Pools; Salt v. Chlorine

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by S.McArthur, Mar 17, 2021.

1. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I need help, wife is dead set on salt water pool, I have concerns of the long term issues with salt. We are installing a 27' above ground pool, I cannot find any decent info on the long-term. All her friends keep saying they have no issues, but all of their pools are 3 years and under; pool place is telling me they are really bad on the equipment and surrounding area, which I understand.

Any pool experts here?

2. short69

short69 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've had chlorine for 20 years and never had an issue. check it once a week and adjust chemicals as necessary. I also run the pump/filter from the day I open the pool until the day I close it. The more they get used, the easier they are to maintain.

3. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We are all chlorine, hot tub and pool.

S.McArthur likes this.
  4. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I second that!!! I had a above ground for 35 years and ran chlorine and the pump was only off to back wash/ rinse after sweeping. No matter what you use make sure and get a ladder that is not aluminum. Salt or chlorine will do a number on them.

Swamp Stalker, S.McArthur and short69 like this.
  5. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Also so I suggest buying spa hosing for the filter and return lines... The ones that come with the pool will only last a couple of seasons.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  6. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My good buddy has run salt for 20 years now and it's great. He spends way less than we do on chemicals and his maintenance is less. We tried to run salt for a year at my house but our water is so bad that it destroyed the units over the summer. If I had the option I would run salt no questions.

dnoodles and Okiebob like this.
  7. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks fellas, I was leaning towards chlorine, I have a fear of salt water/air and the surrounding area.
    We have swam in some salt pools and they really are nice on the skin, but the long term is what I fear, especially on pool aluminum and plastic components. It's just a pain in the butt to find anyone with some long term info on salt.
    Thanks, I'm supposed to have some flexible stuff rather than the hard lines. There is talk about a pre filter as well, i forget the name, basically another filter for smaller stuff.

8. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Are those pools concrete, tile, fiberglass, aluminum, etc.?

We have some hard water at the house, not super hard, but it'll have some buildup every year or so. I'll have to consider that as well.

9. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They are both above ground 30ft aluminum.

S.McArthur likes this.
  10. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Fiberglass Hot Tub and pool. Both are salt water systems. Just like Fix said, I save a lot of money on chemicals. I put about a tablespoon of chlorine a month in the hot tub and about a cup a month during the summer into the pool. Having had solo chlorine systems prior to salt water, I'll never go back.

Edit: Treating your water prior to adding salt is key. We have hard water in OKC so I buy a hose attachment softener for filling, they ain't cheap but are worth every penny.

11. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I worked in the pool industry for 15 yrs. from install to sales. I’m in SW pa, we did very few salt water pools. The ones we did were hard to maintain and were nice when they were up and running. Water is silky smooth but the pros dont outweigh the cons with salt vs chlorine. I’d go chlorine, keep the chlorination good and adjust ph and alk. You will have no issues. I would also recommend a earth filter either a Hayward Ec65 or Ec45,their far superior to sand and cartridge filters.

12. short69

short69 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i also use cam-lock fitting on all the hoses. Spring setup and fall takedown only take a few minutes and if a hose leaks/breaks, it is a quick fix/turn-around. I always keep a couple extra hoses ready to go.

13. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not trying to hijack the thread but did you ever do any Living Pools? Thoughts? The wife discovered them while browsing online and is dead set on one at the new place. I like the idea, think it would be fun for the nieces and nephews.

14. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No I never did. They started entertaining the idea of them, but pool company’s make a fortune on chemicals. Self sustaining pools are not a cash cow like traditional pools. I like the idea and think it’s cool, but I think it could get outa hand quick if is not properly maintained. We’re building a house in 2 years and are planning on an in ground, my last one I’m ever building haha. We’re gonna go chlorine bc it’s easy to maintain and damn near bullet proof if you use the pool.

Swamp Stalker and Okiebob like this.
  15. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    They tried to do one of those as a public swimming area in Minneapolis, it has been shut down a majority of the time with high volume usage the chemistry is difficult to maintain. I do know a company that builds systems using enhanced iron sand filters to remove nitrates, might be useful.

16. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    I think I'm staying with chlorine, I've been trying to read about corrosion, cell generator life spans, etc. and it seems it's all kind of expensive in the long run to maintain it. Pool place is adamantly against salt water pools, I also have a decently treed lot and sometimes moisture is an issue. I would believe that would increase the salt water/air issue in and around the pool. Perhaps it's ptsd from living in New England and seeing what salt does to things, I'm hesitant on bringing that to the house.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  17. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    So, apparently I actually am getting a UV system, now I need to see what this is all about. Claims are that it’s less chemicals than straight chlorine. Two other pool places told me to avoid salt on an above ground pool. I guess I’m sticking with the UV system.

18. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pool stores make money selling you chemicals.... Just saying.

dnoodles likes this.
  19. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've found this to be the key as well. I ran the filter 24/7, added a small bag of shock after a good day of use or a few times a week, backwash the sand filter a few times a week and the water was always crystal clear.

20. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Who knew there would be so many pool experts on this forum. You learn something new every day, and after reading this thread, today is no different. Good info!

Suncrest08 likes this.