Colorado OTC Elk Hunt

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by Matt Babson, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Matt Babson

Matt Babson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys I’m in the process of researching the best I can to get the information needed to hunt public land in CO this Sept 2021. I’m looking for any information and anyone in interested in going just reply. Iv looked at different units . I’m going for an Archery elk hunt. I hope to camp at my truck or inside if needed.

2. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Harvest data, other reports and hunt planners on CPW site are a good starting point. Included in the regs are the units that allow OTC.

Free tools like huntscore may be helpful for initial public land or unit tattoos. Paid tools like gohunt provide other additional info and features.

The little I'll offer, campgrounds and trail heads will be pretty well mobbed. You'll want to get away from those areas, and if you haven't been archery elk hunting before or hunted the west before, there is a lot to learn. I learned a lot from listening to podcasts working out for my first trip ~5 yrs ago.

Few are going to help you find honey holes, but if you zero in on particular units and have questions about access, crowds or resources nearby (fuel, convenience, etc) folks may offer some insights.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    Bowhuntr64 likes this.
  3. takemrarely

takemrarely Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My son and I are going for the first time this year.
    Will be watching this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    An elk hunt may be a little ambitious for your first Colorado hunt, however you may be geared up for it and farther ahead of the curve. I would suggest a OTC mule deer hunt if the elk hunt is not lining up. It'll get you there and able to familiarize yourself as to what to expect the next go around.

5. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Go Hunt and Elk 101. Both worth the investment.

Hammer1171 likes this.
  6. Bowhuntr64

Bowhuntr64 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Very well said. And I'll add, you will typically do better if you can backpack into a remote area and camp there. There's a big difference in populations when you do that...especially during/after muzzleloader season.

7. Cricket

Cricket Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’m a Colorado resident and I tried for 3 years before I gave up. Granted, I was brand new to big game hunting at the time, but finding “alone” space close to roads was tough. Lots of land owners will offer trespass fees for $500-1500 for a cow which can pay off and save you some time. I’ve seen some like that listed on Craigslist.