I am very new to bow hunting. Any advice helps!

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by Myles Marburger, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Myles Marburger

Myles Marburger Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Howdy! I have for the past year been very interested in starting to learn how to bow hunt. I have been rifle hunting White Tail in West Texas since I was 10 years old. It brought a lot of joy but as I have gotten older, I have learned that working for something and having discipline has brought more joy in my life. I worked hard to get into Texas A&M University and will be the second person in my family to graduate from college here next semester. I am working for two start ups and currently looking for a full time career in the sports industry. I have always had a hard work ethic and I think that is why I have wanted to learn how to bow hunt. Something about training all year, getting in close range to a live animal, and making the perfect shot has me excited to learn. The areas I am struggling in though is finding a bow (with all attachments included) for less than $900 (I work but I pay for almost everything so money is tight). I have been told a Quest bow is good and I lift a lot so I feel like I could handle a 60 pound draw weight. My goal hunts one day is to shoot an Elk, Moose, and a Axis with a bow. I know that will take some time though that is why I will stick with White Tail for a bit. Honestly could use any advice. I will be turning 23 here this December and I am saving up for a bow as an early graduation gift to myself. Thank y'all so much and any advice helps!

2. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    good for you on graduating from a great school! also, you can get a damn nice bow for 900$. for sure. If I were you, find a bow in that 500-600$ range and spend the rest on a good sight, rest, stabilizer, and the correct arrows for your set up and start shooting.

cantexian, Bootlegger and Fix like this.
  3. Myles Marburger

Myles Marburger Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you so much and any recommendations on brand or does it not matter as much and thank you sir, I am a proud first generation Aggie !

4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Listen to Vab. Your other option is to go to a Bow shop and check out the used bows.
    Also there is often bows on here. Stick to members with lots of posts.

Vabowman and Myles Marburger like this.
  5. Myles Marburger

Myles Marburger Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Will do and thank you!

6. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There is actually one for sale from tx a few threads down

But the guy is new and apparently hunting for big D lol so up to you on that dice roll

7. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    Brands are overrated in my opinion. I shoot a Mathews now, but I didn't like them for all my years...until they came out with one that fit me and I felt comfortable with it. I have shot and owned many brands. I am not loyal to any one brand. Most guys on here know what I mean. Sometimes it's an Elite, others it's a Bowtech or Mathews etc.. It just has to fit you and you have to be able to shoot with it. Now, with a budget of 900$ you will not be able to get a new flagship bow from any company. but you can get a damn good used flagship loaded for 900$ I promise you that. or you could go new and not a flagship bow and still get a killing machine.

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No rush go shoot all the brands you can, a good bowshop is more important than the brand. I bought my first bow from Cabelas if not for my local bowshop I would have been a very frustrated new bow hunter. Local owner really helped me out.

Vabowman likes this.
  9. Myles Marburger

Myles Marburger Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Would used bows come with more work or can I swap out things to make it more durable(new strings and wheels)? I am still learning the lingo haha.

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Strings and cables, some of the bows you buy new that are mid price and even some flagship models have weak strings and cables from the factory. Peep rotation can cause a lack of confidence when it is time to go from shooting to hunting. Thing is a new bow owner is going to shoot a lot before they hunt.

11. Myles Marburger

Myles Marburger Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'll have to check out my local ones in Houston. So really the bow structure itself is the only thing that doesn't matter
    Ahh so going to a local shop to get things tuned and in top shape is the way to go? And thanks for the heads up!

12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Finding a good bow shop is very important not one that just wants to sell you something and get you out the door. A bow that feels right to you when you shoot is more important than the brand. But when you do get a bow you will shot a lot of of excitement and desire, just know that shooting is just part of the equation of bow hunting, takes a lot of learning to figure out how to get close enough for a shot and learning to get drawn without getting busted, not to mention the tracking skills that are needed to be a successful bow hunter.

13. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Yes! Bow structure matters. Its part of what Sota was getting at when he said feels right.

The size of the bows grip area has a large impact on that. Too large or too small and it will not feel "right".

A good shop will let you shoot every bow they have. They will get your draw length figured out and set up bows that are very near that mark. They will take the time to give you basic instruction on form.

I would wait until after xmas to really start digging in. The shops will be more amenable to taking the time to get you going. A good shop will not push you into one particular bow, rest or sight.

And speaking of rests and sights, stay away from plastic framed (cheap) sights. Get a rest that is " micro" tuneable. This is where you want to spend money. You can cheap out on the first set of arrows to get you through summer and buy better ones come hunting season. Buy only 6 to start with. Your draw weight might change by hunting season. Again, a good shop will get you the correct arrow spine but shouldn't push you to a particular choice.

Good luck! There are many choices out there but you can find a set up in your price range

Myles Marburger likes this.
  14. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You are actually at the start of a awesome journey. With many rabbit holes. Try to find bow around 400-500. Make it your own as people have stated on here. You can ask us about each purchase but find your bow to begin with.

15. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    Fix and Sota are spot on. When we say used, we ain't talking about an early 90s bow! lol. We are talking something that is less than 3-5 years old. At least I am anyways. Most bows you will find excellent condition in that 3-5 year range. But, if you went new, look at Mission, Diamond, Bear archery...they seem to have a really good selection of mid range bows in that price point.

Fix likes this.
  16. Myles Marburger

Myles Marburger Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank y'all so much for all of y'alls advice. Just found out one of my buddies has a Hoyt and he is taking me shooting today to see. I drew the strings back and he said it was a 70 pound draw and was very easy to pull back for me so with some training and when I get my future bow later this month, should be a fun journey. I guess I will send pics later on of my set up haha.

Fix likes this.
  17. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Myles Marburger likes this.
  18. Myles Marburger

Myles Marburger Newb

Dislikes Received:
  19. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ask for bare bow price.