Best things in life

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Fix, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That a boy, way to tuck your balls into your knee high socks and face it like a man (a old man). Happy birthday sir.

Sota likes this.
  2. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Happy Birthday Sotapop.

Sota likes this.
  3. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Happy birthday young sir...

4. Birdswacker

Birdswacker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Happy Birthday you old ???hole!!

Sota likes this.
  5. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Happy birthday Tim.

Sota likes this.
  6. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Happy birthday.

Been awhile since I heard his real name, took me a second to remember!

Sota likes this.
  7. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Took ~3.5 days and hiked a 70mile stretch of the AT with my 2 oldest boys (Though we truly started in Wed night at about 11:30pm on Wed to shave off some elevation off the initial brutal climb... Called it a night when we got to sleep about 2am).

A good mental and physical bit of stress to put life back into perspective.

Started raining Friday night and we slept in Sat morning till about 9am trying to wait for the rain to stop. It didn't, so we put on our rain jackets at set out.

About 2 pm, the rain did let up, as we arrived at a shelter. Shed out wet gear, I put on a merino top, got water and made a hot meal to warm up and refuel. We decided we'd press on to the next shelter 7 miles away about 4pm. A couple miles in, it started raining again... Realized I left my rain coat at the last shelter.

We pressed on, through crappy cold rain. Made one good call taking a bypass trail instead of an exposed ridge trail...around 7:30, my diabetic son's blood sugar is bottoming out...

(how is this a best things post? Stick with it)

Fortunately, the kid is smart. Pulls out some honey and downs about a shots worth and some jerky. And we're back on the trail. Arriving at the shelter about 8pm...its packed full and tents outside for others crammed into the shelter getting a meal. I'm soaking wet, but we crammed into the shelter hoping the rain would stop. It didn't... It's about 45-50 degrees and around 8:30 I decided, we needed to hang our food on the bear cables and set up tents. Which we did.

I got my tent up and helped my boys set theirs up. I then made a very stupid mistake, by climbing into my bag. I thought, since I was wearing synthetics and wool the wetness would cook out...it didn't, since i cooled down in the shelter and I didn't notice my down bag was already damp, cause I was already numb. I shivered all night, but did some marginally smart things that kept me alive overnight. But I was near hypothermic when my boys checked on me and wisely convinced me to get into the shelter to warm up.

My boys made me a hot meal and some old guy leant me his dry sleeping bag to warm up. That guy was Walter Lutz Jr, a 70 yo Hiking 1000miles of the AT to raise funds for his hometown of Kulpmont PA to help buy a new fire truck. You can find his updates on his Facebook page and the fire departments page. He made a hell of an impression on me and my boys. Walt, is the reason for this post. Read on, my son's IG posts and if so moved, I'd appreciate it if y'all would consider donating to the gofundme for his cause. Screenshot_20210530-210021_Instagram.jpeg Screenshot_20210530-210031_Instagram.jpeg

Ps. His trail name is Deadpool... Yeah, just like the character. His buddies started a pool for the date he'd die from a bear attack or keel over on the trail. He wears that name like a medal, and like his namesake, it's not going to deter him from his mission.

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  8. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wow what an awesome story!
    And what a lousy way to go, dying in your own wet sleeping bag :)

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

9. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    But I didn't...the marginally smart things included dead air space around me for insulation, rain cover, a half pound of m&ms for calories, a cell phone (with no coverage) hooked to and near full power bank makes some heat along with a liter of electrolites heated by my jetboil, in a Nalgene.

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  10. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice story 704.

wl704 likes this.
  11. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Only his 3rd 3D tournament and he took second place in his division. One more 12 ring instead of a 5, he would have had first. He shot a 166 out of 220.

Attached Files:

12. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    When the meat shortage scare of 2020 that never was, comes back to help you in 2021....

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Son will be here around 7 the lake is like glass, he is sking tonight. I absolutely love the old Tyee, the thing hops right up on plane, is responsive, and paid cash for it. I love being able to grab a beer and walk down and take the boat out for a couple full throttle rips down the lake.

14. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That sounds fantastic. The wife and I would love to own a lake house one day. Pass it along to our kids. Life goals.

Sota likes this.
  15. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Heck yeah

Sota, Ridgerunner3 and dnoodles like this.
  16. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Even though I have seen them open 2-3 times for other bands and they kick butt, this is the only song by them I can actually remember. I wouldn't say he is underrated, but Claypool is very unappreciated. Dude's a wizard.

17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    One of the things that still make my allergies act up when ever my son or daughter arrive, the place is in a trust for them best gift I could ever pass on to my kids.

Mod-it likes this.
  18. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Those darn allergies...

Sota likes this.
  19. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure if this goes here or rant or what. I called my local gas station which makes subs and pizza and this time of year are ran by young kids. I just finished hanging stands and cutting trees and the family was gone. So I didn't want to cook. I called and said I wanted to order a sub. The kid seemed a bit dim and I had to repeat my self a few times but I didn't get mad. But then he"got" me when he asked do you want it on white it wheat. I answered wheat please. He then asked is that wheat with a H? I studdered and didn't know how to answer. I eventually said yeah wheat with a H I guess. But you know white has one too. To which he said ooooooh true true. But once I got home and opened my sub I couldn't be mad at all . PXL_20210604_214130723.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  20. Birdswacker

Birdswacker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow! I don’t know of any place in Mn that makes a sub like that?