FirstLite Specter

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by jonderrs7, Nov 3, 2020.

1. jonderrs7

jonderrs7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I guess FL decided it was necessary to come out with a new camo pattern instead of coming out with a system made with a windstopping layer of some kind - hopefully this spring!

Anyone check out the new pattern? doesnt look like anythine special.

Shocker99 likes this.
  2. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I thought it was going to be a whitetail specific system as well with some wind stopper of some sort. Disappointed. Pattern looks like they merged fusion with Cypher. Meh.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Shocker99 and jonderrs7 like this.
  3. jonderrs7

Dislikes Received:
    right?? I will keep my fusion and wait for a true tree stand system from them.

4. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I had bought into their earlier realtree stuff, which they kicked to the curb. Seems like they at a new pattern every 2-3 years.

I'm not going to be surprised if they drop a pattern to keep the number of skus in inventory down...

jonderrs7 likes this.
  5. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will say this for the Cypher pattern. I have been freaky close to both deer and coyotes on the ground and not noticed at all. Close like 3 feet from a doe and 6 feet from 2 separate coyotes. I just stood still. I could've touched that doe. Only a 3 ft tall cedar between us when she stopped.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

So.Ill.Deer.Hunter and Shocker99 like this.
  6. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I own a few FL things, and will start buying solid earth colors due to them changing the patterns so often and not producing the older patterns. I saw the Specter stuff, not much different.

7. Jeremy/PA

Jeremy/PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I fully bought into Fusion and have purchased some things yearly to build my kit. I am really hoping Fusion isn't going anywhere, but I am hoping that with how close it is with the new pattern, there will be some cohesiveness if it does.

8. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    From the Lethal Podcast facebook page

[​IMG]

9. jonderrs7

Dislikes Received:
    Most of my pieces are fusion, too, and hope they dont get rid of it. i do like the pattern, even though the animals dont care. I guess time will tell.

Jeremy/PA likes this.
  10. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yea it was cool and all but nothing to write home about. I just got some obsidian pants and while comfy and quiet, they definitely are lighter weight than I thought and NO wind barrier. I actually got on here to ask about that. Wanted to buy the solitude set as I think the sanctuary would be to warm for southwest IL. But I’m hearing NO wind barrier either. That sucks on mid and late season whitetail stand hunting wear. Making me lean towards considering pneuma or Sitka instead. Any input?

jonderrs7 likes this.
  11. jonderrs7

Dislikes Received:
    I have the solitude set and it is very nice. It has the pass-thru on the jacket for harness, and has pockets that pass-thru to the muff on the bibs. bibs have zippers that go all they way up the leg which allowed me to put on at the stand without taking off my boots. I was able to hunt in low 20's with 10-15 mph winds with the right layering but you could definitely feel the wind. Hoping they come out with a wind stopping system next year. I have never worn the sanctuary but i believe it is warmer and still no wind stopping layer. I would have gone with sitka and while the deer dont care for the pattern, i dont care for the digital stuff.

Shocker99 likes this.
  12. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input. Why wouldn’t they incorporate a wind stop. I may email them and let them know that was their Achilles heel pertaining to my decision to buy something else.

jonderrs7 likes this.
  13. jonderrs7

Dislikes Received:
    I have emailed them a few times this past year about it and they said something was in the works. So, when I got the email from FL about an announcement yesterday, I thought thats what it was. Huge let down.

Shocker99 likes this.
  14. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    I may try pnuma or Sitka for some warmer stuff then give fl another try if they come out with something down the road. Disappointed though. Not sure why I was more excited to buy them over anyone else but I was

jonderrs7 likes this.
  15. jonderrs7

Dislikes Received:
    I am the same way. I should have gone with sitka or something similar with a windstopping layer but wanted to make FL work. It does work for me, but i am excited for a wind stopper from them.

16. jonderrs7

Dislikes Received:
    I was just looking at Pnuma and looks like they use the same science when it comes to patterns as FL (micro/macro patterns) and they have wind stopping properties up to 50 MPH...something to think about for sure.

17. Limbhanger

Limbhanger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I realize this is an older post, but First Lite does now incorporate a type of wind stopping material in their new Sanctuary jacket and bib.

I just purchased a set, which does come in the new Specter pattern, where I honestly liked the older Fusion pattern better, but the only option with the Sanctuary with the wind stopping material was the new Specter. The older Fusion to me had better contrast between shades to create more of a broken pattern as compared to the Specter.

Here is my actual review
    QUALITY GEAR, BUT COULD USE SOME " BOWHUNTERS CUT" IMPROVEMENTS
    Bought the sanctuary set strictly for bowhunting in colder weather conditions. Going by their sizing charts i fell in the Large which fit perfect with a t shirt and shorts on. But knowing I would need to layer more I returned it for an XL, which fits a little big as is, but has room for layering and fits well with layers. So my review is listed as a bit large for the XL considering very minimal layering.

As for the clothing is top quality, love the kit link system, and the whole Sanctuary set will be put to the test this fall to see how warm it actually is, as I'm cold natured as my main reason for buying, along with the claim of a bowhunters cut.

As for the bowhunters cut there is ample room to draw a bow in the arm and chest area, but question the bowhunters cut with the oversized collar that sticks out and the heavy non detachable hood. That's my main complaint with this jacket, as I personally can not see a bowhunter leaving this hood on for a shot, as I would have liked to seen this hood detachable like the Solitude. As strictly a bowhunter, the collar and hood are not considered a bowhunters cut. As for bowhunting a balaclava and furnace beanie is enough, without the worries of a hood interfering with your anchor. As with the balaclava can be pulled down which fits tight around the neck area and will not interfere with your anchor, like the big collar will, my other bowhunters cut complaint. Can't tell you how many complaints I've read with these big collars and even claims of misses due to bowstring contacting it. As a Bowhunter it would be nice to see these collars redesigned to not stick out or up so high, and have the hood removable.

Really not sold on the new Specter either, as I would have opted for the older Fusion camo which I like better as it has more contrast between colors to break your outline, but the new sanctuary with wind proofing only come in Specter. I know a lot of research went into the Specter and and what a deer actually sees, but to me it does not have the contrast between shades like the Fusion camo, which seems more likely to have the blob effect without the contrasting difference between the shades.

jonderrs7 likes this.