Camo comparison

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by JHasty, Dec 24, 2020.

1. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys I strictly bow hunt here in Georgia. Season is about over for us and I may be in the market for some new gear next year. I primarily use Realtree camo. Real tree edge this year. I was looking at some of Scentloks late season gear and they are not offering the edge pattern in the coat and bibs I was looking at. They are offering Realtree Escape, Mossy Oak Terra Gila, and True Timber 02 Whitetail. I am trying to narrow a choice of the pattern down but I don't want to buy a pattern that makes me stick out. I am wanting to get some of my fellows hunters opinions on which pattern you think will be a good all around pattern for late season or which pattern you use or like and why. A little about my hunting style is I mainly hunt out of lock ons and ground blinds from time to time and mostly hardwoods bottoms and pines here in Georgia. From what I have been reading the Realtree Escape and Mossy Oak Terra Gila are both geared towards Western hunters so I didn't want to buy a pattern that would not work good in the woods here in Georgia. Thanks in advance!

Realtree.jpg Mossy Oak.jpg True Timber.jpg

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  2. toadmeister

toadmeister Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What if I told you none of those patterns matter?

If it fits good, is quiet, cozy and and comfortable, has good utilitarian pockets, wear it and enjoy your hunt and don’t overthink the patterns. Heck mix and match different patterns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    +1

JHasty likes this.
  4. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Rented a video back just after the earth cooled and was surprised that the bowhunter had a camo shirt and hat...and jeans. His position was that movement is more important than concealment.

JHasty likes this.
  5. BB1

BB1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Another possible option...
    Get an ASAT vanish pro cover suit and wear it over your existing camo. I have been using one for years during early, mid and late season. I hunt hardwoods in Missouri from stands and off the ground. It is designed to break up the human outline as deer see color, however it looks very odd to the human eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

JHasty likes this.
  6. toadmeister

Dislikes Received:
    If your sitting/standing in the open, yes ASAT is probably the best. I have their ghille suit and have had mature bucks look right through me out in the open on the ground when I’m still and the wind favors me.

90% of my whitetail hunts are from a tree stand and really any budget camo or drab and faded solids will do the job. Flannel and faded blue jeans can do the job too. That said, I like good gear and have some nice jackets and pants/bibs from First Lite and Sitka for the comfort and utility of them. I can sit longer and enjoy myself when I’m comfortable

JHasty likes this.
  7. Sharp things

Sharp things Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What he said, the pattern does not matter one bit. It could be plaid and be just as effective. Buy warmth and comfort, not style.

JHasty likes this.
  8. Gills

Gills Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think the True Timber Whitetail is the best of the three. It’s not as dark and solid at a distance. I like the Scentlok fit and performance myself. My Scentlok is Realtree Advantage/Edge so I don’t have any of the new patterns.

JHasty likes this.
  9. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ive used Predator since it came out back in the '80's/early '90's, deer look right thru me .... the Fall Gray is my go to pattern and start using it once the leaf's start changing to no leaves later in the season and the snow and have the Ambush Bib's and G2 Coat and their Fleece pants (I added suspenders) and their Micro Fleece coat ... I like a pattern to break up my outline, Fall Gray does that ... for early warm season and Turkey season, I use ASAT in a leafy suit and wear it over existing realtree and MO patterns/clothes I also have... out of what you showed above, I like the bottom pattern ...

Predator-Fall-Gray.jpg

JHasty and oldnotdead like this.
  10. Skunkworkx

Skunkworkx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've had really good luck with some realtree bark style camo.

Right now a buddy hooked me up with some Army BDU's I think look promising.

ACU BDU....new stuff they wear now.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    JHasty likes this.
  11. toadmeister

Dislikes Received:
    Not nocking Predator, but that picture looks great because of perfect lighting and conditions. You can find equally good marketing pictures of Realtree or Mossy Oak.

They can all work. I would give open patterns like Predator an edge especially if silhouetted.

JHasty likes this.
  12. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I often dont wear any camo at all and I cant see any difference at all. Wear whatever makes you happy. I pick the highest quality most functional clothing I can find. Camo is way down on the list. In fact if it comes in solid color I prefer that.

JHasty likes this.
  13. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    that may be so but when deciding to hunt above ground having a lighter back ground is far better in some areas than a darker one. In the grey northern areas where deer routinely look up to tree branches against a light sky it's the best. I learned this long ago and even paint my blinds like this.. Not great on the ground in fall but helps to translate to snow cover on ground. I know exactly where my blinds are but can not see some of them at a distance in the woods due to the sky line colors.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    JHasty likes this.
  14. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am the same way oldnotdead. All of my stuff is Realtree Edge. I emailed Scentlok and asked them if they would be coming out with this jacket and the matching bibs and the answer I got was these patterns will be out next year but they would mention me wanting it in Realtree Edge to their people which translates to its not happening. I was thinking the same thing about the True Timber Whitetail but I have never seen that pattern in person so I wanted to get some input from fellow hunters. I just don't want to order something and spend all of that money and not like it or it not do its job.

oldnotdead likes this.