Broadhead Question - clean cut or major damage

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by pick00l, Jan 20, 2021.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    LOL this is funny but illogical.

In case serious though:

There are a plethora of valid arguments for both broadhead styles, to pretend otherwise is to choose to be ignorant.

Okiebob and Shocker99 like this.
  2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Mechanicals with the proper bow set up and proper weighted arrow work very well with mechanicals you have to consider more than just the broad head.

3. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This topic will be like the Holy Wars. 2000 years from now we will be having the same discussion and conflict.

tynimiller likes this.
  4. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    To me it isn't a debate, any logical and sensical person knows full well there are benefits of each dependent upon impact - otherwise folks are just pig headed or pot stirrers.

Shocker99 likes this.
  5. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I honestly don't hold allegiance to either side. I just enjoy the banter. Especially when someone is firmly on one side only

cantexian and Justin like this.
  6. mt fighter

mt fighter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I agree, pros and cons of both. I just like always trying to learn from others experiences and never just do things because it’s the way I’ve always done it. Always trying to keep learning.

pick00l likes this.
  7. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Mechanicals aren’t even worthy of being shot from a crossbow!

8. Arthur Haines

Arthur Haines Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I find that any well-placed shot results in a dead animal. Therefore, I always encourage my students to focus on marksmanship and the various techniques that lead to consistently shooting accurately. I'm not claiming to be a pro archer, but any broadhead out there that is placed correctly on the animal's body will result in a dead deer.

Based on the marksmanship assumption, it comes down (to me) that the different styles of broadheads are really to take care of less than optimal shots. For example, mechanical broadheads that open up wide (with a greater cutting diameter than fixed blade broadheads) allow you to miss a little bit more and still create a lethal hit. Mechanical broadheads also allow you to get away with a bow that isn't tuned as well (because they don't plane out of line compared with the target point as much as fixed blade broadheads do). It really comes down to what you feel you need for a "helping hand" in a broadhead. Do you want the broadhead to give you more cutting diameter (to make up for lack of accuracy), do you want the broadhead to penetrate bone, do you want the broadhead to hit where your target points do with less tuning of the bow, etc.?

I use Valkyrie Broadheads (the Jagger, 200 grain) on deer. It only has a one-inch cutting diameter with the three blades (fairly small compared with many broadheads). Here, what I like is that they penetrate well (even through bone) and they are nearly indestructible (I have yet to damage one).

pick00l likes this.
  9. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Broadhead selection IMO should have a number of factors, but if one is avoiding issues with a bows tune - that person shouldn't shoot at live animals period.

pick00l and cantexian like this.
  10. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Great idea in theory. In the real world, this will never happen.

Until we're all shooting crossbows that don't need to be tuned. :chewy:

pick00l and tynimiller like this.
  11. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Oh for sure, realistically I'd venture about half the hunting population in my opinion are not proficient with or knowledgeable enough with their weapon of choice for me to support them attempting to harvest an animal if we are honest.

12. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’m going to get the Twin Strike and have a mechanical on one bolt and a fixed on the other. That way I have no excuses. One arrow at 410 grains and the other at 620.

pick00l likes this.
  13. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone had good luck with a hybrid like a trocar? Ive never personally shot one or know anyone who has.

14. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You can kill a deer with a field point if your shot placement is correct, but that doesn’t mean that it’s the best option. I don’t like tracking a deer for 4 hours so I stick with big mechanicals. Only thing I have ever shot a deer with is a grim reaper whitetail special. I’m sure there are other mechanical and fixed Broadheads out there that work just as well, but those are the first ones I tried when I started bowhunting and they worked great when I shot my first deer and I’ve never lost a deer since that wasn’t due to my own f’ up so why change? I did try some rage Broadheads on one hunt but those damn plastic rings were too fragile for me so by the time I got up into the stand all my Broadheads had one or 2 blades flapping around loose. Maybe if I did switch to a fixed blade then it would open up some additional shot opportunities like the venerable Texas heart shot or let me take a poke at a 60yd buck on the move but even then, I would rather just let him pass so I can look forward to getting him another day when he comes in closer and I can stop him. At the very least that’ll provide me with another couple days out in the woods hunting.

Also, also of my 3 main hunting spots, one is thick woods that doesn’t even offer a chance to see a deer that’s more than 40 yds away, much less shoot at it. And the other is an active golf course and the final one is a narrow strip of property sandwiched between a river one side and a Wendy’s and wal-mart on the other and at those you can’t really be taking questionable shots that result a wounded deer running 200-300 yds with an arrow sticking out of its liver then bedding down to die on a putting green or in a drive-thru as that can cause quite a stir with the general non-hunting public. So no matter where I hunt short broadside or slightly quartering-away shots through the lungs are a must and I can’t think of a single reason why anything a fixed or a smaller mechanical broadhead has to offer would be better than 3 blades that are 2-1/2” wide going through both lungs.

15. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Penetration n 2 holes.:bow:

cantexian likes this.
  16. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    IMG_20210127_210041.gif

17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Only head I will use last 3 seasons. No blade retention bands or clips. My only regret is that they do not make them in 125 grain.

Shocker99 likes this.
  18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt with an arrow that weighs around 475 grains 29" DL 72#DW supposedly way over kill. Never heard anybody say I wish I didn't hit that deer so hard with the Muzzy Trocar, or any mechanical.

Shocker99 likes this.