The Orion Syndicate (#12) - 2020 & 2021 Champions

Discussion in '2022 Deer Contest' started by tynimiller, Aug 31, 2020.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm still stuck without a place currently...pops is only one I'm allowin on my place, however it is DEAD so that buck tag of his isn't going anywhere quickly. The owner of the other main spot we are supposed to get back on after firearms hasn't called...beginning to go from understanding to pissed...but whatever. I may go try and hit a spot I haven't been in a few years with a bow on the ground...doesn't hurt to try.

Oldcarp likes this.
  2. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for the delay, spent the day yesterday going to my sons Christmas show at his pre-school then some shopping...which is terrible(the shopping part). I got another doe the the other evening on the ground. I almost convinced myself that I was in a terrible spot, I had a little concealment in front of me but also a good 2ft gap between the cedars. The three doe walked out as planned and fed right into that opening, I managed to slowly get drawn without getting busted all while she was about 10-15yards feeding broadside. I pumped that I put another deer in the freezer, but I feel like with all the pandemic stuff that is most likely going to shutdown again, I need to put a few more in there.
    I still have plenty of time, I'd still like to get on another buck I have not seen much lately in the daylight. I have a few more spots picked out, they should work from the ground, I just need to wind to cooperate.
    There is still life in the thread! I'm extra excited to be on this team, I don't think I've been on a team that has stayed active all season, so thank you very much. Looks like we will be together again next season, I know for a fact my scouting and pre-season prep needs to get better. I will do my best to get things in line for a repeat win!

3. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations again!

I haven't felt much like hunting the past few days. We've got a lot on our minds right now.

4. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Inside 20 yards on the ground is a thrill. That takes some woodsmanship for sure. Congrats on getting another deer!

My scouting mission was a bust last night. I did see a couple of does, but a shotgun group had decided to help themselves to my land. I absolutely hate groups that drive deer and see no problem with trespassing. I already have plans for putting up video cameras that run on cell service for next year and I will prosecute. For now, all I had to go by was the tracks in the snow.

I did get a cell cam picture yesterday of a 150 class 8 pointer on another property. I like big 8's and he would do.

I still have my statewide archery tag and will get a late season muzzleloader landowner and statewide muzzy tag that will all start again on Monday. Our state allows the use of crossbow to fill late season muzzy tags. So, if I did that, would it count as an archery kill? If not, no big deal, but it would give me another option for the contest. It is supposed to warm up some and will be nice enough to sit in a tree with the vertical bow also.

S.McArthur and tynimiller like this.
  5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yup crossbow harvests count here. I'll be honest if it gets frigid I usually ask my Pops if I can use the crossbow....SO MUCH easier to be able to dress however I need to stay warm and not have to worry about drawing a bow back.

ash d and fletch920 like this.
  6. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Get after them Ty, they won’t put themselves in your belly.
    I’m trying to convince myself to get up and hunt in the morning, I hate that it gets to this point where the excitement is not there. I do like sitting in the cold bundled up though, there’s something peaceful to that. We shall see, I need to pack my stuff tonight though so I don’t give a reason to go back to sleep in the morning.

7. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would Ike to get back out but we got 41 inches of snow Wednesday night. I love hunting but I don’t see myself walking through that to get where I gotta go. My spots have been pretty slow this year. Team 12 has had a pretty good year deer wise.

8. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Woke up at 3am, rolled over and went back to sleep. Just got set up on a massive rub line hiding behind an old hay baler, this should be interesting if something come through. I may need to move off of here since the trail is coming head on with me.
    5C883414-FA58-419B-9020-7E858DE6F234.jpeg

Oldcarp, ash d and LittleChief like this.
  9. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck.

I might go out this afternoon if the rain lets up.

10. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That is a lot of snow. I saw on the news you guys got hit pretty hard

11. Team Haastyle

Team Haastyle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    HOLY SNOW!!! Yeah that would be tough to trek through that. Could possibly make it easy to pattern a deer on a major trail system though.

12. Brett Smith

Brett Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It seems the deer on my properties have all gone nocternal....the pictures show up between 2230 & 0510 hours.

13. farmer rick

farmer rick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Steve congrats on the doe! Really unique picture of the hay baler used as a blind.

Ash that's way to much snow!

Brett warm weather and very little snow has really slowed daylight deer movement here also.

LittleChief likes this.
  14. Mudlake3

Mudlake3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well my NY season is officially over. I wasn't able to get out much after shooting my buck, partly because the farm I hunt got sold, and I didn't want to hunt it until I was able to talk to the new owner. I was able to get permission from the new owner to hunt and went a few times, but not luck. Then like Ash, we got hammered with snow around 30" and that was a deterrent for me the last week of the season. I have enjoyed being on this team and keeping up with everyone's season. Good luck to everyone whose season is still going on.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

15. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Supposed to rain all night until about 4am, really want to get out, I can do wet, I can do cold, but I don’t like wet & cold. I’ll do a weather check at 4a and go from there. Probably hunt the ground or get into the hay trailer and catch them going from the field to bed.

farmer rick and Oldcarp like this.
  16. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We got moved into our new place. So to celebrate me and my youngest son went out duck hunting.
    Keep the deer stories coming.

Attached Files:

17. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like a good day oldcarp

Oldcarp likes this.
  18. farmer rick

farmer rick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like you had an action packed hunt Oldcarp! Great pictures!

I was on the water yesterday too, ice and ice fishing. Wish I took the camera along to take a before and after picture. Started out with just a trace of snow on the ice, started raining, snow disappeared and it made it look like ice shacks were sitting on open water. Fish didn't like the weather either didn't have many to clean lol.

Oldcarp likes this.
  19. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    4am weather check was met with a monsoon, I opened door, wind seemed like it was 20mph, rain sideways like Forrest Gump. Took my butt back to bed.

ash d, farmer rick and LittleChief like this.
  20. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Well gentlemen, it's Christmas Eve. One of my sons is showing up this evening with two of my grandchildren. They'll leave Sunday morning and then later Sunday two of my daughters are showing up along with three more grandchildren.

In case I get busy and don't get a chance tomorrow, I'll say now that I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas.

I was planning on beginning to hunt Arkansas new years weekend, but one of my daughters will still be here, so I'll have to wait until after that. Hunting Wattensaw WMA is always fun and very challenging. The deer are very educated, wary and difficult to get a shot on.

By the way, @fletch920, have you had any more chances to get out?

fletch920, ash d, Oldcarp and 2 others like this.