Beginner hunter

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Agi Ambre, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Agi Ambre

Agi Ambre Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I pretty new to archery all together. I 've spent over a year learning archery and improving technique. I got a bow built for me and my strength and size. I am taking my time to further improve my effective range and discipline. In California, I've taken my hunter's ed course (required for first time hunters) I'm an avid fisherman freshwater, deep water and Kayak. The skill, the wait, the understanding the environment, the knowing your equipment are all completely understandable to me.
    Here's the problem I have yet to solve. How do you learn where and what? The maps of where you can hunt and what in my area are as confusing as algebra to a 1st grader.
    With kayak fishing, if your going out to a new spot or going deep, you take some one with you, you partner up. you sure as hell don't go out your first time by yourself unless you want a discouraging bad time. (I know from experience). Nobody that I know, hunts. if they do, it's duck all from a blind in an area in socal built specifically for duck hunting. Furthermore no one I know even knows how to draw a bow.
    I've looked into apprentice hunts that CAFW offer but of course there are none available for some reason.
    I feel most hunters are introduced young, or are introduced by some one who hunts but how does some one without ties learn besides reading? How do you partner up if you don't know anyone? I can watch all the videos and read all the books but it doesn't walk with me in the wilderness and point out what to look for.
    I'm sure I sound a bit whiney but I really want to do this right. I want this to be as cathartic and as much a part of my life as fishing. I want to be safe.
    I appreciate any and all positive feedback and support.

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would go one question at a time

3. Agi Ambre

Dislikes Received:
    Fair enough. How about; How does someone older and brand new to hunting, learn to hunt if he doesn’t know anyone who does?

4. SticknString14

SticknString14 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Keep at it. You can learn to hunt without knowing anyone, it’s not easy but very rewarding. If your not into YouTube videos try books or magazines they are full of good information for the new hunter. To meet hunters go where hunters hang out, the local archery shop or range. Personally you’ll meet more like minded hunters on the mountain or in the woods than anywhere else, iv found it’s easier to get help from someone when they see you are out there trying and willing to put in the effort in the field. For information on what and where to hunt go to your local govt parks/wildlife and grab some brochures. Good luck

Agi Ambre likes this.
  5. westdesign03

westdesign03 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This was me several years ago and still is to a large degree. Ive found my best option outside of having a mentor in person is guys on YouTube, especially the ones that relate best to the average guy and to the beginner. And not the ones that only teach you to chase big bucks.

I would recommend taking a course. The best course I know of is an online course by Jason Samkowiak. His show is Traditional Bowhunting and Wilderness Podcast. But he also has a YouTube channel he’s very active on in a number of subjects. But most of all I recommend buying his online deer hunting course. As far as I know he still charges only $75 for full lifetime access. It is worth every penny if you’re really serious about learning how to deer hunt. He continually adds content to it too and you have access to anything new he puts on it for life at no additional charge. Understand he’s not trying to teach you how to get on giant big mature bucks like most are focused on out there. He’s teaching you from ground zero how to understand and find deer in general. These foundational skills can be easily applied to finding big bucks later if you want to go that route. But his course is just awesome especially for the bare bones basic beginning foundational knowledge and skills. I’m still working through it myself. I will be watching it over again probably several times eventually to really get it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agi Ambre likes this.
  6. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Submerge your self as much as possible. Read all you can on here. Including archives.
    Then shows us your ground/maps/pics/ explainations.
    Ask us about your rig/arrows/equipment.
    Then we can get into techniques.
    You have more than enough time before season, you got this and we can help

Agi Ambre likes this.
  7. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Use caution but social media is the way; make acquaintances online and meet them in real time.

When I moved to where I've lived for the past thirty years, and finally decided to start hunting here, it was like learning to hunt all over again due to terrain differences, etc. I found hunting buddies in my region rather quickly and they were friends online first. Thankfully, the hunting community is full of guys willing to help. I owe my swamp hunting soul to guys who took the time.

Does your state have an outdoorsman forum? I'd start there, as well as this site.

Agi Ambre likes this.
  8. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A few thoughts :
    -talk to people at your range / archery shop;

-find folks in organizations where you might find like minded hunters...i had attended a few BHA beer nights, enough to figure out that may not be the organization for me, but I met some folks who I stay on touch with... Have done training hikes and met 1 guy on public land to go Turkey hunting.

-check with your state fish & game, several states have a mentoring programs...make sure to mention your an adult looking for a mentor. 'Late onset hunters' is a growing population. Ours also offers helpful workshops covering things like processing your own deer...

-scout public land and you may run into others in the parking lot... Strike up a convo maybe a little online stalking to verify they aren't a serial killer...mention you're new to hunting and looking v to learn.

-Read, listen to podcasts...be selective in YouTube or TV productions as you can be misled... But if you need to learn how to do something specifically (targeted search) you can usually find good content (e.g. Gutting, butchering, patterning, animal behavior) - imho Grant Woods 'growing deer' is pretty good...hunting public also.

Mod-it and Agi Ambre like this.
  9. Agi Ambre

Dislikes Received:
    @wl704 @w33kender @Fix @westdesign03 @SticknString14 Thank you all of you for those very helpful recommendations.
    I only intend to start with turkey and legal small game for my area. I have until July when the 2021 season opens for CA. I've picked up a bit from the this forum. My bow shop feels a bit exclusive. The pro there is very helpful with technique but seems to be pretty hush on the hunting. Maybe it's only a mater of being unfamiliar with me. I also get that feeling from a lot of the clubs in this area.
    My area is very developed and there is not much of an outdoor community. The local fishing forum is very helpful and open to discuss but there aren't many fisherman there that cross the fence.
    One item at a time right? Next for me is the conditioning, fitness and skill improvement. More time at the range, I'm sure I will meet more like minded people.
    I really do appreciate all of your feedback, it has been insightful.

Fix likes this.