Sight for 2 arrow weights

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Kenton Letkeman, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Kenton Letkeman

Kenton Letkeman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Greetings, I am relatively new to bow hunting. I love to hunt everything from moose to prairie chickens. That is why I would like to have at least two different arrows. Something heavy for moose and wild boar and something much lighter and faster for coyotes and deer. It would be great to be able to carry both arrows with me and be able to switch in the field. Is there a sight designed to be adjusted in this way or some DIY method to achieve this goal?

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure ill be crucified for this but....I think you should look for the "sweet spot" arrow and it will work for both. If you post your stats (ibo DW DL etc) lots of guys on here are happy to help you figure it out.

3. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The only thing I can think of is a single pin movable sight. Instead of using a printed yardage tape on it, instead put a blank one on it. Then sight in both arrows and make marks for them with different colors. For example, black marks for the heavier arrows and red marks for the lighter ones.

Jake Kooiman likes this.
  4. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just got a regular Tetra TTR 5519, great sight but the wheel isnt removeable, which is fine as I'm a one brand/one model/Spine guy, but HHA does make the Tetra MAX, which has the removeable wheel so you can run two arrows or more depending on the number of arrows you want to use and wheels you want to purchase .... 'taint cheap, but a very solid single pin ... Ive been a HHA user for many years, and they are hard to beat .. just a word of caution using two+ different arrows, if those two arrows are different spine/weights even diameter you could have a different tune to each arrow which could make sighting and accuracy a challenge ... the fun part is finding out .....personally, I'd find a weight between the two you're aiming for and pick an arrow of right spine and build to the weight and tune ... I also would still use the HHA ..

https://www.hhasports.com/tetra-max/

TMX-XL-5519.jpg

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  5. Kenton Letkeman

Kenton Letkeman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Nice. I will look into it. I want to get this looked after early in the Spring so I have a few months to get everything tuned in before hunting season.

6. Kenton Letkeman

Kenton Letkeman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am not a big fan of the single pin but I might have to go that way. Thanks.

7. Kenton Letkeman

Kenton Letkeman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. My goal is to get a pass-through on a moose. In my mind that means no compromises.

8. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not either for hunting, but I don't know how a fixed could be made to work with two sets of arrows...without buying two anyway.

I have a single pin and a lighter set of arrows I use for 3d shooting and then a fixed sight with heavier arrows for hunting. I just take off one sight and put on the other, switch arrows, and have no problems with the sight switch changing the POI if it was previously sighted in and no changes have been made to my bow. My arrows are both Goldtip arrows, but the heavier hunting arrows are a different spine than the 3d arrows.
    In all honesty I tuned my bow with the heavier hunting arrows by shooting through paper and then bare shaft tuning. The lighter arrows I just threw the different sight on and sighted them in. Not as accurate as they probably could be but I'm not shooting 3d to compete, I do it for the hunting practice, and they seem to hit POA just fine.
    So if you're willing to purchase two different sights you could then swap them out and get two sets of arrows to work too.

9. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    there is nothing like a good single pin when they are used properly ... the most accurate sight there is ... since almost every one uses range finders today, the single pin can be super accurate. ... there are a few I know that love 'em for their western hunts and I wont use anything else for Deer ... less pin clutter, no using the wrong pin or slitting the gap wrong ... like I said I set it and dont move it on 80% of my shots, and that goes even on shots to 40 yds .. even if a deer is moving, coming/going .. 1 pin- hold a tad high or low, this is where speed shines, and I like a tad of speed ... learn your trajectory and one can become deadly with one ... move it if you have the time or leave it set at a fixed distance ... and know your effective range/kill zone with that setting ... btw, the Tetra max is available in a multi pin model also, or you can purchase the multipin head separately .. I do shoot a fixed (Sword) from time to time at 3D, but for hunting and crunch time, I trust my single pin

Mojosaki likes this.
  10. Michael Leskau

Michael Leskau Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have an HHA King pin single pi sight. The sight comes with two wheels. These wheels are removable. When I shoot a heavy arrow, I use the one wheel. When I shoot the lighter arrow, I use the spare second wheel. I use 20 yards as the reference for both. The sight has an adjustable stop which I set on 20 yards. When I change the wheel, I set the sight to 20 yards, tighten the sight and remove the wheel. Install the spare wheel at 20 yards and tighten. This sight is awsome.