Ag fields

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Fix, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So I was on the phone with the farmer we rent the fields to surrounding the woods I hunt today. There is hundreds of acres of AG that island 5 25-50 acre wood pieces. It's normally corn or soybeans.
    Why I bring this up is he is planting snapbeans this year. Which means they will be harvested by mid to late August. I have no idea how the deer will react to this crop or to the fact that the fields will be empty before season begins. As this is all subjective and situational it is not what I need help figuring out.
    I have a 1.5 acre food plot in the middle of this and I need to decide what to plant there this year. Considering said variables.
    Great soil (untreated) around 6. I do plan to fert.
    I will have the plot disc'ed and packed but not well enough for a clover plot as they need a firm tight bed and very shallow home. I'm thinking turnips and radishes to assist for the winter. Or a homemade blend from the feed store that has bins of them all. Soybeans are a good choice as it's isolated and big enough to hold them until December or so before it's picked clean.
    So thoughts?

2. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like the soy bean idea, uncle Rico.
    Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?... Yeah... Coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we would've been state champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind.

Ridgerunner3 likes this.
  4. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    They do snap beans around here as well. Then utilize the nitrogen with winter wheat. Sometimes if they are having soil issues they'll choose a cover crop to address individual issues. I see where they'll plant a tricticale radish in late summer. Beans are beans and deer will tear them up but don't underestimate the local turkey and ground hog. I try doing something farmers aren't. The farmers still have major clover and alfalfa fields in the area. One farmer along us has disced up a section of his older hay field. I'm thinking he may plow down and do a weed sprayable feed crop( beef farmer) to clean the field before replanting his hay next year. The farmer next to him and us just killed down his rye and turned it over and disced it. I'm not sure what he will plant. It could be spring wheat ,corn, beans. Though his last bean attempt left his field devastated. (Chicken farmer)
    That all said I'm discing all my clover and I will utilize my iron clay cow peas in my filtered shade plots and mix them in with my soybeans with wild life sorghum on sunny locations. I have 2 different feed corns I'm testing for germination and strips along sunny edges will get a planting of feed corn. Then sold strips of sorghum will go in next to that. Maybe that will have some iron clay in it as well. I ordered 5#'s of white flowered "red" clover which is sweeter than normal red clover.
    All said the great thing about beans is they can give you a great inventory of area buck...but will they stay for season? The other thing is overseeding in fall for a crop is easy with WR and clovers also for greens you can over seed with radish , rape, or turnips . This depends on how early the beans are taken down by critters. I use a lawn roller over the beans. Won't always kill them and it gives better chance of ground to seed contact especially done around rain.
    Hope that gives you ideas

Fix likes this.
  5. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    am I understanding you correctly- You have hundreds of acres of open ag which surround five 25-50 acre islands of wood lots? And you only have the one 1.5 acre foodplot?

Personally, I would re-think this strategy. I think (and freely admit I may be wrong) but given that the fields will be picked clean except for the plot, the deer will decimate it at night and then clear out before light or worse, you bump them out on the approach. Of course this might not be the case in late afternoon or winter season, but I dunno man...

6. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As I am allowed to make alterations but not huge changes I have to be happy with what I have. I have full hunting rights and sole permission for the last 15 years but they do not want me clear cutting or using fields that they could be getting paid for(especially since I haven't ever paid to hunt sans sweat equity)

dnoodles and oldnotdead like this.
  7. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not knowing what kind of equipment you have it is hard to make a suggestion.

My best bang for my buck crop are soybeans. The deer use them all summer then again late fall through the winter.

Fix likes this.
  8. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If they have their beans off in August, could you use any of their farm ground and put in oats/rye/ww?

dnoodles likes this.
  9. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not ww for sure but maybe. I'll talk to him about it ty for the idea

10. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    ? Out of curiosity...the farmer leasing doesn't usually double crop his fields?

11. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nope

12. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, total surprise to me. Unless they are running corn, sweet sorghum, alfala, clovers or hay, everything gets double cropped here.
    They were putting down rye or WW as late as Oct last year.

13. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He has only ever done corn and soy. And once radishes

14. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If'n it twer me... I think I'd go for a blend of radish, turnip, kale and cereal rye. Easy peezy and will tolerate the grazing.

oldnotdead, dnoodles and Fix like this.
  15. Ridgerunner3

Dislikes Received:
    Okiebob, dnoodles and Fix like this.
  16. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    I have figured Letterkenny out.
    It's the newer and funnier Canadian version of Seinfeld.

Okiebob likes this.
  17. Ridgerunner3

Dislikes Received:
    The show about nothing?

Idk, ants on a seadoo had substance. Jerry had an upward inflection, whereas the Canadians finish on a downward inflection, mostly in the form of a question. Damn. Apparently I've thought more about this than I thought or should have.
    Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app
    Edit. You did say funnier...

18. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A bit late in the year (usually) for that blend so late in the year up here in the Nort.

19. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Now that I have said it you won't stop thinking about it as you watch LK.

General premise of both shows- a group of 3 men hang out all the time with one good female friend (who happens to be horizontally lenient) and everyone gets into inane situations largely due to their general lack of ambition. (Except chorin' in LK.)

Hilarity ensues.

Wayne = Jerry, main character who habitually WEARS BUTTON DOWN SHIRTS TUCKED INTO JEANS WITH NO BELT and has a revolving door of steady girlfriends; Dary=Kramer; skinny quirky guy with curly hair; and Squirrely Dan=George (token fat guy) - although Dary/Squirrely Dan have a mix of Kramer/George personality traits. Oh, and McMurry = Newman.

On both shows, their sources of income and/or careers are nebulous at best.

While cell phones are everywhere nowadays compared to the Seinfeld era, notice how cell phones are rarely used in LK and only for very brief moments- the group is almost always together in one form or another. Until the very end of Seinfeld, cell phones were not really in common use and only rarely made an appearance on the show. Wayne even uses his corded house phone more than he uses his cell.

Both shows even have a recurring sports-centric character who's face you never see (Shoresy and Steinbrenner) who just yells and shouts insults.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
    Okiebob likes this.