Coming out of Retirement

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Trevor Yokley, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Trevor Yokley

Trevor Yokley Newb

Dislikes Received:
    New guy here coming out of my bow hunting retirement to pick it up again. When I was bow hunting years ago I had an older PSE which is now probably 15 years old. Obviously the technology has improved dramatically and I’m looking for suggestions on a new bow. I would really like to try some Elites but the only dealer in my area only carries the newest Elite flagships which are more than I would like to spend. Is brace height more important to someone who hasn’t shot in a long time? Or is anyone in the Des Moines Iowa area that can point me to a shop with Elites? Thanks

2. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Really look into the Mission bows...When I was looking it came down to a PSE or Mission and I went Mission hands down.

3. Trevor Yokley

Trevor Yokley Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Any model in particular? What made you go, this is the right bow?

4. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting question but why change? I bet your old bow would put venison in the freezer like a new one. Remember that longbows and recurves are still used for hunting and are centuries old. My bows are 40+ and 25+ years old.

5. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    They have several new models since I bought my Venture. I'm a ...Thrifty person so a big ,for me, purchase takes time. I went to several places with shooting ranges to shoot different bows. It was feel, I had a Hoyt but they changed their design from when I had bought my first compound. That took them out of the running, just and awkward feel for me. The Mission also has that good Mathews warrenty.

6. Trevor Yokley

Trevor Yokley Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I’m sure it would have but I sold it off when I stopped bow hunting. If I still had it I would use it to get back into the hang of things but I no longer have it.

oldnotdead likes this.
  7. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I had my raider/ intruder Hoyt for 15 yrs . Great and took many deer, but hey, slower and noisier than new bows. So even if you had your old bow looking into something that can improve your experience can be a good thing.

Trevor Yokley likes this.
  8. Ks.hunter

Ks.hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think the best thing to do is locate a good shop and go there. Tell them your price point and shoot everything in that price point. No one, not even the experts can tell you what bow is best for you

Trevor Yokley, oldnotdead and BB1 like this.
  9. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I understand, Trevor. Good luck as there are a lot of choices. Buying a bow is like buying a car...where to start.
    Many years ago, I sold a rifle and .44 magnum pistol. They now cost 4-5 times what I paid for them in the late 70s.

10. BB1

BB1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don’t get too hung up on brand, as previously stated shoot everything in your price range and let the bow pick you.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums