The Orion Syndicate (#12) - 2020 & 2021 Champions

Discussion in '2022 Deer Contest' started by tynimiller, Aug 31, 2020.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well Pops is currently attempting to purchase a chunk of floodplain riverbottom for hunting only reasons...we are patiently awaiting the owner's call back. Had a great hour sit down meeting with her, where I presented other flood plain impacted sales from the past few years so she knew where Pops' derived his value offer....fingers crossed we got another spot maybe to work with.

Even with a dry-ish spring about 15%-20% of the property has water standing on it. Some high islands and such. Massive travel corridor and some neighboring food. There is an island of solid 3-5 acres that if we could get cleared and plant could make an incredible food source in the midst of the riverbottom. The back 10 acres of the 27 sets up great to cut all mature trees and make intensely thick and never enter.

Fingers crossed.

I'll probably do a card pull in June sometime if not prior and share any good velvet pics from my place. Typically do a late June/early July pull and then again at fall planting.

ash d, farmer rick and Oldcarp like this.
  2. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is one hunt that is going to really work me hard.

3. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A good friend of mine from Nebraska drew a Colorado Big Horn tag a few years ago. The guy is 150 lbs soaking wet and can run for miles without breaking a sweat. He did a lot of extra running and training for his hunt and said it was still brutal. He ended up putting the bow down after 10 days or so and picked up a rifle to fill his once-in-a-lifetime tag. It still took much effort. You almost have to get a little bit lucky to have success on that type of hunt.

Oldcarp likes this.
  4. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I finally finished the bathroom remodel project two days ago. I ended up almost completely gutting the entire room but I did manage to leave around a quarter of the original drywall in place.

Whoever built the tub shower built it to survive Armageddon, but they failed at getting a waterproof seal at the tub so it had been leaking a little. Fortunately there was no rot. Just a little sanitizing and drying time required.

Since the shower stall we put in was shorter than the tub shower, I had to demolish the existing wall and build a new one. I'm a fan of rounded drywall corners so I went that route even though they're a pain to float out.

All of the demolition material ended up getting tossed out the window. At the end of the project I was trying to find a landfill somewhere around here to dispose of the big pile of trash. As luck would have it, one of my neighbors, a decent young man from about 2 miles up the road, stopped by to say hi. He said that he had a pit dug a while back for some construction debris and I was welcome to take it there and toss it in.

While I was there we talked about the parcel he owns. It's about 40 acres with a small pond in the middle. It had timber harvested a few years ago but there are plenty of trees that can be climbed and I know it's full of deer. My neighbor said no one else hunts it and I can bow hunt it all I want. I'll definitely have to go and check it out.

5. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Oh yeah, the remodel.

I should add that I tore out the existing stained car siding ceiling and installed a new one with a clear coat of lacquer.

I took the old ceiling boards and milled the baseboard, chair rail and crown mold out of them.

Three before pics and three after pics:
    IMG_1946.jpg
    IMG_1947.jpg
    IMG_1948.jpg
    IMG_1984.jpg
    IMG_1985.jpg
    IMG_1986.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oldcarp and tynimiller like this.
  6. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Looks great! Hickory floor? Whatever it is, I really like all the grain in it.

Oldcarp and LittleChief like this.
  7. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, the flooring is Hickory. It’s what my wife wanted, just like everything else. She picks what she likes and I do the work. :lol:

Suncrest08 and fletch920 like this.
  8. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    LittleChief it looks great

LittleChief likes this.
  9. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a very happy marriage to me! That arrangement has worked well for me for 31 years next month. lol

LittleChief likes this.
  10. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Well, with me being colorblind it works out for the best as far as looks go also.

ash d and fletch920 like this.
  11. farmer rick

farmer rick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great job! Unique lights! 1st time I've heard of a remodeling job turning into a new hunting property. Good score on that.

LittleChief likes this.
  12. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    Did a little fishing this morning. We caught 23 between me and my son. There’s a slight limit between 15 inches and 22 inches. Anything in that range you have to let go. So we kept a couple each that were in the 13 to 14 inch range.
    Here is a picture of my son holding them up

Attached Files:

LittleChief, ash d and farmer rick like this.
  13. Brett Smith

Brett Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just an update
    The cast came off today & swapped for a walking boot
    Dr took my scooter away & requested I walk with the assistance of crutches while using my bad leg too
    Hope to be driving come Monday
    Next appointment in 2 weeks
    Thank God it’s no where near hunting season
    I’m enjoying the pictures & updates of everything you guys are doing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LittleChief, ash d, Oldcarp and 2 others like this.
  14. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    That’s good to hear Brett. I hope everything keeps healing up like it should.

15. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to hear you’re getting better Brett.

16. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Are any of you guys bow tuning gurus? I'm having a real problem getting the new V3 to tune properly.

I posted my issues in Tech Talk but there hasn't been much in the way of replies that help with my problem.

There was a time not too long ago that a tuning question in Tech Talk would have had a ton of replies from guys who knew how to handle problems like mine.

I miss guys like Brucelanthier.

17. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’m no help little chief. Good luck with the new toy.

18. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I have yet another place to hunt now.
    My brother bought a place in Flippin, AR.

His place is less than 5 acres but it’s bordered on two sides by Corps of Engineers land that surrounds Bull Shoals Lake.

His wife is pretty angry at the deer right now. They came in and ate their tomato plants, their Hostas and their Clematis vines.

According to my sister in law I have a green light to kill them all. :lol:

19. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I drove four hours back to the archery shop and took the V3 27 along to get it tuned. They couldn't do it. They tried everything, but couldn't get it to shoot straight.

Three hours later I walked out with a V3 31 all set up. They shot bullet holes through paper. I shot bullet holes through paper.

I think I'm going to be okay now.

I also left with a new stabilizer, two packs of Grim Reaper Pro Series Whitetail Specials and one pack of 100 grain Slick Trick Magnums. I only bought the Slick Tricks so I could broadhead tune this bow. Sounds silly I guess, but I want to make sure this bow shoots right.

On another note, this bow set up with a Spot Hogg Fast Eddie XL, the stabilizer and everything else feels like holding up a cinder block compared to my Heli-m.

farmer rick likes this.
  20. farmer rick

farmer rick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Johnny good to hear you have your bow problem fixed. Reminded me of a new Hoyt I bought a few years back that the center shot was not where it was supposed to be. Top cam had a thick and thin spacers on the cam. Being mine was left handed I looked at some right hand models of the same bow. They didn't switch the spacers on my left hand bow. Got the spacers switched and it was right on.

LittleChief likes this.