Very new to bow hunting. Any advice helps!

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by Myles Marburger, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Myles Marburger

Myles Marburger Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Howdy! I have for the past year been very interested in starting to learn how to bow hunt. I have been rifle hunting White Tail in West Texas since I was 10 years old. It brought a lot of joy but as I have gotten older, I have learned that working for something and having discipline has brought more joy in my life. I worked hard to get into Texas A&M University and will be the second person in my family to graduate from college here next semester. I am working for two start ups and currently looking for a full time career in the sports industry. I have always had a hard work ethic and I think that is why I have wanted to learn how to bow hunt. Something about training all year, getting in close range to a live animal, and making the perfect shot has me excited to learn. The areas I am struggling in though is finding a bow (with all attachments included) for less than $900 (I work but I pay for almost everything so money is tight). I have been told a Quest bow is good and I lift a lot so I feel like I could handle a 60 pound draw weight. My goal hunts one day is to shoot an Elk, Moose, and a Axis with a bow. I know that will take some time though that is why I will stick with White Tail for a bit. Honestly could use any advice. I will be turning 23 here this December and I am saving up for a bow as an early graduation gift to myself. Thank y'all so much and any advice helps!

2. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck and congrats on graduating. I like your attitude about bowhunting. It isn't easy and presents a challenge...like finishing college.
    Lots of bows out there. FWIW, my wife has a Diamond Infinite Edge Pro which is adjustable from 7-70 lb. draw weight. Here is a link to some simple exercises to build up strength. One archery owner said just shoot the bow and increase the draw weight as you gain strength.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/gallery/hunting/2010/06/get-bow-fit/

3. Myles Marburger

Myles Marburger Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you sir and I will be sure to read that link!