Fishing thread.

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Sota, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Leave this Saturday for my annual Dale Hollow trophy small mouth trip. Should hit it almost perfect this year.

This will be my forty first year of going. Got eight of us that meet up at the lake and some of those guys been going with me for thirty years...

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  2. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I played golf in high school and I always kept a ronco pocket fisherman in my golf bag so I could take a few casts whenever my group got stuck waiting behind a slower group. Caught some really big bass with that little thing. Actually caught the biggest bass I had ever caught up to that time was while I was waiting in the fairway of the 15th hole during the final round of the state championship. Pretty sure that the other three guys that were in my group still think of me as some sort of mythical being. I had been taking them to school on the course all day but they pretty much knew it was over for them after I casually pulled a fishing rod out of my golf bag, walked over to this tiny little pond in the middle of the fairway, and hooked a monster 10lb bass on my first cast. I got one of the parents that were watching to take a quick grip and grin picture for me then I unhooked it, tossed it back in the pond and walked back over and hit my second shot which I somehow managed to stick about 2 feet from the hole for an easy birdie. I still don’t know how the hell I did that though since I was shaking with excitement from catching that bass. Still one of the most memorable days from my childhood having caught the biggest fish of my life at that point and my team won our first state championship that day.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Legendary! I love it

4. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had one as a young kid.
    Don't remember catching much but one small catfish in Yankton SD.
    Thought I was King Chit.

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's getting close I helped the neighbor get the boat lift in yesterday, his pontoon is in the water. I might just put my pontoon in and mor it to his dock until we get ours in on mothers day.

6. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Buddy of mine is a wild man. Worked all night then hit the water this morning. Caught the biggest snakehead of his life. Close to 10lbs. Invasive little bastard fish, but I've been told they fight like heck and eat well.

20210428_153637.jpg

tdk5525 likes this.
  7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Nasty looking critters.

8. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Had a great day with my Dad and two younger brothers!
    Limited out on Redfish, and caught about 15 total.
    3-4 Spanish mackerel, a flounder and some other trash fish.
    IMG_0354.JPG

IMG_0352.JPG
    My brother with the net :)

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

9. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    Slayed the bass last Saturday, only fished for a couple hours but I lost count after 20. Nothing huge, all of them were in the 2-4lb range, but I was using my go-to ultralight spinning rig with 2lb test so I had several really good fights. Unfortunately I did get a pretty serious John boat tan which when combined with quite a few beers, ended up with me mistakenly announcing that "my inner thighs are on fire" to a group of about 30 strangers at a Kentucky Derby party later that evening and completely failing to grasp the connotation until it was too late....
    tempImageIc4R0R.png tempImageiMAZls.png tempImageElQZ6j.png tempImageZYej6R.png tempImagem4QZ2L.png

10. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Man that sounds like a great. 2 to 4 lbers are aggressive and give a good fight.

11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like it hurts! But totally worth it.

I finally got my boat in the water on Saturday. Didn't catch any fish, but had a good time testing out the new electronics and making sure the power pole was working. It was super windy so we stuck to a few weedy back channels on a local lake.

Hopefully we get some better weather one of these weekends. It's either warm and windy as hell or cold and raining.

virginiashadow and fletch920 like this.
  12. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I took the boat out for the first time this year on Saturday. My oldest son took the front casting deck and I just helped control the boat in 30 mph wind gusts. At times I had to use the outboard to help the trolling motor keep us off the rocks. The bass were holding really close to the bank and he caught 6 that were over 2.5 lbs. and a couple that were pushing 5 in a couple hours of fishing a small lake. He loves to bass fish and had a great time.
    20210501_101606.jpg 20210501_095913.jpg

tdk5525, cls74, Rick James and 5 others like this.
  13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice.

14. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Loading up to head to Erie for the next 2 days. Hoping to find some big eyes.

tdk5525, Rick James, Sota and 4 others like this.
  15. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    Fished Houghton and Clear Lake over the past couple days. Did ok on some nice perch at Clear Lake but got my ass handed to me on Houghton.

16. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    The wind is killing me this spring. 15mph today. Every nice day has 15 to 20mph winds. I'm going fishing this afternoon no matter what.

Justin likes this.
  17. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    Everything puts up a good fight on an ultralight with 2lb mono on it. Hands down my favorite freshwater setup - A shakesphere ultralight combo I got back in middle school at Walmart. Came with a 4’ 6” rod rated for 2-6lb and a tiny little spinning reel. I had to replace the original Shakespeare reel with a slightly bigger 500 size shimano because the little friction disk for the drag on the other one melted and gave out about 30 minutes into a fight with a big catfish. After the cost of the original combo plus the reel upgrade, 100 yds of line, and a red culprit worm I probably got a solid $35 invested in it as it stands. It’s definitely worth every penny.

18. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like using those poles for bullhead. Makes it feel like I have a 30lb cat on the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

19. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Such a beautiful spot but only one sunfish today. Once I moved out of the main channel and into the little slots of the river that were protected I started getting bass hits. Not real aggressive just spawning type stuff. I did lock into one 3lber or so but she spit the hook on the first jump. I'm gonna try to get back in there tomorrow but approach it a couple miles downstream to hopefully get to where the current slows down a bit. Time to map study.

20210505_155446.jpg

20. tacklebox

Dislikes Received: