifts to help the joints and connective bits.

Westfinger likes this.
  14. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Its horrible. The last time I really made a push and was in great shape I was training like that all the time. A young 20 something year old pushed me a long with 10 minute sets of hell. ha

Westfinger likes this.
  15. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Figure some of you all are bike riders and may be able to help. Trying to replace two tires and tubes on a mountain bike.

There are no markings on the tires as they are old but I got some marking on the rims...

559 x 21 (Euro standard) or 28 x 1.75

Do I just start looking for tires that match those numbers or is there some other variable I need to take into account? Thanks all.

16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Find a bike shop.

Westfinger and virginiashadow like this.
  17. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Crap. Ha

18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The way I look at it, I ponder how many bike tires have I changed, and when did I do it last, I use that data to try to figure out the odds of me getting it right and compare it to the cost at the bike shop. I sold a really nice road bike because I hated changing tires, were I live we had paved shoulders on the county roads but all the township roads that lead to the county roads were gravel so plenty of flats.

19. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Been going strong on my walking. I had to skip a few days last week due to a gout flare-up in my toe. Started with a 15-pound backpack on Sunday, my 3 1/2 miles. It takes me about an hour. the weight really makes a difference and whoops me good. I've been doing planks and torso twists too. I feel healthier and notice a significant improvement in my stamina. The diet has come under control, and like Jim said, If I reach for something bad, I hear a voice telling me not to cause I'm gonna pay for it.

20. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Off to a halfway decent start this week. Did a chest workout yesterday with barbell bench for the first time in about a month after tweaking my shoulder. It's felt fine for a few weeks, but I was nervous so I was sticking to dumbells only. Went pretty light and everything felt good, which was nice. I also got my PB on the stair machine - 181 floors in 30 min. I used to struggle to hit 150 in that time. It's nice to see some progress.

Today I skipped the cardio and did a solid leg session. Warmed up with a mile on the elliptical then did a circuit of weighted box step-ups, leg curls, incline leg press, calf raises, single-leg press, leg extensions, deadlifts, and 1/4 mile farmer's carry. My leg press is feeling pretty good at 435 lbs with 4 sets of 10 so I'm going to up the weight a bit next week and see how that feels.