Tommy or Fast Eddie XL?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Trevor Yokley, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Trevor Yokley

Trevor Yokley Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Recently getting back into archery and will be hunting white tails in Iowa. I can’t decide between the Tommy Hogg or the Fast Eddie XL. Other than than the Tommy being a little heavier, what is the main difference between the two? How much more will I benefit from the length of the Eddie? Will one benefit someone who is green vs the other? Is one more difficult for a rookie?

2. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know about those. I use an HHA one pin adjustable that I never adjust! It just has been a staple for me for many years. but Im just a bowhunter. No 3d or target archery.

3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You probably won't notice much of a difference either way.

I shoot a Fast Eddy 2 dot and absolutely love it. Having the second dot, I almost never need to adjust it in the stand but it's there if I am hunting a field edge, out west, or 3D shooting. Setting the top dot dead on at 22 and the second dot is dead on at 35. Shoot the gaps in between or aim the second dot a touch high at 40 which is my limit on whitetails. Obviously those yardages vary a bit depending on your set up but the concept is the same.

It's also tough as nails, although I imagine if you're comparing the same manufacturer they are all going to be that way.

The shorter Tommy would hang up less on brush if that's a concern.

As to a benefit of the extra length of the Eddy, think of it like a rifle's iron sights. The further apart the sight co-witness points, the more fine-tuned the accuracy will be. But honestly unless you are doing extreme distance target shooting you probably won't notice the difference. The sights are probably only as accurate as you are out to say 50. Past that it might make the difference between a 8 and a 12 on 3D.

One thing either way- since you're hunting I recommend getting a .019 dot. The .010 are teeny tiny and hard to see in low light. The .029s are HUGE and cover up a lot of area- not precise at all out past 30. If you were to draw on a target at 30 with the .029 dot it covers about a 6" diameter circle on the target.

The .019 is the best of both worlds. Easy to see but not too big. Also, the green is wayyyy brighter than the yellow. My top dot is green and I can see that clear through the end of legal light. The lower dot is yellow and fades quicker at low light which helps keep me honest and from shooting at deer at distances I should not be shooting at low light. That last 15 minutes of light is 20 yards and in.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    Suncrest08 and Trevor Yokley like this.
  4. Trevor Yokley

Trevor Yokley Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I won’t be doing any 3D shoots so I think either would be just fine for me. Thanks!

5. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Fast Eddie XL and I am a huge fan.

My shooting has improved considerably since I started using it. I’m pretty sure that’s because the sight is extended out farther which, as dnoodles said above, makes a considerable difference.

Suncrest08 likes this.
  6. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with the above, I have a fast Eddie XL 2 pin with dove tail and love it.