Stolen Items

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Nick Lewandowski, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Nick Lewandowski

Nick Lewandowski Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just wondering if anyone has ever had anything stolen out of their truck while hunting public land.

I made the STUPID bone head mistake of not taking all my tools out of my truck and sure enough they were stolen. As well as having a tire slashed. Police were notified shortly after I noticed. Not looking for pity or anything. Just want to know if anyone has ever dealt with it also.

2. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nah never. What state? Was your vehicle locked? I recently bought a lockable gas cap for this just so people don’t tamper, i park in some questionable spots too. Knock on wood my luck continues. I’m sorry to hear that, there’s ****heads everywhere.

early in likes this.
  3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sucks for sure, sorry for your loss. Really sucks that the thieves took your stuff then cut a tire just to be a pain in the ass.

4. Nick Lewandowski

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah the guy took my lively hood. Luckily I have some good buddy's that leant me tools till I can go get some more.
    Happened in SC. Luckily I had my cab locked on my truck. But the Biggest bone head move was I had removable totes in the bed that I should have taken out before heading out after I got off work. I just got lazy and thought nothing will happen. Never had any trouble before, but I'll never do that again. At least 1500 in tools gone now. Worst part was that trying to switch to the spare in sand is never a good idea. Barely got the truck high enough to switch.

early in likes this.
  5. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yep. Left a plastic bin full of my hunting clothes and my long time lucky hat in the back of my truck one day. All gone.

6. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Certain areas are worse than others, local meth heads and scumbags that live in the middle of nowhere looking for an easy score. I've had a trail camera taken, but nothing from the truck.

7. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I thought about it many times to hang a trail cam high and looking at my truck. Probably overkill and talked myself outa it but has been in my head over the years, luckily nothing happened. I take my sidearm with me along with my wallet. More times then not I park on dead end gravel roads in the middle of Ohio public lands.

8. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Could deal with stolen stuff but the slashed tire is a special place in hell.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  9. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's messed up.

10. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Locks are for honest people. Sorry to hear of your loss and the tire. 1. My son and I went fishing on a stream on the TN/GA line. A fellow in the parking lot had all his plug wires cut. This was miles away from an auto store. 2. Was in a motel, packing up. The pickup next to me had the sliding window broken and all his tools were stolen; guy was a carpenter. 3. A friend was fishing a tailwater in East Tennessee and someone stole a spool of coaxial cable off his truck. 4. For some unknown reason, by father went fishing at a park in suburban Chicago and took ALL his fishing tackle. Left it in the back of his station wagon. Next morning it was gone. It was valued at $700 but some of his lures were almost antiques.
    My father said that some people would steal Christ off the cross and go back after dark for the nails.

early in likes this.
  11. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I always worry about that when I hunt in Illinois, luckily I have locking tailgates and bed cover, but it still doesn't keep people from messing with your stuff...having an out of state really rubs people the wrong way for some reason. Apparently Illinois is running low on deer.
    I've said it before, I've met some of the shadiest, low life people while hunting.

12. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's not that we're running out of deer its more so alot of ppl that come here to hunt act like ****** bags. And more often than not they're probably the ones messing with your stuff.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

13. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    About 4 years ago I had somebody try to get into my Silverado at a parking area while I was in the woods. They punched in the lock cylinder thinking that would open my locked truck. They quickly learned that doesn't work with electronic locks. It still cost me $400 to get it fixed. Yep, there's scumbags everywhere!

14. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I can see that, no one has messed with my stuff I know yet, but I’ve caught some attitudes talking to people that see my TN plate.

15. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I despise thieves. I can't put enough emphasis on DESPISE.
    I've been pretty lucky. The only thing I've ever had stolen while hunting was a couple of years ago. It was January or so and I went up to the property to do some coyote calling/hunting. There was about 8" of snow. When getting out of the pickup and getting ready I got the bright idea to take my unopened Mt. Dew and put it in the snow near the pickup so it would be cold when I got back.
    When I came back it was gone. Footprints showed that they also checked to see if any doors were unlocked on both sides, but luckily I had locked them. Not a real big deal but still pi**ed me off. Can't even get away from those worthless low-life's in the mountains.

Nick Lewandowski likes this.
  16. Nick Lewandowski

Dislikes Received:
    Unfortunately there's always going to be those types of people. I personally don't associate with people if they are a thief. There is definitely more to what happened that night, I'm pretty sure I know who it was after talking to another hunter that was also out there that night. Gave the police all the info that he gave me. But due to the circumstances currently I don't want to put it out there and get myself in trouble.
    I do know that if this person is caught that I will be pressing charges if at all possible. Not real sure if I can, as I've never had this happen before.
    Really just want my tools back more than anything, I'm not too comfortable using other guys tools. But quite thankful they lent them to me so I can at least work.

17. Nick Lewandowski

Dislikes Received:
    I definitely will be buying a locking tonneau cover here in the near future. Just have to get everything figured out with all the expenses that I now currently have.

18. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For many years now I've been going to Nodakk coyote hunting.
    Never have locked the truck unless at the motel.

Hope you get your stuff back. Check local pawn shops.

19. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Leer cover on my truck but it's glass and, IMHO, wouldn't deter anyone from breaking into the back. I always lock my car and truck. Read a long time ago that some insurance companies won't honor a claim if they find the vehicle wasn't locked. We had several auto burglaries in out neighborhood a few months ago. Personal items plus a couple of guns were taken. Neighbor wondered why his truck interior light was on. He never locks it and the door was wide open. Recently, low-lifes threw a big rock at the truck, broke the light for the license plate and put a big dent in the tailgate. Meshuggah!

20. Nick Lewandowski

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not to sure yet what brand I'll get yet. But definitely going to research it all as much as possible.
    Yeah and unfortunately I can't claim them on insurance. But I think I have my finances figured to where it shouldn't be too much of a burden.
    Sorry to hear about your neighborhood. It truly sucks when low life's come around to do evil.