Team 5 - Legends of the Fall

Discussion in '2020 Deer Contest' started by cls74, Aug 31, 2020.

1. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Even a fat lady can get throat punched :lol:

2. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry i havent been on much as of late. hunting out of service and trying to sleep. looks like lockdown is over. i've been seeing bucks the last three sits. today i saw 11 different bucks. i passed on a couple decent ones because i know there are a couple bigger ones in there and i can still hunt tomorrow. i have a good feeling for tomorrow morning. good luck all!

Holt and cls74 like this.
  3. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    First shotgun season is this weekend here, no tags so my next chance out will be Thanksgiving.

Learned today I was exposed to the virus plaguing the world yesterday, unsure of how this pans out truthfully. Not worried about the virus itself for me, my bigger concern is spreading it to others, especially with Thanksgiving next week. Going to get tested tomorrow or Saturday, is what it is I guess. A bit pissed off because in my opinion it could have been and should have been completely preventable.

Good luck to all of you, and for those traveling in the coming week safe travels and enjoy that time with family this Thanksgiving, if you choose to do so.

tc racing likes this.
  4. dmax4me

dmax4me Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hope you test negative. I just heard today that my son and his wife both have it. My wife kept their kids for a day when I was in Ohio about 12 days ago. I'm thinking we should be ok. Good luck to you CLS!

tc racing and cls74 like this.
  5. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Appreciate it, but either way I am not too worried aside from giving it to the more susceptible.

I hope your son and daughter in law recover fully and it does sound like your wife is in the clear for that exposure chance. Either way, keep vigilant and enjoy the upcoming holidays(s) to the best you can.

6. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    well here we go last day of our regular season. don't worry guys i bowhunt through our gun season and i still have late season yet.

7. Rjhart12pt

Rjhart12pt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Youth gun is this weekend in ohio then adult gun starts Monday after Thanksgiving and lasts 7 days. I know the area i hunt gets hit hard for adult gun season. I've watched the farmer on the backside of the property i hunt drive 4 guys up into the woods and drop them off. Then he goes to other end of his property and pushes deer to them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

8. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    202011201001.jpg

Lol

tc racing and Rjhart12pt like this.
  9. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What's happening guys?

I'm still hunting a good bit, just not posting about it. Last sit I had a nice little 6 pt come in and stand 12 feet from me for almost 30 minutes. Just to small. Be back out maybe tomorrow evening or the next day. Then I'm definitely getting out Friday morning.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

10. Rjhart12pt

Dislikes Received:
    What is "average" for antler width? Are antlers to the edge of the ears average, outside the ears considerd above average width, inside the ears below average? Alot of the deer I've seen in the area I hunt are almost to the end of the ears. Few get outside the ears. Just wondering. I might have to spend next year scouting public or get permission for some other private land. Just not seeing the quality and quantity of deer the last 3 years or so. I only hunt about 14 acres, but I used to see 20+ deer in the pasture beside me some mornings and evenings. Now I'm lucky if I see 3 or 4 out there. Going to try and get out at least twice before Monday. Gun season is all next week.

11. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For me it's just a unit of measurement. A buck with a inside spread out to his ears is usually 15" spread for me. So it helps when I'm field judging a buck. I would say on average most bucks in my area are around 16" wide. I've never shot a buck that was over 19" wide. Love to shoot one that's around 24" but don't think I have ever seen one while hunting.

12. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm still around, haven't been back out since killing my buck. Was exposed to Covid at work while training a guy from nights on a new part, tested negative somehow, but at the time I was tested and up to now have had a small cough. Work won't allow me to return until I am 24 hour removed from it.

Think it has more to do with me sleeping with a fan on at night and keeping the thermostat at 67-68 at night than it does anything else.

Hoping to get out Turkey day for a morning hunt, need to grab my 4 wheeler that I had to leave the day I shot my buck, gonna have to quarter up anything I kill, if I get lucky enough, to haul everything back. Brown and down pretty much from this point forward.

As for average width, I would think that would be all about the age structure and overall size of bucks in a given area.

I usually give 5 1/2 - 6" for each ear and 4" for the skull so looking at 15-16" for a deer out to his ears. My average this year for deer seen on stand was probably 13" or so.

I don't think I could even begin to guess an average width where I hunt. Maybe be able to break it down by age class, but I wouldn't even know where to begin trying to obtain such info. Would take a lot of scouting and trail cams I presume.

13. Rjhart12pt

Dislikes Received:
    It was pouring after work so I decided to run by the property and pull a card that has been out a week now. Got a new buck come through the property never seen before. 2 blurry pictures from Nov 22nd at 5:30pm. This is the caliber buck I'm used to seeing taken around this area. Hope he stays around. Will definitely be out this weekend. 20201125_155342.jpeg 20201125_155355.jpeg

tc racing and dmax4me like this.
  14. dmax4me

Dislikes Received:
    That's a mature buck.

15. dmax4me

Dislikes Received:
    Wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving today.
    I'll be headed back to Ohio this evening to be on stand tomorrow morning. I'll have 3 more days to get it done before the Orange Brigade comes in on Monday. Good Luck and don't give up yet.

tc racing and Holt like this.
  16. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Happy Thanksgiving!

Lazy day for me and will be on stand tomorrow. Then Saturday is opener for MD rifle season. I will still be out with my bow, but deer will be hard to find after the first day. Good luck guys!

tc racing likes this.
  17. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Buck down fellas! He's not going to score much, but he's my first longbow kill!

Just got him entered also!

20201202_182920.jpg 20201202_182943.jpg

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    tc racing, Rjhart12pt and cls74 like this.
  18. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats again @Holt!

I haven't been out since shooting my buck. Honestly not sure if I'll get back out or not. Waiting to get my deer back, hopefully by Saturday, to see just how much freezer space I actually have.

Right now work is seeking their revenge on me, so probably not in the offering the next couple weekends.

Would love to get some snow on the ground to help motivate me.

Holt likes this.
  19. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

20. Rjhart12pt

Dislikes Received:
    I was out twice during gun season with my bow hoping they would be running around scared, but I saw 0 deer. Heard a bunch of gun shots though. The property I hunt butts up to a state park that has archery only hunting for 6 weeks. Must win a draw to hunt. No guns. I think all the deer run over there during gun season and will eventually make their way back. I'll try and get out a few more times before Christmas, then I'm off from December 24th to January 3rd. Try to get out more then. Been hard, my wife works for the health department and has been working crazy hours. 2 of my kids were on quarantine for sitting beside a student who tested positive, so its automatically 10 days for them. One has been quarantined twice. Kinda sucks right now, but just gotta keep living life the best you can.

MUDSHARK and Holt like this.