***Official LIVE from the Stand Thread, 2020***

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MnHunterr, Aug 18, 2020.

1. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, hard telling and we'll probably never know.

My guess is there is probably going to be a coordinated hunt for him though, whether through compassionate hunters or the DNR and snipers.

I think the most impressive outcome would be seeing him next year, but I cannot fathom how that would be likely, coyotes or other predators will be quick on him with that injury and infection is certain to get him if not.

early in and tdk5525 like this.
  2. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think it is legit from what I see, as you said, his shoulder blade was the convincer for me.

This day and age anything is possible but that would be some of the best CGI overlay I have ever seen on what definitely appears to be legit trail cam video footage.

tdk5525 and entropyfx like this.
  3. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm out and home , saw nothing

arrowflinger1 likes this.
  4. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Had no signal. Had a button buck came by and my buddy saw 3 deer and 4 turkey. He shot a doe but pushed her too fast and she made it 400 yds and blood went sparse. Will help him look tomorrow. First bowhunt for him in 10 yrs.

5. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just the one buck for me. I definitely heard another deer earlier and had another deer walk out the swamp right at dark. Just to far and thick to see it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

6. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  7. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Happy- we found your buck!

seriously though, that's so gruesome yet admirable. He's literally flayed open and walking around like nothing's wrong.

8. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I had to put down a yearling that looked similar. I was so upset because it had been my companion all during early bow. Would come in and bed under my stand until mom and gang would come pic him up late afternoon. Well during gun he popped up out of bed with a soccer ball sized hole through his midsection just under his spine. I was absolutely horrified. So upset my first shot missed,but second put him down. You could literally see ALL his organs. To this day I'm baffled how he had survived the shot gun blast he took. the edges were all dried and starting to show infection. He had maggots eating him alive. Tough ,tough animals.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Shocker99, FEB and tdk5525 like this.
  9. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    that looks real as heck and I would bet money it was a broadhead. I can't think of anything else that would slice that cleanly for that many inches without any indicia of blunt force trauma.

10. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yet, if you look at it, you can see the top is cleanly sliced, but then just above his shoulder area and a bit back from there it looks torn up, then you can see the back of the backstrap.

I almost think bedded in the corn and hit by combine seems most likely, or maybe even hit crossing the road by farm equipment driving down the road to/from fields.

tdk5525 and oldnotdead like this.
  11. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    that's almost a certainty; the edges haven't really begun to harden and rind up like when you hang one overnight.

tdk5525 likes this.
  12. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Where are the ribs?..farm or perhaps a semi trailer

13. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Just does and fawns for me tonight. Ended up getting winded twice. Not sure what to do. The sign is there and it’s right next to a corn field that is in the process of being harvested/hasn’t been worked under.

Thinking of just pulling it since I got winded twice. Really no other options to move it around for a correct wind in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Unbelievable, still raining and foggy. Ground is like walking on a soaked sponge. Cams have had zero movement of anything.

vermontwhitetail likes this.
  15. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This morning was crazy. Got in so quiet as it was misting and breezy. Overcast...slipped and at Sun up a doe came by and fed within 20 yds of me for 30min. My kill response had to be muted. Lol. Then I see another mature come by at 50 on a quick walk. Shortly thereafter I see a 3 pter then I see a flash of white in the woods moving quick. The entire back right side of this 4 pt buck was white...and his legs. So cool. 10 min later I see a rack at 50 and closing and I said shooter. Mature buck..8pter. 30 and closing upwind. Its gonna happen! Then this darn doe flushes from parts unknown and he comes tearing by me with head down and the horny run. Crap. Then more does come by me over the next 40 mins. Last but not least I hear a snort and look up and see a stud in the middle of the bedding area. My wind was hitting in about 5% of the bedding area bc it has turned west just a tad. He walked off. Then another small buck came and fed on acorns so close I could hear him eating.

16. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I set up in a new spot today, I like it although I’d like to have more cover. Left my sticks in the tree so I can get in a little quieter tomorrow, hopefully the big bucks are moving.

17. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wish!! Honestly that’s about the correct frame size butter one I lost only 8 points. They are definitely some tough SOBS. I know I would just roll over and die after being hit anywhere with a broad head.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

18. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Weather in pa is looking real good for Friday evening into Saturday. Coldest temps yet I believe. One good thing that came from trailing my deer was some fresh scrapes that I came across during the track. I’m going to make a new set on Sunday at tip of small field that will look over all 3 big scrapes I saw. It’s gonna be my all day spot for November. Gotta get closer!! Headed out Wednesday to sit a spot where I can see a majority of the hill to look for deer cruising towards said scrape line. I need some redemption!!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

19. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Clint, from what I know of combines it's almost impossible to have had this happen.
    If it was a freak accident and ran in front of the combine, maybe.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

tdk5525 and cls74 like this.
  20. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, that was just one option I had heard was discussed. They obviously can and do get hit by combines which is strange in itself.

Could have been somewhere where big cats are common as well, not sure how often they go after the adult deer though.

Would love to know where the video came from, that would help eliminate or add some possibilities.

early in and foodplot19 like this.