2021 who's started their land projects?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by oldnotdead, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Checked out a satellite farm, was able to pull the last of my strutter cams and move them to deer locations as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. arrowflinger1

arrowflinger1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It’s been very hot and dry since I last looked at everything at the property, I have a bad feeling that I will be re planting something else later and try again next spring with the clover......

3. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:

Familiar face is back, beans are shooting up!

oldnotdead likes this.
  4. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Planted my pumpkins one week ago todand.
    Great growth for 7 days.
    20210613_192230.jpg

arrowflinger1 and oldnotdead like this.
  5. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

It has been very hot and dry here as well. Today is day 17 without any rain. Although my beans and clover are doing well, we sure could use some rain to help them out even more.

My clover was already established with a good frost seeding and had decent rain before the drought.

This is unusually early to have my lawn brown out like it is August. As a matter of fact, it has been a few years since it has browned out.

arrowflinger1 likes this.
  6. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My pumpkins never go in before July 4th. This gets them ripe on the vine right up to Halloween. That said only Twice I've had actual snow mid Oct.
    Things, par to being usual put a wrench in my bean and sorghum plantings. We got the new tractor tires on early but the greasing led to a complete oil change and then add the rain storms and no big barn to work in...Well disc STILL NOT ON. Rain and non stop winds...spraying not done. We've only been able to mow the yard area twice this year. We won't mow wet grass.. had a thunder storm run through last night and more due later and tomorrow.
    All this said My clover is just killer this year. Thankfully it is more white than red because the farm clover is now 4 ft tall red clover that he is not cutting. If he is doing that to suppress weeds...fail. What he's had is a wave of mustard, then a wave of Chinese garlic now daisies , curly dock and bed straw. All these produce copious seeds.
    My plans keep changing due to time and how great the white clovers have come in in spots. Push comes to shove I can hold over the wild life sorghum and plant the old grain with the feed corn as a view block and plant the beans in lower plot area. I really didn't want my beans there because the guys sitting on my lines is really bad. It keeps the deer from movement and also increases me catching guys on cams.. Oh well one way or the other the beans will go in they have to They are not a hold over type seed. The thing with white over red is I Can disc in the red without a kill down. The white will explode with the runners and roots getting cut and buried. Dragging could help that and give the beans time to out grow the reimerging clovers.
    Oneof these years everything will align during planting time.... Ya...here's the rain that was due this afternoon.

GregH and arrowflinger1 like this.
  7. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    We got hammered this week in Ohio. One day had 2” in an hour and the other 4” in 30 mins. Some flooding. Everything is saturated. I think we’re at 10” on the month.

GregH likes this.
  8. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Those kind of downpours are no good either. The flooding can wash out newly planted fields and gardens. I live in some hilly country and downpours like those can really pick up speed coming down the hills and then deposit sand everywhere.

9. arrowflinger1

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty much the same around here, my established clover is fine but the new plot I started earlier this year might not Make it. I will get up there this week sometime and check it out.

GregH likes this.
  10. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Hhhmmmm. Well let me say I was wrong again! The chicken farmer behind me finally had his field sprout. I was saying this spring that he could possibly be planting beans because he did a kill down on his winter grain /clover planting. That either corn or bean prices must be up. Well I doubted the bean theory because his last bean planting was destroyed. 20-30 deer every night on a 10 acre field. I drove home from shopping and saw corn and beans every where and in that adjacent field to our back line.
    Now this just may be great for me. They will be on him all summer. I'll be starting late and never cutting . I will over seed it in fall with grains. He will harvest the beans and grind the plants. The Deer will migrate to my beans. That will be next to my white clovers.

11. arrowflinger1

Dislikes Received:
    Got one more thing done 17AD8337-07CB-4B62-A8E4-E692D5A45209.jpeg 0267EB6E-BF3E-492F-8791-97E42388DD16.jpeg

12. Gabilgerat

Gabilgerat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Its been raining almost every day here for the past week , the dozer man who cleared my little 2 acres of woods still has to back drag, de-root n level the ground and he cant do it till it dries out. I sure wish he had finished so I could had put some seed in the dirt, It would be already sprouting with all this rain, Its supposed to be dry for the next 4 days so he plans to finish Saturday, if he does I will be planting Sunday.

arrowflinger1, GregH and Fix like this.
  13. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  14. beavertronic

beavertronic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Land project this year was buying more of it, so that is what I did. The boss (read wife) approved the purchase of the property kitty-corner from our current property and offer was just accepted today. We are having the first property logged and are looking at building on the new property. Walking distance to hunt is going to be great!

15. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!

16. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  17. beavertronic

beavertronic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks OND!

oldnotdead likes this.
  18. arrowflinger1

Dislikes Received:
    When I tend to make things, I want them to look good, just my nature. Hopefully it’s going to get bloody, deer hauler and for working out in the woods.

Fix likes this.
  19. arrowflinger1

Dislikes Received:
    Left over deck stain, TWP. The only reason I put it on is because it is white oak and I want it to last since it will be outside all the time.

GregH likes this.
  20. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Finally the disc is on! Today I mowed for 6 hrs. Oh dang , forgot how tough that can actually be on the legs ,butt and hips...Everything got mowed the plots, trails, lawn. I left the hay areas tall . Man the clover in upper plots is thickest I've ever seen the lower dryer area was better than normal. I decided to go right to ground on everything. One to see what happens over the next few rainy days and two the daisies invaded hard. Still having a difficult time deciding on the bean planting. Definitely some will go in lower plot. The upper white clover is just beautiful. So there will be a bean clover bean clover sectioning in the upper plot areas with the hay section in front near road. Deer are hanging in that a lot. I may do beans in an unexpected area. Very small but with a spraying may work. The rain will be welcome as to giving me time..better late than never. About the time farmers get cutting in I be growing.
    Oh the two chestnut I thought the late hard frosts killed are greener back up though the limited spraying I got in due to rains and winds didn't help the caterpillar invasion. Which is very very bad this year. The amount of crap they have deposited on every thing is disgusting. Literally the woods sound like it's raining 24/7