Let's have a little fun and forget the current events for a spell

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Vabowman, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As a child of the 80's I was infatuated with professional wrestling. For those of you that remember, I was an NWA/WCW fan, not much on the wwf. I just thought the NWA/WCW was more raw.. I was "heel" guy. I was an avid follower of the 4 Horsemen. Tully, Flair, Arn and Lex were my favorite 4. Nobody could promo quite like them, well maybe The Dream, Dusty Rhodes , "hard times" promo was awesome.. what about you all?

2. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I actually went to a match once...That ended my even slight interest.
    I grew up in the late 60's and early 70' s with womans roller derby...loved it. Our area had two big rinks and the school had monthly skating "parties" in the high school gym.

3. janesburg

janesburg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was a AWA fan which I think was mostly broadcast in the Midwest. Grew up watching The Crusher, Nick Bonkwinkle, The Claw, Bobby Heenan.

My coworker grew up in the south and tells a funny story of throwing and hitting Dusty Rhoades with a hot dog during a match. Dusty picked it up and took a bite.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Sota likes this.
  4. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You're going back to the days when TBS shows started at 5 minutes past the hour.

I could never get into WCW back then. watched WWF mainly and always checking to see if Saturday Night Main Event was on.

Stopped watching for several years and got back into it when they started squaring off and Nash and Hall jumped ship and WCW created the N.W.O.

Once McMahon took over both companies I lost all interest and cannot watch it anymore.

Vabowman likes this.
  5. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeh I stopped watching about 1990 then watched it again about 1997-1999 wcw and then lost interest in it.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am an old school fan of the AWA in the midwest I went to cards, I have read books and played craps with Wally Crarbo the former commissioner of the AWA at a pheasants forever event. Love old school wrestling.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The WWE died when the rock and stone cold left.

8. The Old Man

The Old Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I only watched occasionally when younger. I can only remember Vern Gagne. I remember hearing the older kids argue over whether it was real or staged. Some of those discussion almost broke out into a match.

9. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Lol...just ask Geraldo....that I do remember, Dang Geraldo John Stossel it's all the same...though my bad it was Stossel

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  10. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    junkyard dog!!!

Swamp Stalker and outdoorjoe like this.
  11. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When I was young, I watched AWA.

Got in a fight one day, that was the end of watching wrestling. Knew it had to be fake.

12. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was a child of the 80's yet do not recognize ANYTHING you are referencing in your post aside from WWF... lol

13. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    The NWA/WCW was a Jim Crocket promotions. Think, Ric Flair, Wahoo Mcdaniel, Ricky Steamboat, lots of others wrestled in the NWA. Wrestling used to be broken up into territories. AWA, NWA, Mid Atlantic, Fla, etc

14. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was a HUGE wrestling fan growing up. Started watching the summer of 88. Summerslam 88 was my first ppv I paid for and I'll never forget it. Ultimate warrior shocked the world and beat the honkey-tonk man in 2 minutes. I stopped watching in the mid 90s when I realized no girl liked a guy who wore a hulk hogan jacket in High school.

I got back into it in 2007-2010 when my son started watching it. We had a blast going to the live events, meeting the wrestlers at the back of the arenas for autographs.

I recently (last year) got back into wrestling, after seeing an ad for a new wrestling promotion on TNT called AEW. AEW is a company that allows the wrestlers' freedom to create their own storylines, not be treated like junk by Vince Mcmahon. You can see the energy and rejuvenation in the wrestlers when they perform every Wednesday night on TNT at 8pm. It is exciting and high flying. I HIGHLY recommend watching an episode.

Vabowman likes this.