Fishing thread.

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Sota, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    We don't have any oceans or salmon close to IL. So you either drop your money on a ridiculous cigarette boat to impress the ladies, or you get a flashy bass boat and impress the dudes.

2. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    134 miles for BHOD headquarters to Port Washington, WI. I caught salmon with Van's Catch out of Port Washington a few summers ago. There is salmon in Lake Michigan and its an easy day trip from Chicago area. Could be a good team building time for everyone at HQ. :poke: Although, I am sure there are closer places to put a boat into Lake Michigan. I just don't know them. Oh, I will stick with the ladies, dudes aren't really my thing. :lmao:

upload_2021-4-13_14-50-20.png

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dnoodles, Okiebob and virginiashadow like this.
  3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Next to Green Bay Port Washington is one of my favorite cities in Wisconsin.

cantexian likes this.
  4. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was only there for the day, but, I could easily see that being a place I could move to as a retirement destination.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Port Washington is definitely a cool little town. I used to hit up the Duluth Trading Co whenever we were close by.

I've been salmon fishing on Lake Michigan a few times. It's just not my cup of tea. We have a client who runs a charter out of Kenosha and has invited me up a few times. I'd rather take my little dingy out and go casting for bass while Rick James blasts past me at 80 mph on his drag boat.

cantexian likes this.
  6. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Just found out I have a Zoom lure shop not 20 mins from my house. Soft plastics galore. I'm pumped. Gonna head down there soon with my daughter to load up.

Okiebob and cantexian like this.
  7. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Ended up catching 6 in a couple hrs. Awesome variety of fish.

20210417_164349.jpg 20210417_163636.jpg 20210417_153910.jpg

Mod-it, Holt, GregH and 6 others like this.
  8. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin likes this.
  9. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    never set out of PW but I have out of Kenosha. We used to go as a work group every year but the 2 guys who put it together retired and this will be the first year we don't go. Good coho and brownies.

I hear the King is AWESOME but I never made that one.

cantexian likes this.
  10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I spent yesterday buffing the boat with buffing compound, then waxing and polished the splash rail. Putting the boat in for a ride today.

Rick James likes this.
  11. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  12. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When down to the beach to put the boat in for the summer. Had planned to run out to the Gulf Stream but all of the motors were idling a little rough. Probably a little bit of residual gas that didn’t drain out of the tank and sat all winter but decided to hold off until I had run a full tank of fresh fuel through it to see if the motors smooth out. Didn’t want to break down 80 miles off shore so just stuck to trolling for Spanish mackerel & Bonita and a little bit of bottom fishing. I think the water is still a bit too cold though. All I caught trolling was a fingerling size Spanish and 13 preachers ****s. Bottom fishing wasn’t much better and only netted me a single oyster cracker. Hopefully another week or 2 of warm weather will bring in some real fish to compete with the bait stealers.

Ridgerunner3 likes this.
  13. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    As an inlander, I can't be the only one who chuckled when I read "preachers ****s", right?

Killed my turkey on Saturday so I'm planning on taking the boat out this weekend, weather permitting.

14. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    EE7788FC-8101-465E-9B44-F7217EAE9ED9.jpeg
    EA7FFC3C-6D4E-4846-8670-CDC5FC02BBA0.jpeg
    D88F9C75-79B0-4366-A305-C5B26E6F1658.jpeg
    Not my pictures... they aren’t exactly a grip and grin worthy creature in my book...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  15. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    opossumhunterNC likes this.
  16. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    Those slimy toothy bas**rds ate $15 worth of Clarkspoons this weekend. At least I can take comfort in the fact that they get to look forward to trying to poop out a clarkspoon sometime in the next 24 hours.

17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Reminds me of a fire detail I did in the Superior National Forest. We did a prescribed burn that went into the evening, we got done and a few of us went to a local tavern and the kitchen was closed by the time we got there so we drank our dinner. Fast forward till 0800 I had already been walking the fire line of the burn since 6 am, fairly certain my BAL was still not static. I see a pick up coming up the 2 track into the burn and step up to talk to the old timer trying to drive thru the middle of the burn I was managing. He was a brook trout fisherman headed to his spot I said go ahead where are you going and please let me know when you leave. I saw him on the way out he spilled his guts showed me the brookies and the stunning rock outcropping he fished off of. I fished that spot a few times and always caught and released one of those spots you do not share.

virginiashadow and cantexian like this.
  18. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Im always looking out for fishing spots. My youngest told me the other day, "Dad you should just always bring your fishing pole". haha. As a high school senior I had two study hall classes to finish my day bc I had already completed all my credits before noon. I used to get so anxious and bored. I was the first and only student the principal let go early each day......in my spring semester I would bring my fishing stuff to school, go home early from school around noon and eat, then hit the local farm ponds for an hour before track and field practice. Man those were the days.

axtell343 likes this.
  19. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Buddy of mine drug me along on a crappie tournament today on Truman. Beautiful day. I don't think we are in the money so far but have a decent haul so far. Pic was from the launch. 20210425_055806.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

ash d, cantexian and arrowflinger1 like this.
  20. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I hooked up the boat up yesterday with every intention of hitting the lake. Drove up the road, got out to get gas, and after standing in 39 degree temps with a stiff breeze for a few minutes, I packed it up and went home. Not worth the hour drive to the lake only to freeze my nuts off for 2 hours with an 8-year-old, then have to hurry home to make it to an afternoon baseball game.

Weather looks good this week and water temps should be warming up a bit. I'm thinking next weekend the action will be picking up. Supposed to be 70 on Saturday so we're planning on heading out then. We'll see what happens.