Do moose bottom rounds really suck and other musings

Discussion in 'Game Processing, Recipes & Cooking' started by trial153, Dec 18, 2020.

1. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe it was the 30 inches of snow and being home all day tending the fire? Maybe it was the three neat bourbon'? Maybe it was that Rokslide thread about moose bottom rounds sucking?
    Anyway it had me thinking. Do moose bottom rounds really suck so bad they they should be put in a grind lug?
    Being so close to Newfoundland....wait is 20 hours of driving and an over night ferry close? Probably not but that's what I tell my wife when go bow hunt there about every three years or so. Luckily that often puts a moose in the freezer.
    Back to the bottom round. It was staring at me from the freezer, pleading that it doesn't really suck....so I hacked it into cutlets. I then pounded them a bit and turned them into moose piccata, well sorta of... That is I lightly breaded and then fried them, after which I then placed them in a hot glass pan and sat them in the oven. The still hot frying pan was deglazed with a bit of white wine, which I also drank...a pat of butter, a bit it of garlic, some fresh parsley, chopped capers and the juice of a lemon.
    Please dont grind your bottom rounds....
    Merry Christmas [​IMG][​IMG]

Okiebob, cantexian, axtell343 and 2 others like this.
  2. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone who grounds anything off of a moose besides the neck, rib trim, and front shoulders is an idiot. Looks delicious.

trial153 likes this.
  3. trial153

Dislikes Received:
  4. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Moose is outstanding, my favorite of all wild game I've tried.
    I would run the bottom rounds through a cuber. Can't imagine just making them grind. Only unimaginative people that don't really care for wild game all that much would grind them IMO.
    We have to draw for one, and are only allowed one bull and one cow in our lifetime in Idaho. No freaking way I'm grinding decent cuts.
    That looks outstanding BTW.

trial153 likes this.
  5. trial153

Dislikes Received:

Yea, considering the amount of meat you get and the quality moose really hard to beat. I am at the point were I am trying to go every third year or so just to not have some in the freezer.
    My dad and are heading back next year for that reason. Not to mention they are an awesome animal to bow hunt.

Mod-it likes this.