First Lite Sanctuary Or Sitka Incinerator?

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Limbhanger, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Limbhanger

Limbhanger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looking for opinions here, wanting to get a set of warm late season clothing.

I like the Incinerator, although many claim it's noisy? And after comparing the two price wise, I'm liking the Sanctuary better for the price. But curious how they compare on warmth, if anyone knows? Thanks

2. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This will be my first year with my sanctuary and don't own any sitka. I will say the sanctuary is very quiet and very warm. Just wish it had a pass through for my harness line. Pockets are great and the zipper pisses me off at how small it is and it is hard to get started. Not sure if the newest ones improved on my gripes. Mine is second hand and about 2 years old.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

3. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have some sitka and some first lite, but don't use either the Santuary or incinerator. I really just don't get temps that low in NC...

I understand the incinerator is very very warm. One person said it's great if you're sitting in very cold subzero temps. The sitka goretex laminates do have a bit of noise, but it's not terrible as it has a brushed face. I do like the wind and water - proofness, in general, of the Sitka over the FL. Sizes on Sitka are 'athletic', so best to try it on...

My other FL layers are warm, generously cut but do hang a bit on me.

If you're planning on bowhunting with either, you run some risk of bulk or may need to compress the sleeve (giving up some insulating) to avoid catching with your string...

4. jonderrs7

jonderrs7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went with the Solitude by FL and while the temps havent been ideal to put the Solitude system to use, it looks to be very well thought out. The jacket allows you to pass through your harness safety line through, and the pockets on the jacket are designed to work with the bibs. The legs of the bibs zipper all the way to your hips so its easy to put on and take off at the tree. I know thats confusing but it makes sense when wearing the system. Excited to give 'er a go! Check out the specs on the website.

5. Ridgerunner3

Dislikes Received:
    That solitude set up is probably my next purchase. Might sell the sanctuary but it does get pretty darn cold here, so I'll at least give it a run this season.

jonderrs7 likes this.
  6. jonderrs7

jonderrs7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I also went with the Furnace tops and bottoms so i'm hoping i can get by in the MN winter with the Furnace and Solitude system paired with something else. ill have to figure that out haha

Ridgerunner3 likes this.
  7. Ridgerunner3

Dislikes Received:
    I have the kiln series for base layers. I gotta wonder the difference between the 2. Fusion quarter zip top and the kiln hoodie are night and day so it makes me wonder about the furnace weight.

8. Limbhanger

Limbhanger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Really wanted to buy one of these sets for cold weather stand hunting, but kind of disappointed with features of both. Might not be an issue to many, but can't stand a hood that is not detachable, and neither the Incinerator or Sanctuary offer this. Just don't understand where they both claim a shooters cut, but in my opinion screw that up with the hood and collar area. I only wear a good hoodie and beanie underneath that can easily be flipped down and not interfere with my anchor and see both of these being problematic to me?

Liked the option with Sitka Incinerator with wind proofing, but quickly wrote it off with the many noisy reviews, don't like noisy bowhunting clothes,, then no detachable hood was a double whammy. The sanctuary is very quiet with no wind proofing which I could live with, but as stated for the money and no detachable hood, can't see buying it.

I honestly knew nothing with both of these when I first started reading the reviews how warm they were, and decided I definitely want one of these. And never even thought the hoods would not be detachable for that kind of money, just figured it would be standard.

9. Garrett Godlewski

Garrett Godlewski Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone have the furnace base layers???? I have Sitka heavyweight top and bottoms but wondering how the first lite furnace baselayer compares

10. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly the only measurable difference between the two is the windproofing Sitka's has while FL doesn't. That helps the FL gain a quieter performance, while Sitka there is some noise associated. To me, not measurable enough to matter, and honestly if it is THAT frigid to pull out these two - I don't really care for a small noise if it keeps me in stand.

Honestly, though if it is that FRIGID I'm proabably in a ground blind and making my Fanatic Bibs and layers work with my Midi-celcius jacket and stratus vest work up top inside the blind.

11. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sanctuary jacket is extremely warm, functional pockets and fit is spot on. Furnace base layers are the warmest garments I have ever owned. I have not tried Sitka.

12. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have been using the furnace set this year and would give them a big thumbs up. I am wearing the under armor set with the First Lite set over that and then my scentlok early season coveralls over that. I am not all bulked up and staying plenty warm. They are definitely worth it.

Garrett Godlewski likes this.
  13. Huntespo

Huntespo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well i can't speak for sitka due to me not owning any gear from them, with that being said i do own first lite gear, here is my review...i have the furnace top and bottoms along with the klamath hoody and both sanctuary bibs and jacket. If you have a long hike ahead of you i suggest carrying in your sanctuary gear failing that at least your jacket. You will over heat the good thing with the bibs is you can unzip them and basically have them wide open to allow for flow. I can honestly say i never had been cold in this sanctuary set, only once did i have a slight chill and that ciuld have been from me sweating on the hike into my stand. I have sat in light rain and snow with these on never got wet. On the colder days if i zipped up my hood it would cover up to my nose and you could sinch up the cord on the hood for a more form fitting fit, and the heat added was excellent. The outside pockets are good they have a hand warmer style pockets where just put hand warmer packs in and fingers are toasty no real need for a hand warmer muff and there is a harness pass through which is handy. Great gear, like it, the camo pattern(fusion) is bang on for where i hunt. Used these in temperatures of around 5c or 41f to -10c or 14f it was a warmer year than usual this year.The down fall to these are the sizing are kinda out there for me anyway!. I am 6'2" weigh 255lbs jackets i normally wear xl to max xxl and that is a little big and bibs same xl to xxl and little bit big on those as well decided to go with xxl sanctuary jacket for layering and its too big but decided to keep it anyway. Now bibs ordered xxl and wow one extreme to the other they were tight. I had to send them back for the xxxl couldn't believe it. I am from Canada i had to pay to ship them back for the exchange so Canadian buyers be aware lol..The other down fall is their outer shell seems to be iffy meaning you dont want to be bush wacking or they might rip. We will see how durability holds up since 2020 was my first season with them. Overall i am a happy customer i like the gear and you can tell it is quality stuff. Hope this helps

14. Huntespo

Huntespo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Also i forgot o mention when they say its a shooters cut i am pretty sure they are only talking about the sleeves those are tight to the arm this way you dont have any string contact, now if you have the hood up or down you may have to tinker with the way it fits to get your proper anchor point

15. bhod87

bhod87 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I cannot speak to Sitka... but I have the Sanctuary set and love it. I am very stubborn about wearing something that bulky and don't pull it out until I absolutely cannot stand the Catalyst + layers.

It is without a doubt the warmest set I've ever worn and the quietness of the materials is nothing short of impressive.