Pools; Salt v. Chlorine

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by S.McArthur, Mar 17, 2021.

1. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    DAMN YOU BIG POOL CORPORATIONS!!!!

2. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It gets outa control, metal remover, rust and scale remover, alegcides, water softeners. Just need to keep chlorine good and adjust PH and ALK. Never take your water to get tested. That’s like taking your car to get an oil change and they try selling you 10 different air filters.

3. kspseshooter

kspseshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would not recommend the salt system... we ran it a couple years and wasn’t all that impressed.

DON’T get suckered into buying high prices chemicals from the pool stores, look up the 3B system using bleach, borax, and baking soda.

Super easy and a fraction of the cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suncrest08 and S.McArthur like this.
  4. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Gentlemen (and ladies, or whatever you want to be today), pool has been in almost week, it's been a slow fill process, but it's almost full. Still have to run the electrical to the pump and finish fixing my yard.
    Installers did a sheeiit job hooking the pump lines, they are way off, and the spa hose they used is not flexible, so I need to do it all again the right way. Quite frankly, I'm not sure why I paid for someone else to install it, waste of money. I talked to the pool store, ended up leaving with a big "Fxxx off" in the lobby, they wanted me to pay for materials to fix what is screwed up, plus, the fact I had to go and get my chemicals they were supposed to bring to me on install day.
    Anyway, on to extending my current deck, landscaping, digging the trench for electric, finish cleaning up the almost 20 trees I took down (anyone need firewood?), this project is getting costly quickly. Would be worse had I not adopted a Kioti.
    80ADF781-9321-49D1-8FB8-D08C25DC4AA8.jpeg

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Half diesel half gas mixture and a leaf blower would take care of that green pile in no time.

6. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    That’s the little pile, the big pile is going up today

7. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Well, after 3 weeks and a lot of sweat, I finished my deck. My plan was to use most of my old deck but it was too damaged. First deck I’ve done, learned quite a bit in process, I don’t regret building it this big. The pictures don’t do it it justice for the size, but it’s quite large. A few finishing touches and it’s onto the next project.
    D1064DA2-7C84-4937-8C93-3FE8F46F0FD4.jpeg E6A77FFA-E003-4947-A476-784CC88AD3F1.jpeg

GregH and Swamp Stalker like this.
  8. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks great sir. We can't get chlorine up here so I've been running bleach and baking soda. Pool is clear but gheez bleach burns off fast in direct sun.

9. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    I still have a bunch of trees, I guess it’s been slowing down burning anything off. I have a UV system, i don’t know much about them but i have not used a lot of chemicals. My local pool place said they won’t have an issue keeping anything in stock for the year. We shall see what happens when the heat gets here though.

10. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Use Swim Shock, it is chlorine, only chlorine shortage is with the 3" tablets which the media overhyped and it went off the shelf like Covid TP.

Haven't seen this thread until now, my brother has been in the pool service/repair industry for 20 years, started his own business 5 years ago and is killing it. Was helping him open pools the past 5 weeks on my days off and learned a bit on pools, but not an expert by any means. Co-worker with a 12 x 24 oval, he told to use about a gallon a week to keep it chlorinated, a bit more if swam in a lot.

11. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Plumb it in with 1 1/2" PVC, screw the flex and corrugated hosing. Build it once and build it to last. With an above ground closing is everything for the next years opening. Don't go cheap on a cover for it and make sure to clean the cover off the following year, don't just rip it off and let everything on top into the pool. He only has two above grounds on his books, was pretty picky with who he took on as customers, but when I helped him take the cover off I was flabbergasted at how clean the water was, wasn't crystal clear, but was clear enough you could make out the pattern of the liner on the floor.

S.McArthur likes this.
  12. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    The installer used that PVC spa hose, not very user friendly for closing. There are two valves on the hoses, but nothing for easy on/off. Once I'm ready to close it for the year, I'll plumb it properly. I'm supposed to get a "free" cover from the company, but based on the other "free" stuff, it'll be cheap. This is my first pool I've maintained myself and so far it's been fairly simple, I left enough room between my deck and the pool to be able to put the cover on without any issues. I had to get 3 UV filters from the pool place, their "experts" never put the o-rings on the light tube so it was shorting out every time, it only worked once I finally put the damn thing together. It was an uphill battle telling them that water and electricity do not mix.

Basically what my pool place told me about the shortage, I have a bucket of them and they should last me through the year. My chlorine level was way high a few weeks ago, we've reduced the two tablets to 1 per week to get things level. I even reduced the amount of shock, they had me at 2lbs per week, but now I only do 1lb per week or a little more if we have a lot of people over. It is doing just fine, but we haven't had a good week of hard sun/heat yet.

13. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Coworker didn't adequately drain his filter last year and it cracked when it froze. Brother had one that he sold him, told him how to plumb it and showed him his set up to show him. He still didn't plumb it right. It's fine for now, but if he needs to disassemble it he's going to be cutting it up.

Told him to put quick connect unions offset at the filter intake and return lines. Put a check valve between chlorinator and filter or plumb the chlorinator lower than the multi-valve as chlorine will backflow into the filter and eat the seals in the valve when pump is not running.

He should have extended the return(blue), installed the unions(red) and put a check valve(purple). Asked him how he is going to unscrew the return from the filter. Doh! Then he put the chlorinator at a slight angle thinking it would suffice :lol:

All easily fixable and luckily he had no leaks, just easier to it right the first time.

IMG_20210603_101050_01~2.jpg