The Orion Syndicate (#12) - 2020 & 2021 Champions

Discussion in '2022 Deer Contest' started by tynimiller, Aug 31, 2020.

1. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I’ll be driving to Arkansas this weekend to pick up the Mother’s Day gift I’m getting my wife.

She needs a good hiking companion. We do already have five dogs but none of them are capable of hiking with her.

I thought an Australian Shepherd would make a good hiking buddy for her.
    Adjustments.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. farmer rick

farmer rick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Johnny that's a cute little puppy. Your wife will like your present.

My wife got a early mothers day present. Youngest son and his wife had a big healthy baby boy Monday. Makes 11 grandchild for her to spoil lol.

Oldcarp and LittleChief like this.
  3. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations on the new grandson. It would be hard to top that gift.

farmer rick likes this.
  4. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations

farmer rick likes this.
  5. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    So,.....

I got my first Covid shot yesterday morning at 9:30 am.

At around 11:00 yesterday I got a message asking if u could pick the puppy up at 7:00 pm today

I just replied “Sure, I can do that,”

It never crossed my mind that I might not be feeling that great until 3 hours later.

Anyway, it’s 10:48 pm now. The puppy is here barricaded in the bathroom crying off and on for attention and I feel kind of lousy.

The introduction to our other dogs didn’t go very well. The other dogs were okay. It was the puppy that growled and was scared by the other “giant” dogs.

I’m thinking it’s going to be a long night.

6. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Gentleman how’s it goin? Glad to see everyone getting out and about and enjoying the spring weather. I’ve been staying really busy. A month ago I decided to leave my company that I’ve been with for 8 years. It was not a big move as I’m going the same thing now as I was but my morale and spirits have completely changed, it was a move that I definitely needed to make for my own happiness. With that said I have been able to get out fishing a few times with my boys and I’m hoping to get out this weekend to try to get a turkey! Hope everyone is doing well. Deer season is right around the corner! Image1619171203.264134.jpg Image1619171223.114061.jpg Image1619171235.061795.jpg Image1619171253.716243.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

fletch920, Oldcarp, ash d and 2 others like this.
  7. farmer rick

Dislikes Received:
    Johnny hopefully your puppy will adjust to his new home fast. Would think having other dogs around would help.

Had both of my shots and both had me a little sick for a day. Brothers wife was scheduled to get her 1st shot then came down with the covid. She was sick for two weeks.

LittleChief likes this.
  8. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    It’s looking like it might be a long process.
    Keeping her in the bathroom didn’t work. I went to bed at 11:15 and she woke me up at 1:30 crying and howling.

I got her and managed a couple hours of dozing in my recliner. It’s around 5:30 now and I’m exhausted.

She growls at the other dogs and two of the other dogs growl at her right right now. I hope they warm up to each other sometime soon. I’m really going to have to stay alert.

My wife doesn’t get home for another week.

What was I thinking?!!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Guess I could swing an update....been pretty stagnant of late here as far as excitement goes.

With the discovery of the hunting occuring 20 yards from my one main sanctuary bedding we went up and hinged blockade/mess of trees to stop the main artery which was feeding right out of the corner of my bedding and clear shot by him 20 yards away. His admittance he shoots to the field at times which no one has legal permission to (we have walking and recovery permission only, not him even for that)....we are presently attempting to get ahold of the owner or the owner's general manager because it is some land that a business owns but all their property and buildings and what they care about is on the other side of a creek on about the 120 acres or so. Seeking to lease that and if so we will be putting massive sight screening annuals in front of his stand. (Really not a fan of someone that fully and openly admits to illegal actions).

Pops is actually wanting me to get in touch with the landowner of the piece they're on as she only owns about 8 acres, but really they only hunt the southern parcel (she has two) that is about 3.5 acres...he wants to see if we could just buy it from her.

Otherwise, I've shoved I believe about 30 different apple varieties in the ground, two pears and have half dozen plums and chinquapins and a crabapple in the garage that need planted as well.

Food plots will probably get a spray and spring/summer broadcasting at time of liming with buckwheat, crimson clover,sunflowers and cereal rye.....that will get terminated for fall plantings then as well.

The SW corner of my property that is along a southern roadway which was logged was just way too wide open and the canopy wasn't not removed enough for fast growth in the logging. Girdling and hinging has that 3-4 acres just a thick nasty mess and tons of light should thicken that area up to much more conducive to bedding which would be massive. If that takes then this next year just north of it is a section maybe 4-5 acres that is mixed saplings, area of thick bush honeysuckle and even a few low soil quality areas of grass and scrubs that I want to bulldoze it clear and attempt switchgrass planting in OR shove just an inane amount of dogwood and willow cuttings in the ground, maybe some evergreens, winterberry, chokeberry, ninebark, plums and get it going - haven't decided which direction I go there.

The impending doom of development around my 22.7 is ever present as it seems a couple newer buildings may be going up this year further choking my "urban-ish" deer down more and more....eventually the area probably won't be as good, but going to enjoy the ride as long as God keeps it flourishing.

farmer rick, LittleChief and Oldcarp like this.
  10. farmer rick

Dislikes Received:
    Great pictures Mitch!

11. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like you all had a fantastic time Mitch.

I miss those days.

12. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I got my shed built so I’m done with that project. So Friday me and my son and my grandson went out fishing. We are able to land five rainbows and two cutthroat. Nothing real big they were all in the 13 to 16 inch range. We kept three for eaten.

LittleChief, farmer rick and ash d like this.
  13. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I went to Biloxi Marsh in Louisiana last week for some redfishing. The wind was relentless and the fishing was tough. We did catch fish, but not a lot and we had to work hard for them. Still, it was fun to see some new country and lots and lots of big gators. We were fishing where they film part of the reality show Swamp People. I could barely make out what the local people were saying. It looked to me like they were very happy as long as they had a single-wide on stilts, a $500 truck, a john boat and a dog. Maybe I am doing it all wrong. lol

14. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly, folks that embrace life in such a manner I've found have more joy in them than those that perhaps have the security of massive homes, large bank accounts and not many desires that aren't fed. However, live long enough and every single demographic or type of person that exists - you'll come across folks that have found that contagious joy in all walks of life or stages.

15. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    So the week-long puppy vigil is almost over. My wife's plane is scheduled to arrive in St. Louis at 9:30 tonight so I'll be heading out at around 7:00 pm.

I'm going to take the puppy along so my wife can get to know it on the drive home. The pup will most likely cry, whine and howl some on the trip to the airport. I can keep her on my lap for much of the trip but not during the 45 minutes of city interstate driving.

Once we get home it might take some time and effort to get the pup to bond with her and let go of me a bit. The little demon spawn follows me everywhere I go and has an absolute fit if I'm not right next to her.

I'm really looking forward to actually getting to sleep in my bed again. The backpacking air mattress/sleeping bag on the bathroom floor is getting old, but it's the only way I can keep the puppy safe, secure and most importantly QUIET at night. The other dogs have pretty much accepted her as part of the pack, but her puppy antics really get on their nerves so I still have to watch her carefully.

16. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I'd bet a lot of folks who drive past our little one bedroom/one bath house/cabin in the woods wonder how we can live here full time, but we've never been happier. My wife and I were both glad to leave our nice 3 bedroom/3 bath house in the pretty subdivision, downsize and get ourselves located a good distance away from "civilization".

17. farmer rick

Dislikes Received:
    Johnny sounds like you got a one man dog for life. She'll quit whimpering soon, then she'll chew up everything. Just joking bet when your wife gets home it'll be much better.

You and Ty got it right about material things and being happy.

LittleChief likes this.
  18. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    It’s 2:00 am and I got home with my wife about an hour ago.

My wife is asleep on the bathroom floor with the pup. I’m about to sleep in my bed for the first time in a week.

I’m looking forward to it.

The puppy (my wife named her Kaya -pronounced KI-yuh)really took to her so I’m off the hook for a while and hopefully permanently. :lol:

Oldcarp likes this.
  19. Brett Smith

Brett Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    While mowing yesterday I slipped on the grassy slope, fell, broke my ankle
    Meeting with surgeon later
    I’m so glad I didn’t get under the mower but more importantly it’s not hunting season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear Brett. Best of luck with the recovery.