Tree saddle hunting...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mikerock85, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Got my Mission platform today. It's definitely a substantial piece of equipment! I may as well just bring my LW Assault with me and stand on that thing. :lol: If you're looking for bigger, heavier duty and more stable than the Ridgerunner, this sucker is it.

I'm definitely going to need a better pack for all this crap.

cantexian, Happy and Swamp Stalker like this.
  2. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    One thing I've noticed about my climbing system is that it is noisy. Contrary to popular belief, I do not have rock solid abs, so the platform teeth scrapes up against the tree as my 3 stomach muscles try fighting through the weight of my fat thighs to bring the platform up higher. The other climbing technique I experimented with, the double tether technique, requires something (not sure what) that I don't have either.

I have a smaller platform made out of a primal V-step that weighs in at 2 pounds that would go great with the single stick method. I'm thinking of buying a single lone wolf stick to attempt the one stick method, but of course, in-season price on a single stick is $70. I've thought about making my own stick out of remnants of my Summit viper 1 1/4" tubing, but the prices on the hardware add up to over $50. Not sure which route I'll go, I just know that I don't like the noise my existing climbing system creates.

3. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You can order stick parts from www.doublesteps.com if you want to DIY sticks. I have not done sticks, but I ordered just about everything from them to DIY my platform. They are great business to work with and focus almost exclusively on saddle hunting gear. It should come with everything you need, stick parts and all the necessary screws and bolts.

https://doublesteps.com/product-category/climbing-stick-parts/

Justin and Swamp Stalker like this.
  4. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Okay, thank you!

cantexian likes this.
  5. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I got curious after you asked, so I did some pricing. Using their cheapest parts, you could DIY a set of 24" sticks with top and bottom double steps at a price of $87.94 per stick. Each stick would be 32 oz in weight.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  6. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody done the double step mod on the lone wolf climbing sticks? I think the idea is great but curious as to how it would affect the packability

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

7. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    I just completed my first season using a saddle. This season, I was able to hunt more than I ever hunted before, averaging 3.5 hunts per week. By using the saddle and the modded viper platform I was able to go further/deeper than previously possible. I cut my weight down from 21 pounds (The stand itself) to 9 pounds (Weight of modded platform). While I didn't take full advantage of being able to go deeper every hunt, it did allow me to run and gun more effectively, i.e., scout till I found the sign I wanted to see without being overloaded with weight. In the past when I would run and gun, I had the extra weight wearing on me and draining my energy faster. I would tend to settle on a spot from being tired rather than keep going till I found what I wanted.

The saddle itself took a few sits to get it dialed in, but now it is like second nature. Trusting the gear was never an issue for me, I trusted it from the start. To me, the comfort was comparable to hunting out of a LW assault hang on. I lean 98% of the time and found that foot fatigue was the biggest issue. I would shift weight from one foot to the other every 10-15 minutes. Sitting was never comfortable for me even with knee pads. I finally figured out on the last day of the season to lower my tether height so my thighs were almost parallel with the platform would provide the most comfort. I still prefer to stand/lean so I'm at the ready for a shot.

All day sits in the saddle were a bit tough due to foot fatigue. All in all, I am more than happy with my decision to switch to a saddle. My hunting style is pure public land run and gun, rarely hunting the same tree twice. I am very satisfied with my climbing method and platform, and the Kestrel Flex is a perfect fit for me. The only change I see myself making is switching to a thinner but longer tether rope (30') to be able to rappel down from the tree in case of emergency. I don't see myself going back to treestands ever.

8. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's exactly how it was for me. The saddle isn't a perfect solution, but the weight and mobility makes it great. Nothing beats a climber for being comfortable, it's just packing that thing in. Definitely upgrade your ropes. I did that last year and by far the best upgrade I have done with the saddle. Get opulux or similar rope, the packable size of it is worth it alone. I did my tether and linesman belt. It's lighter, stronger, and half the size of my old ropes. Way to stick with it!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

9. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    @Swamp Stalker if you are going to make a 30' tether, you definitely want to use Sterling Oplux for the main line and the Sterling TRC 6mm for your knots. That is what I use. I tie a distel hitch instead of a prussic for my knot. The Distel Hitch bites just as well, but, is easier to unload to adjust the positioning. I run the same thing with my lineman's belt.

10. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wanted to get a saddle setup this season but the wedding came first lol but I’ve been doing a ton a research and ill pull the trigger probably in the spring and start practicing. Unless something changes I’ll probably go with the latitude method saddle and then OOAL scout platform that will attach to my LW stick. Going to do a couple small mods to the sticks themselves. Like getting rid of the buckle straps and possibly adding double steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swamp Stalker and cantexian like this.
  11. WildernessPhantom

WildernessPhantom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I put eastern woods outdoors double steps on the top of my lone wolf sticks and have spent a good amount of time in my JX3 this season. I’m thrilled with the purchase. It is everything I hoped with ease of use and the ability to hide behind the tree. One thing I wasn’t expecting is how safe I feel in it. There’s always that step to the stand and with this it’s just attach tether and hunt. Very quiet and more comfortable than my sit and climb. It’s definitely worth a look.

Oly44 likes this.
  12. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do you have pics of your stick setup now?

13. WildernessPhantom

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

Oly44 likes this.
  14. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you!

15. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love my JX3 Hybrid I was sitting in it this morning. However I do not like messing with sticks of any kind. I rotate between the hybrid and my Lone Wolf hand climber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dnoodles likes this.
  16. WildernessPhantom

Dislikes Received:
    You bet! Safe hunting.

17. WildernessPhantom

Dislikes Received:
    I’m assuming you use another climbing method. I’ve looked a little into them. I’d love to haul just the JX3 in but am still fit enough that I don’t mind the sticks. I am big on gray light entrance and almost stalking to my tree. I go slow so the sticks are pretty quiet. I’ll probably look more into other methods. Thanks and safe hunting.

18. parkersdad

Dislikes Received:
    Oh I’m in good shape, I just think sticks and all the extra equipment is a pain in the butt

19. WildernessPhantom

Dislikes Received:
    How do you get up? To be honest I don’t really enjoy sticks. I guess it’s just what I am used to. I’m all about learning new things that increase efficiency. Thanks.

20. parkersdad

Dislikes Received:
    I one stick climb a lot of the time. Sometimes I set three sticks it just depends on the situation.