How much worse can this month get?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by LittleChief, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not much more you can do, can't say you didn't try.

cantexian and LittleChief like this.
  2. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Gah!!!

Man I hope Elly May comes home soon!! Feel for you and your wife Chief.

Side note: My daughter is named Elly May. I was a bit smitten by Donna Douglas growing up. My daughter is turning out to live up to her namesake in both beauty and her love for critters.

LittleChief likes this.
  3. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Still no positive news.

My wife was up until almost 1:00 am last night and she said about midnight a car drove by very slowly. She thought we heard something so she opened the door and heard someone we don't know calling for Elly May.

I guess the $300 reward we offered motivated some people.

You never know, they might get lucky and find her. To be honest, I'm afraid at this point she's either dead or someone picked her up. The flyers are really targeting someone who might have picked her up.

I printed out 30 more flyers and we're about to drive farther out and give one to anyone who might drive through here on their way home.

4. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Really sucks LC. I keep checking this thread hoping for good news.
    Here's a story to try to help you stay positive.
    We had a couple of cats when my daughters still lived at home. They normally wouldn't let them outside, too afraid they'd get ran over, but they did finally start letting Trixie go out often (the other one was scared of its own shadow and wanted nothing to do with going outside).
    Trixie would normally return the same day, but as time went on she would sometimes be gone for 2 or 3 days. Then one time she was gone. A week, two, three went by. Figured she'd gotten ran over or someone else decided to keep her. Two months went by. She is considered gone forever by all of us.
    One morning I'm getting ready for work, I go in at 4:30 a.m. so no one else is up, house is very quiet. While in the kitchen making coffee I thought I heard a meow. When Trixie wanted in she would sit outside the door and meow and then start jumping up and batting the door knob if too much time went by. Then I hear another meow, followed by the sound of the door knob being hit. I opened the door and there that damn cat sat. She was skinny and her fur was pretty rough looking, so I think she was adventuring the entire time. Went straight to the food bowl like she was starving.

I wish I would've taken the morning off so I could've seen the girl's faces when they saw that she was back. Their mother said it was a very smiley, happy morning in the house.

JeffC, LittleChief and Wop 75 like this.
  5. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    We’re trying to keep our hopes up.

We stopped at 30 houses this morning and I gave them all a flyer. Everyone was really decent and understanding.

6. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    LC my heart goes out to you. I had to put down my 14 year old collie the first week of November and have been a mess since. But I do have a story of hope. When I left for my second year of college, I had rented a house with a yard and my never seen a fenced yard 5 year old border collie made a game of getting out. He even got out and found him a blue heeler in heat once which lead to my second dog... Anyway, I come one night and he is gone. Call the shelter, drive around, hang flyers and knocked on doors- nothing and no sign of him. A week turned into a month and then two months later this turd shows back up, on the farm- 25 miles as the crow flies, 40 miles following the same river that runs through both towns, Norman and Tuttle Oklahoma. My mom called and asked why I had dropped Zeke off without any explanation. I couldn't get back to the farm fast enough, skipped class and called in sick to work. Zeke was not a City dog and lived out his life watching out for my mom out on the farm. I still cannot believe he found his way back home but he did, little worse for wear but that was him to a T.

7. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I appreciate it Bob. I really do.

My biggest worry is that Elly May has never seen a night colder than a summer night with the AC set at 65 degrees. That's what we normally set the AC for. She's never spent a night outdoors. In fact, I always use two small blankets and tuck her in in my recliner (that's where she likes to sleep) every night.

The last three nights have been below freezing with wind chills in the teens. If she survived that then there's still the question of what would happen if she happens upon one of the houses with Pit Bulls, hounds or mutts running loose.

Like I said, all I can do at this point is wait and hope for the best. Thank you again, though.

8. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Still hoping and praying for a happy ending here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeffC and LittleChief like this.
  9. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Germ. So are we, but it's not looking good now. There really isn't much chance she's still alive unless someone picked her up and took her home with them. Everyone in this county most likely knows we're looking for her and that there's a reward for her return.

I could really use a good night's sleep. For the first three nights I'd go to bed early and my wife would stay up listening. She would come to bed and I'd get up and take the night shift listening.

Since then we've been leaving the blinds up, the front porch lights and the back floodlights on. We haven't had a fan or an A/C running for background noise because we want to be able to hear the other dogs barking just in case. Needless to say with all the deer around here they bark off and on at all hours of the night and I end up grabbing the thermal imager and walking outside in the freezing weather to see if it might be her. It's always been deer, raccoons or some other critter. All the years I spent on ships left me unable to sleep without background noise, so I've been hearing every sound.

We haven't even been willing to watch a movie because we might not hear barking if she comes back.

10. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just read this whole thread and i dont think i have a fingernail left. LC youd be surprised how their survival instincts kick in. I had a dog lost for a week and he came back home. Looked like he went through a war but he made it. Dont lose hope but you guys do need to get some rest. Sending prayers and good mojo your way.

cantexian, LittleChief and Wop 75 like this.
  11. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My father always said some people would steal Christ off the cross and go back after dark for the nails. He was in the Philippines during WWII. Said there were people who would cut your throat for a cigarette. Didn't trust any locals.

LittleChief likes this.
  12. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Well folks, do you believe in Christmas miracles?

Elly May found her way home just 10 minutes ago!

My son and two of my grandkids are here. I heard my Pomchi Dizzy having a hissy fit at the fence. I knew something was actually there (you can tell). I grabbed the thermal imager and saw a heat signature on the other side of the fence. I recognized the silhouette as soon as I saw it.

I hit my knees and petted her through the fence while grabbing my phone to call Beth in the house. Beth answered and I told her "Get out here! Elly May is back!"

Beth came screaming out of the house, went through the gate, ran to her, picked her up and handed her to me over the fence. Once more, we cried, but this time it felt wonderful. My son had to explain to my young grandkids why Grandpa was crying. :lol:

Best Christmas ever!!!

13. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome!!Glad to hear it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

LittleChief likes this.
  14. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    IMG_1651.jpg
    She’s a lot thinner now but she’s getting a good meal and then she’ll get a bath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    awesome! I told you they can be gone a while and find their way home.. beagles and hounds are amazing dogs with a hell of a nose! Merry Christmas!!

JeffC, Wop 75 and LittleChief like this.
  16. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    To quote the Fonz, this made me a little misty eyed. Glad she made it home for Christmas good sir.
    Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

LittleChief likes this.
  17. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    One of the best things I heard all day! What a miracle. I can only imagine the joy that is in your and your wife's heart!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

dprsdhunter and LittleChief like this.
  18. dprsdhunter

dprsdhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    LittleChief likes this.
  19. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I'll be !! ..... praise to the big guy upstairs ... I'll bet she got on a deer or a rabbit and off she went ..... now, keep that darn gate closed !! ....

LittleChief likes this.
  20. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I guarantee she’ll never manage to sneak out again without me seeing.