Another health and fitness thread anyone?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Wiscohunter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    In my experience, it usually takes me a solid 2-3 weeks of eating good and cutting out most carbs before my body is fully adjusted. Keep it up! It gets easier every day.

oldnotdead and Swamp Stalker like this.
  2. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Totally eliminate sit ups. Just do planks and different kinds of ab work. Keep it fun and do it consistently.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed - I hate sit-ups as well. I do a lot of leg raises, cable crunches, planks and cable twists (oblique "wood choppers")

virginiashadow and Swamp Stalker like this.
  4. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pallof Presses, plank variations, and rotational exercises with either cable system or medicine ball are my go to ab exercises. Crunches are pretty useless compared to other exercises.

5. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  6. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I can't link from here but for inspiration Google 82 yr old woman weight lifter in Rochester NY puts burglar in hospital. At the very least, should make you smile.

virginiashadow and pastorjim08 like this.
  7. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Jim theres not to many 66yo at my gym. What you have accomplished and continue to do is inspiring. The fact that you keep your diet on point and continue to train is no easy task for anyone. Give yourself a break, your a beast.

MRI results are good. Cuff is intact. I have a pretty good SLAP tear involving the Bicep. Plan is conservative. PT etc. Lets do this!

8. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Justin is right. It takes about three weeks to get your diet under control. Stick with it man, I guarantee you that in the end you will not regret it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

9. mikey custom-g

mikey custom-g Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pastor

I’m in your age group, 63 in November. Weights have been in and out of my life forever.

As we get old we lose Testosterone and that’s the key to weights by and large. My testosterone must be on empty. I never got it checked and don’t care what it is. I’m not doing Testosterone therapy period ! I got what I got, and that’s all I’m going to get unless somehow the weight training kicks the body to make more ? I heard it does ? Have no facts, but I do feel a bit more “lively” since weight training.

Since my body might be low on T my mind however will not be deterred. I started slow with weights and it takes a longer period of time to shape up. However I assure you, your body will respond and firm up and guaranteed to gain strengthdins provided you are consistent.

@ our age it’s 95% mental. You have to mentally push yourself into weights and getting forced reps. My forever reps are into the 20 rep range. So I’m building strength and endurance. It won’t happen unless you fight against the low T we old men have. Gotten dig in. It might hurt but it’s great overall for the bones, tendons,ligaments, and muscles. The mind then takes hold and you will be challenging yourself. But it might take months of struggles and lethargic work outs. Do not be deterred. Keep pushing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westfinger and pastorjim08 like this.
  10. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I may just give it a try.

mikey custom-g likes this.
  11. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Have you ever looked into a suspension gym? I have one and it is great. There are many videos on line for training and isolating muscle groups.

12. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Holy Molly! I changed the direction of my 5 mile walk.I don't know how but that made it 3/4 up hill. The two very steep up hill and our steep down hill. The rest was a steady climb for miles. Took longer and man my knees are feeling it . That last mile was rough! My calves feel like two steel pipes. Took an Epsom salts soak. That made me appreciate our killer hill climb...lol

Westfinger and mikey custom-g like this.
  13. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Took a break from the hiking last week with the short work week. Today I did 3 miles in 60 with the 35lb pack. Started with a 21% incline, at 30 minutes I bumped to 22%. I am gradually working into holding it at 25% for the hour. Burned 1209 calories.

14. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Round 1: 5 weighted pull ups @ 25lbs for 5 reps, 5 push ups, 50lb Palloff Press 30 seconds/side, 1 minute of jump rope x 5 rounds

Round 2: 50lb DB Chest Press for 8 reps, 50lb DB Row for 12 reps/side, 50lb Rope Face Pulls 12 reps, Barbell Curls @80lbs for 8 reps, 45 plate overhead carry x 25 yards, 1 minute of jump rope x 3 rounds

Easy 20 minute walk on treadmill to finish.

15. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Today I check our old gym out...they are still closed to all but PT clients. Also being a medical facility every one has to wear masks.. Put myself on a call list and found out they went back to a monthly not the six month membership they had just before the pandemic hit. The weight loss is now showing unpleasant loose skin. I know the fasting and time is the only semi cure other than surgery. I still have way more weight to lose before that's a thought. Plumping muscle will never fill things out alone but should help. They have what I need for my upper arms and my upper thighs.

Westfinger and Swamp Stalker like this.
  16. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Finally back at the 3 1/2 mile mark. Today was my 3rd day going 3 1/2 miles with no real issues. I'm gonna start wearing my backpack with a bit of weight starting next week. I started planks and torso twists this past week too (Thanks @cantexian ). It's sad when my shoulders are trembling after 10 seconds of planking, LOL!! I think I finally hit the point in my brain of not eating crap food. Weighed in today to get an idea of where I was...Two fitty. LOL

[​IMG]

17. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats man! You have taken the first step. You got this!!

oldnotdead, wl704 and Swamp Stalker like this.
  18. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The AT hike was a wake up call... Feet and blisters healed, now to drop lbs and up cardio.

Back down to 182# this morning.
    Did a little 3 miles warm up walk, then spin class for an hr of hell (26 miles of sprints, hills and other torture).

19. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    26 miles of sprints on a bike in an hour? You are either extremely dedicated or need to be medicated. I hate spin bikes, well bikes in general, I couldn't stand sitting on a bike for that long. Well done!

wl704 likes this.
  20. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yes.both.

cantexian likes this.