Best things in life

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Fix, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, if it was 4wd I would rebuild it soup2nuts but it's been a good ride and it's time to send her to pasture. I bought her for 1000 and just sold it for 500.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Memorial weekend coming up sure the house will be packed this weekend, can't wait. I am going to try to water ski has been a while if I can't get up on one ski I will quit and never try again.

3. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My oldest is 10 today.

upload_2021-5-24_13-41-17.png

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wow you had hair back then.:biggrin:

cantexian likes this.
  5. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, one of the many things I have sacrificed being a dad.

dnoodles and Sota like this.
  6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would gladly trade my hair for cartilage.

dnoodles, GregH and virginiashadow like this.
  7. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Fortunately, I am not old enough to have to consider that yet.

8. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Watched grandson, got the best pic of youngest. Oldest wouldn't stand still. Yes grandSON, there is a cutting "debate" at their house at the moment. .lol

20210523_200416.jpg

GregH, TJF, Ridgerunner3 and 2 others like this.
  9. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry kind of long.
    We bought our son a small little atv for his 6th birthday, a 50 cc "China quad", a Hensim. Reviews say the motors last really well, and parts are cheap for them. The one we bought was used and had served two families/4 kids before we acquired it.
    A couple months after getting it, it promptly caught all the wiring on fire and melted it into a glop of melted insulation and bare wires. Freaking awesome. I stripped all the wiring and just did a minimal wiring job on it in an attempt to get it running again, but I could only get it to start for a few seconds and then it would die and not even sputter when trying it again. It ended up being put on the back burner and sat all last fall and winter.
    Once I took all the plastics and fuel tank off of it and started looking closer I realized that one of the dads was not real mechanically inclined. The bike has one single fuse to provide circuit protection, it is on the main positive wire. Well, it is supposed to have that fuse anyway. You guessed it, apparently a wire had rubbed on the frame and started grounding out, so the genius simply wired around the fuse. Over time riding it this way the arcing created enough heat that the whole main harness caught on fire.
    I found a kit on Amazon for a whopping $40 bucks. Stator, starter solenoid, coil, cdi, key ignition, main wiring harness, and start/kill handlebar switch mount. Since the bike had sat for a while I figured the carb jets were probably plugged too, but the bowl screws wouldn't come out with an impact driver so I bought a new carb for it for a mere $12 bucks as well.
    Saturday I tore into putting it all on the bike. The stator was really torched, it is a 6 coil stator and only one coil wasn't black and melted. That was why I couldn't get it to run after my basic wiring job. The kit wasn't exactly plug and play, I did have to do some splicing here and there. A few hours and it was all in, the new carb was on, fuel tank back on and ready to try it out. It didn't take too long and I managed to change the oil in the pickup while taking a break from being hunched over the bike.
    More of a rant right? Well, I then had CJ come out and be the one to attempt to start it (I ran the choke lever on the carb). The look on his face when it fired right up after a couple seconds of cranking and then purred like a kitten, well that was definitely a best things in life moment.

elkguide, tacklebox, dnoodles and 4 others like this.
  10. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Here’s a pic of the stator and the old wiring mess I removed. Thank goodness for test lights and ohm meters.
    4072C26F-1935-4E35-8E05-4AFAF7751088.jpeg
    6DF4E077-9F95-450B-92FE-09F3978C467F.jpeg

GregH likes this.
  11. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would not eveb begin to know how to fix that mess!

oldnotdead likes this.
  12. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    This is rant and best things. We got, months ago, a notice of a subcontractors power line cleaning to be done. This came with a # for concerns. So I called.
    1. I have bushes planted under lines that are at full height do not touch. I have oak along line if you are here in warm weather do not cut! These two things will be an issue ESPECIALLY THE OAK. DEC. Mandate: there is oak Wilt in the area and oaks are not to be cut any time other than winter to stop the spread of oak Wilt. . Assured crew would get the heads up. I also offered to be a dump site for their chips on the hill to avoid them needing to climb up and down hill to dump at town site. This hill drains tanks and burns brakes.
    Guys show up I talked to them,but in mentioning bush , which they said they wished more people would do. I acknowledge one or two pine will need a good trim . Asked them to cut a couple of smaller trees they normally would let go and warned of some dead trees farther back that they should check do to falling the wrong way. The oak branches were so clear I didn't mention it. WTH!! Go to get mail and there's the foreman cutting the oak. I flipped out and halted EVERYTHING. Rant is the office supposedly never said anything. These guys had no idea of oak Wilt or DEC mandate??? I said listen I have 200 oak. Your cutting brings wilt to me and the DEC comes in and cuts my oak due to wilt ,the lawsuit will be epic. I don't want to be bitchty but I tried to avoid this. Well it's done now.
    NO, NO IT IS NOT DONE NOW! You have have wound spray on your trucks? No. Well I do and your going back up there and your thoroughly going to spray to seal those cuts from beetles. They then laughed that I wanted chips. So I apologized for the need to be bitchy. We all laughed that I did it with a smile thanked him for going back and spraying. At the end of the day they came back and dropped off the chips...I thanked them, they thanked me and We had a good talk.
    So when having to be bitchy , there's no reason one can't do so in a way that gets things done but leaves people not angry. I managed to leave them laughing in one case and smiling over all.

13. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Last night was the last tee ball game for my three-year-old in his first season. In one of his at bats, he hit the ball and knocked the tee over. He was moving too fast, trips and falls over the tee. Instead of having a meltdown like most kids his age would, he jumps back up and hustles to first base. He is my youngest, but I am pretty sure he will turn out to be the toughest of my kids. His older brothers would do that now, but probably not when they were that young.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPUbgGtgvgq/

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  14. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ruffles Original Potato Chips.
    My Paleo-Achilles Heel.

oldnotdead likes this.
  15. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    And French onion dip.....
    Though I can still do veggies with some of that...and keto chips...

16. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Getting to see my 7 month old grandson fall asleep in my arms for the first time!

17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Tell you what since I have became a grandparent I have become 10 ply soft.

oldnotdead and Bone Head Hunter like this.
  18. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    putting all my rants in my back pocket. Thinking about all my friends and family who have fought for Lady Liberty and especially those who are no longer with us.

Raising a High Life and a shot of bourbon to them all.

cantexian, JeffC, elkguide and 5 others like this.
  19. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Knowing, have known and the knowledge that there are those among us willing to possibly put their lives on the line for their fellow Amerincans. God Bless all of them, their families and their friend's for they share in the bravery and sometimes pain.
    THANK YOU!

JeffC and elkguide like this.
  20. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This morning I confessed to my neighbors that have been living a lie since I moved in. Teal's liquor store has been giving me the Senior discount on Wednesday's since last July. I turned 55 today so I am no longer living a lie drinking discounted beer that I did not deserve.