*Official 2020 Scouting Thread

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by virginiashadow, Jan 4, 2020.

1. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Black lines are access routes. White stars are potential stand sites. I do not see how you will be able to hunt the lower bedding without blowing it out, especially if you want to hunt on the west side of the fields. I focus on staying downwind of the upper bedding for NNW winds. You might be able hunt both bedding areas if the wind is going to be constant and strong out of the W.

Attached Files:

2. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input! You basically have the same thoughts as me. It's almost impossible for me to get deep into the woods with the projected winds. And that's really bumming me out.

cantexian likes this.
  3. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Mn

dprsdhunter and MnHunterr like this.
  4. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well that was awesome!! Went into a spot both I and someone on this forum picked based on the map, got within 30 yards of the marker I put on the map and bumped a large bodied deer, didn’t get to see if it was a buck or not but it was big!! Lots of rubs and scrapes in the area as well, it’s thicker than hell in there so it’s gonna take some prep to be able to get in there silently

5. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like I will be getting out for my second sit of the season Saturday morning. I am debating going back into the river bottom spot that I hunted the first weekend of October and setting up on the west side of the bedding area. I saw doe and fawn on that side that morning. Most of the time, the does travel that side of the bedding. The problem is that spot has a NNE wind forecast for the morning. An easterly wind will work for that side, but a SSE wind would be better as the only way to access that spot is to come from the north. The deer will be coming back to bed from private land crops to the south. Normally, I set up with a westerly wind right on the edge of the river, thermals make this spot bullet proof in the morning with a W wind. I almost always see deer in this spot and it is my most confident spot on public land. The wind forecast isn't perfect, but I think it may work for the first couple of hours of daylight. I also feel like I may be becoming too dependent on this one particular spot.

The other option is to go to different piece of public about three miles away. I scouted this piece about a month ago and found a big community scrape at the bottom of a ridge. I haven't ever hunted this spot, with the wind forecast, I would be coming in from the south along a lake shore. I would be going in blind from this direction in the dark, something I am not a fan of doing. When I scouted it, I came in from the north with a south wind. I should also mention that on this piece, there was some kind of hunting bird dog trials all week from Monday - Friday. The particular spot that I would head into was not supposed to have dogs running through it, so it is possible that more deer moved into this area to get away from the dogs. All the sign that I found was old when I scouted it and I have not had a chance to get back in there recently. This piece of public also has another spot that I want to try, but it is in an area where the dog trials were going on and the best access is from the north on a southerly wind, which I will not have tomorrow.

Decisions, decisions.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  6. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    What are the temps looking like on Sat?

7. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    49 with 6mph NNE wind at shooting light. High gets up to 53 in the afternoon with wind slightly shifting to ENE. Unless the leave cover is completely gone, in both spots I will be in shadows from tree canopy the first couple hours before the sun is high enough to break through. If I understand shadow effect correctly, the thermals in the shade will be pulling my scent down to the ground if the wind is not strong enough blow it away.

8. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Those are good temps this time of the year. You might be in for good things. Good luck.

9. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    My scouting and past hunts paid off with a good hunt this morning. I saw six deer, all in bow range. Unfortunately, the only legal buck kept trees in front of him and never offered a shot. The lone doe left just before it was legal light. There were two scrapes that I watched multiple little bucks work, both within 30 yards of the tree I was in and a third that I found about 50 yards away on the walk out. Also found a set of big tracks in the dirt road walking out.

First time I ever had deer within bow range and never taken a shot, even if the shot was a miss. If the owner of the big track was around in daylight, he never came out where I could see him.

Attached Files:

10. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like an awesome day!

cantexian likes this.
  11. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    It was, absent a day where I have killed, I would say my second best day of bowhunting ever.

Swamp Stalker and virginiashadow like this.
  12. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm gonna be buying a mountain bike for next season. That is all....LOL

13. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    Looking for some assistance on where to set up. From what I can tell from the trail camera pictures is all the deer are bedding on our property and going into the neighbors green field. The while lines are main trails. The yellow line is a path the neighbor made with his backhoe this spring to dig out the creek/drainage. The lime green dot is where I got most of the pictures I posted yesterday. I think the deer are taking that trail the backhoe made as it is a perfect trail going from the swamp to the field, but all of my buck pictures are still at night or very early morning (5am)/after shooting hours.

My access is really not good, but I can make it work (go in on the blue line to the north). There is a thick wall of willow brush along that entire road.

My head is just all over the place. Any suggestions where you would set up a stand based on what you know?

upload_2020-11-4_8-15-38.png

14. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
  15. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    I set my stand on the solid pink dot yesterday haha.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Man that looks awesome

alenhard15 likes this.
  17. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I went for a still hunt this morning between 9 am - Noon. This is a spot I scouted back on opening day. Last time I scouted, I am in from the north. This time I came in from the south and still hunted to the back side of a ridge that I suspected was buck bedding. I confirmed that suspicion today. It took me three hours to cover 0.6 miles. I found another deer trail leading to the back side of the ridge, two distinct rublines, and a total of over 15 rubs. No active scrapes in the area.I have no doubt that I stalked into the bedroom. The wind was perfect and their was a light rain off and on all morning. Nobody was home, but it was fun. I kept thinking it was just a matter of time before I spotted one bedded. Secondary rut is kicking off and bucks are still making sign.

Attached Files:

Cannon06 and virginiashadow like this.
  18. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    That sounds like a fun hunt. A buck or two may have been home.....just slinked off when you got close.

cantexian likes this.
  19. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Quite possible. The wind and rain were not as strong as forecasted. I would have had better cover for my noise if they had been. The weather picked up as I was driving home, but family plans kept me from staying out later or I would have kept going. It is definitely something I want to try again. I grew up still hunting for black tail in BC. But, that was with a rifle. I didn't start bowhunting until college. I am going to try it again in the future on a windy day when I don't feel like getting in a tree.

virginiashadow likes this.
  20. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Snowed on Sunday night, so Monday morning I scouted and followed tracks after my sit. (We don't get much snow) Found a large doe bedding area and about 50 yards away these 2 buck beds were fresh from the night prior. I'm wondering if they used this area simply because it had good weather cover, or if it is a well used area during season. 20201214_094145.jpg 20201214_094151.jpg

cantexian and virginiashadow like this.