Team 5 - Legends of the Fall

Discussion in '2020 Deer Contest' started by cls74, Aug 31, 2020.

1. dmax4me

dmax4me Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been taking my 11 year old grand daughter out trying to get her a buck in Ohio. Heading back out Friday. Hopefully we can make it happen this weekend because they are going to start dropping. There's a couple bucks coming in at night that are at least 150". She shot a 3.5 year old 10 point last year on 12/27. If we get close and need a doe, I'll shoot one but I'm more set on getting a buck for Lexi.

Attached Files:

cls74 likes this.
  2. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    We'll see how it goes by the time August gets here, it's not all about people not showing up. I've kinda lost a little bit of that fire since my uncle passed a few years ago, definitely not as motivated to get out as I used to be. I've hunted 3 times this season. Gotta do something to get myself back into it mentally, then add in the physical limitations and I have no idea what that really holds for the future. Definitely won't be any dragging or lifting them onto the 4 wheeler/bed of the truck.

We'll see, I just need one of them easy buttons to reset myself :lol:

dmax4me likes this.
  3. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck with that, be a special time indeed.

dmax4me likes this.
  4. dmax4me

Dislikes Received:
    I hear you. My dad took his buck on the first day of archery, my brother-inlaw took his about 4 weeks ago, so I've been hunting by myself several weeks. I'm 56 years old, so I'm no young chicken anymore either. It took me 4 tries to get that buck I shot up on the 4 wheeler to get it out. I was sliding it up on boards like my father has done in the past and he's 75. Needless to say, there was a lot of very heavy breathing in between every attempt to get it on the 4 wheeler.

5. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a plastic sled a few years ago and it worked great when I shot my buck that year. There was snow on the ground so no worries. Snow is normally hard to come by during deer season here anymore, so if it is not super wet from a recent rain I just drag them up behind the 4 wheeler, not going to last long, be brittle the colder it gets or wear through the plastic and fall apart eventually.. I really like the sled though, so I think I'm going to do it a bit different.

Buy a sheet of 1/8" aluminum and pay one of the welders at work to weld me up a full aluminum sled, make it 30" wide by 6' long with 4 inch sides. Cut it out on the water jet at work to get curves on the front end so it can be pulled up and over any logs and such or dig into the ground. almost like a mini jon boat :lol:

Figure it would last quite the while on most terrain before it could wear through. Either that or some sort of fold up wheeled wagon/trailer.

I'll probably never do it though, I'm a procrastinator, but I like to think big :lol:

MUDSHARK likes this.
  6. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's not a bad idea with the aluminum. Could also attach wheels to it, then it could be pulled across dry land if no snow.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

7. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I thought about that too, somehow make it interchangeable so you could have it as a sled or trailer depending on terrain.

Holt likes this.
  8. anthonyzink

anthonyzink Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey sorry guys ended totally my truck unfortunately then life really slapped me if the face a couple weeks later and didn’t really get out a whole lot due to having to get use to a new normal and adjusting my life...I passed 3 good deer this year that have made it through the season and should be slammers next year...I have tell the 15th to fill my now 2 doe tags which won’t be a problem!!! Sorry everyone for the lack of support for our team!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tc racing, cls74 and Holt like this.
  9. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck again in the morning, make some memories!

dmax4me likes this.
  10. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    some teams get a lot of participation and some don't. next year you may get on an awesome team that keeps it interesting all year. my last team was like that. hang in there. i'll be out again starting on monday.

11. dmax4me

Dislikes Received:
    We didn't see anything Saturday morning. Moved to a different spot for the evening hunt where I had Turnips and Radishes planted. We started seeing little bucks early. About 1/2 hour before sunset I could see what looked like an 8 point at the end of the field, 200 yards away. He finally made it down to us with about 5 minutes of shooting light left. She shot him back a little bit but I heard him crash and she took out his liver. I love those Rage Xtreme's. Lexi is 11 years old and guess what she got? A 11 point that ended up scoring 133-3/8". She had tears running down her face after she shot it. She was so excited. Last year when she was 10, she got a 10 point. I told her that this can't keep going like this. Very proud moment for me. I taught her to shoot guns at the age of 4 and started her shooting the crossbow at 7. This is her 4th buck with a crossbow.

Attached Files:

12. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats to you both!

dmax4me likes this.
  13. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome! I bet your so proud!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

dmax4me likes this.
  14. tc racing

Dislikes Received:
    awesome! way to go!

dmax4me likes this.
  15. Rjhart12pt

Rjhart12pt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well its been awhile since I posted here. Not a good season for me. Not a good anything the last 3 seasons. Most know I missed a doe and a buck this year. Been having issues with my accuracy. Had my bow to 2 different shops and they say set-up is pretty darn good. Shot pretty good before season started. Not sure what issue is. Not blaming the bow but it is 10 years old and I think I might get a new one for next season. Start over. Got a nice raise at work that will help. Anyway my birthday is coming up on the 18th and I might go see if I can put something down on my birthday. Would be a first. Probably be my last hunt after that. Glad to be a part of the team. Enjoyed the journey and pictures of everyone's successes. Be back again next year. Take care everyone if I don't get back on.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Holt likes this.
  16. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

tik tok, time is ticking down

17. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Taunting?

That's a game changer!

MUDSHARK likes this.
  18. tc racing

Dislikes Received:
    i shot another doe this morning. i might get out saturday morning to try for a buck.

dmax4me, MUDSHARK, Holt and 1 other person like this.
  19. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!

tc racing likes this.
  20. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes taunting

16 days left.