A Myth about Crossbows

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by AshAid, Dec 3, 2017.

1. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve seen over the years some very cruel and out right horrible things said about people using Crossbows, weather on FB hunting groups or on message boards etc....

Won’t get into all of them but the 1 thing I always heard more then anything else is how the Crossbow gives you a advantage for distance unlike that of the Vertical Bow and it’s pretty much a Gun and bluh bluh bluh...and should have its own season and many many more . Again stop giving opinions on something you haven’t attempted yourself.

Well, to yesterday which here in Pa is gun season at this time, I always go out with the Bow and up till last season it was always the Vertical (as till last season didn’t own a Crossbow) so my 11yr son and I are in the Ground Blind and we no less then seen 25 deer throughout the day and at 1 point we seen 11 does together in a bachelorette group and they were 56yds (he ranged them for me) dead in front of us and boy did I want to shoot but with the brush and all in front anymore then a 35yd shot was not a guarantee and I didn’t want to chance it, specially with him with me.

Well, I learned yesterday (but have known since purchasing this Crossbow) that while the Crossbow may give you a advantage in distances a bit better then a Vertical it still isn’t a gun (still have to have shooting lanes and know your range) and as I’ve always known people just like to put down things they know nothing about and love to pile on with the masses with opinions to fall in line with the majority.

To close when my Wife and I purchased this Crossbow for my Son last yr I never would have expected the love affair I too have for this thing... so much so that I have used it in Ground-Blinds through out the lease by myself while he was in school and have found myself drawn to sitting in the Blind more so then in the stands we have on the lease. This off season I will be purchasing me 1 to add to my aresenal for next season instead of burrowing his...and knowing me will probably be using it more then my Compound. Also, I’m fully capable of using my Vertical bow and thankfully at this point don’t have any limitations with body issues just have the desire to add something that is fully legal in most if not all States to Hunt with.

oldnotdead, Junior and Westfinger like this.
  2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I used to to be anti crossbow but heck I don't really care. However even as advertised on this site a crossbow with 1" groups at 100 yards or something like that is not helping the cause for acceptance. Don't get me wrong crossbows allow people who could not hunt with a bow a chance to get out and hunt and that is what is really all about.

3. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I too used to be an "anti" but after my brother-in-law had to get one because of shoulder surgery, and I shot it, I realized there are very few advantages and many disadvantages. I just got my first crossbow yesterday. I had to do it because of age and declining strength. The ONLY advantage I might have is an increased shooting range but I will still be limited to about 40-45yds with it. And I know many who can do that distance with a compound, I just can't. I'm ready to learn about it and start hunting with it later this season. Hunt on!

Blessings...........Pastorjim

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Westfinger and 78littlered like this.
  4. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've owned two that I bought for my parents. I've played around with both crossbows and personally didn't care for them to use myself. I far prefer my vertical bow. I don't really care what a person uses as long as they're law abiding and fair about it. If someone keeps wounding deer after deer and not recovering them then they need to do something else but if they are proficient then use what they can. Long "possible" range doesn't mean a person can be reckless and take shots out beyond their skill level. That goes for any weapon.

Steveordale and Westfinger like this.
  5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    True but advertising claims don't help perception.

Steveordale and Westfinger like this.
  6. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have two crossbows and hope to shoot a doe with one in the next few weeks. I think it is unfortunate that many people get worked up about them. There are plenty of guys on both sides of the issue who don't do their chosen weapon any justice by wounding and losing deer etc etc.

I could care less about the petty he man crap. I have taken countless deer over the years with my vertical bow, including this years pronghorn and whitetail buck. I'm going to shoot a doe with a crossbow because I enjoy shooting it and hunting with it. If somebody doesn't like it I could care less. I hunt for me and me alone.

Steveordale likes this.
  7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Like I said I have nothing against crossbows. There is a perceived advantage that bow hunters enjoy in that they get to hunt the deer with less pressure before and during the rut before gun season starts. The advantage has been reluctantly given to bow hunters because of the limits of equipment that bowhunters have vs gun hunters. Some feel that bowhunters have earned this thru the limitations with equipment and the crossbow takes advantage of features that are well beyond the limitations of a vertical bow.

Vabowman likes this.
  8. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Back in the late 70's I bought a 2nd hand Barnett crossbow just to play with. Could only use it in gun season back then. But I was on a quest to take a deer with different meathods. Since that time I have taken a deer with rifle, shotgun, pistol, muzzle loader rifle & pistol as well as recurve, compound, and crossbow. Just have longbow and spear left on bucket list.
    But to think just because you have a crossbow "brown is down " is a myth that really helps sales. Arkansas was one of the first States to allow xbows in bow season and the total harvest did not jump through the roof. As a matter of fact deer total population is higher today than back then. Most likely less deer were wounded and more hunters were happy.

9. VaDeerHunter

VaDeerHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in the market for my 3rd crossbow and this one will be a Raven. I've had 2 Ten Points in the past. And even with the advertising of dead on at 100 yards my range is 50 and under. I've had a few of my friends give me a hard time about them, saying it's not true archery, shoots like a gun etc. Whatever, I like them and I can't shoot a vertical bow anymore because of my rotator cuff. Plus I think it's a great way to get more people hunting that can't use or are intimidated with a vertical bow.

Steveordale likes this.
  10. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I shot the Raven in my search for my first crossbow and I was really hoping I would like it but I didn't. I was pretty sure I wanted a reverse draw and the reverse draws seem to be much smoother. In a way I'm glad I didn't like it as well. Those things are some serious coin. They got some great features though.

Blessings..........Pastorjim

11. VaDeerHunter

VaDeerHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My initial plan was to get another Ten Point the Carbon Nitro RDX. I'm hoping to shoot both on Thursday then I will decide. Thanks

12. nickster

nickster Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have both and enjoy shooting both.
    when I go to Illinois each year I take both and choose depending on what type of stand cover I have and how far my shoot are . enjoy it ,I do

AshAid likes this.
  13. Alex Stephens

Alex Stephens Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Same story for my grandpa he didn’t like them but then his brother had surgery and it pretty much saved his hunting experience

14. SRS90

SRS90 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I will attest the old myths of they have an advantage. I can far outshoot my crossbow with my compound and be much more accurate at further distances. And my Excalibur is deadly accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

15. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    personally, it is a matter of ease....I have said this all along.. traditional archery hunting is by far the toughest and challenging of all. I have done it. It takes practice year around and still, you are not guaranteed a thing, even at short distances of 10-15 yards. compounds today are still challenging not so much the distance, but you still have to draw in the heat of the moment and shoot, most anyone who practices a month before the season will kill deer out to 20-25 yds no problem. Xbow, well sight it in, 40-60 yds and you can walk away. Not a lot of need for practicing. get up the tree or blind and cock that sucker back and sit and wait. just like a gun, rest steady and shoot. It doesn't take the amount of practice nor the issue of drawing down on a live animal...that's the advantage to me..and as I have said before, I will hunt with a vertical bow as long as I can pull back at least 40 lbs so hopefully for as long as I live. Bow xbow hunting in my opinion is not bow bowhunting. but I have no real issue with it. I don't like ML hunting, but I love to hunt with buckshot and hounds ...others may find that repulsive... I don't care. it is a southern tradition and it is beautiful to hear hounds run... so I do what I like, if xbow is your thing go for it!

16. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm neutral on crossbows. I might have to get one in the future. However, look at the additional licenses, etc., that people buy.

17. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have no opinion

18. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I enjoy shooting both. I do hunt with both.

19. Ship of Fools

Ship of Fools Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love both. I'm in NY and we have bow only from 10/1 until 2 weeks before gun opener which is usually around 11/20. So for the last two weeks of bow we can use the crossbow which just happens to be the peak of the rut. I'm getting old (57) and my eyes aren't the greatest anymore so I stick to 20+- yards with the bow but am fine with the crossbow out to 40 or so. With all of the advances with compound bows there isn't that much of an advantage and anyone who is such a purist should be shooting a long bow not a compound!

20. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am not a purist. I have hunted with both a compound and recurve. recurve is 100% more difficult. I never shot a xbow. the advantage it gives would be better accuracy at further distance and the biggest, not having to draw on the animal. I know many people that do use the xbow and that is what they tell me.