Heated Vest

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Levi431, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Levi431

Levi431 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello everyone!
    I’m looking for input on heated vests. What do you use, what do you like, dislike and what do you recommend? I’m somewhat cold blooded I’d say and I lost a significant amount of weight over the last year and notice I’m cold more than I used to be. I used to get a darned chill while in the stand at times that I couldn’t get rid of And only imagine it getting worse now. So hoping a vest that I can just turn on for a little bit at a time will solve my problems. Let’s hear what you have to say! Thank you!

2. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use the Milwaukee stuff, I have 2 hoodies and the vest. The vest is warmer, but the material not totally silent. OK if used under some other fleece stuff. I like to wear a base layer or 2, then the hoodie, a fleece vest over it, and an outer jacket when it's really cold.
    I bring enough battery power to crank it full blast for hours, even all day if needed. But usually in the morning I'll put it on high, then gradually step it down if it warms up.
    It also helps to keep down the shakes when adrenaline kicks in for that kill shot.
    It's been a game changer for me, and can't imagine hunting without it now

Longdraw and Levi431 like this.
  3. Tink-a-Link

Tink-a-Link Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just picked up an Arris vest that I love so far. Only had it for about two weeks and only used it 3 times, but it makes staying warmer longer way easier. Keeping your core warm allows the blood to flow more readily to the extremities. It heats the chest, back and collar. Very nice even on the mid seeing for the cold days of which I've experienced a few this year already.
    Plus it helps keeps you from being the bulkiness of bigger/thicker jackets.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Levi431 likes this.
  4. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This has been a subject that has had a lot of discussion recently. I too lost a significant amount of weight about 5 years ago and went from being hot most of the time to freezing all of the time. To answer your question, I have a vest called a Cozihoma. It is a fleece material and it makes no noise. It was bought on Amazon. But there are literally hundreds of choices now with heated clothing. One piece of advice I would give you on the subject is don't buy a piece of clothing that includes the battery, unless the battery is more than 10,000 mAh. It's much better if you make the choice on a battery. That way you can decide what works best for your situation. And you can purchase a really good battery on Amazon for as little as $20. Just go on Amazon and search heated vests and literally hundreds of choices will come up. Most of them will have pics of what part of the body is heated. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

pick00l and Swamp Stalker like this.
  5. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I chuckled at this because as we speak I'm getting ready to go out. I charged my pack for my milwaukee jacket last night and was looking forward to wearing it today. Even though it's a jacket I wear things over it as (stated) it's a loud material. My brother said he is trying a heated base layer and it should be here soon. Once I get the review of it I'll post.

Levi431 likes this.
  6. Levi431

Levi431 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome thanks. Was really looking at the Arris as well.Any iweyed you’ve noticed with battery life yet in your 3 uses? Did you get the one with 4 panels in front or just the two?

7. Levi431

Levi431 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    One of my good buddies has a Milwaukee heated jacket and really likes it. Myself I’m looking for a vest to wear under my jacket and keep me less restricted. Good luck this morning. I’n heading to work

Fix likes this.
  8. Tink-a-Link

Dislikes Received:
    The one with 4 panels. No issues as of yet. worked swimmingly for about 5 hours on the purple setting (which is second from the top. If you consider this a complaint then, so-be-it, I don't. There is a need to activate the battery prior to turning the heating elements on; which, if you've got a longer hike to get into your stand location, you probably won't want the vest turned on. But then, of course, you need to unzip your jacket turn the battery on, turn the jacket on, and activate the heaters and then zip back up. Can be loud if your zipper is loud. The vest itself is something you could sleep in with how soft it is. Quite comfortable and they send multiple side panels that make it very adjustable for people of different sizes.

9. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

How do those run size wise?

10. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Mine fits really well. I'm 5'11 and 168 and I wear a sz large. No issues at all with the fit

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

11. Tink-a-Link

Dislikes Received:
    The Arris vest I'd the cliche one size did all, but there is a zipper up each side of the vest that allows you to adjust the size according to what you need. I believe it some with 8(total) panels, 4 for each side that do quite well in adjusting fit according to what you need. It might be a but big for a petite lass, but it should fit nearly all male frames.

12. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have two friends who have the Pnuma vests and they love theirs. They're nice because they're very thin and designed to be worn close to skin, over a base layer where it should be. Then your other layers will trap that warmth. Last year in on our midwest trip, in close to zero degree mornings, they took two batteries with them and turned the vest on and off throughout the day when they felt they needed a jolt of warmth. They could sit all day in that weather, where I had to bail at noon because I couldn't take it anymore.

13. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You likely bought the nylon type jacket or the soft shell jacket. Way too loud for hunting. The hoodie is the way to go

14. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Pnuma vest and also love it for the reasons you mentioned. I just wish they didn't have those lame proprietary batteries and charger. I love that my ScentLok heated vest uses a standard USB port. I wear that one under my outer layer, over my merino wool base, and it works great as well.

At this point if I had to pick only one, I would give the nod to the Pnuma. The Reactor vest is a close second though.

15. entropyfx

entropyfx Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love my milwaukee vest. Wear over my under armour base layer and a long sleeve shirt, then layer over it. Feels great, makes a huge difference. Pants are probably next.

16. SeanSproule

SeanSproule Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve been looking at them both. What do you like/dislike about them both?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Milwaukee vest. I wish the heating coils were on the lower back. I feel like I have to pull the vest tight on my body to feel the heat when I get chilled and turn it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

18. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Pnuma - Likes
    - Thin material doesn't add any bulk to my layering system
    - Heating element on lower back
    - Heats up incredibly quick. You feel heat in seconds after turning it on.

Pnuma - Dislikes
    - Pullover-style vest. It's more of a t-shirt with no sleeves than a vest.
    - It's pretty tight fitting so if you've got some extra weight, you aren't wearing this thing in public. I look like a sausage roll when I have it on. :lol:
    - Proprietary batteries so you have to buy them from Pnuma. And don't lose your charger! It's proprietary too.
    - Batteries are relatively small and last maybe one hunt (2-4 hours depending on temp setting). I bring 2 batteries with me.

ScentLok Reactor - Likes
    - Use any battery you want. I put a 20,000 mAh in mine and it will last seemingly forever. For comparison, the battery in the Pnuma is 2,500 mAh.
    - Insulated so it provides added warmth when needed. Works great for "cool" hunts where you have a thin layer underneath and the vest as your outer layer.
    - It's an actual zip-up vest. So it's easier to put on/take off in the field.

ScentLok Reactor - Dislikes
    - No heating element in lower back
    - Turns off every 45 minutes and you have to turn it back on

19. janesburg

janesburg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’d like to hear feedback from anyone with experience using Ororo padded heated vest. It seems to get favorable reviews. I’m 6’4” 250lbs and it offers an XXXL size while a lot of other companies don’t seem to offer that larger size.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

20. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I know a couple people who have them and like them. I don't know any specifics on what they like/dislike, but they have said good things.