Rage hyprodermic vs muzzy fix blade

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Branden, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Branden

Branden Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, I bought these rage broadheads on sale never used them. Always used muzzy. Is it worth the switch? I have read people have trouble with them deploying. Any input would be nice. Thanks

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What does your arrow weigh? A lot of people blame the head for their errors.

3. Branden

Branden Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Using scheels vendetta 400 spline gpi is 8.2. using 100 Gran tips

4. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you are wanting to shoot a mechanical then Rage is a good choice. I believe there are better fixed heads than Muzzy's. There are lots of broadhead threads on this forum if you just search a little. Tons of good info. Youtube page called Lusk Archery does a lot of broadhead tests and comparisons. I shot Rage Hypodermic for a while, but was having problems with pass through. If I clipped a shoulder then I wouldn't get a full pass through. Mechanicals work great if you hit mostly tissue or ribs. I now use Magnus Ser Razors. Magnus makes very solid cut on contact heads, which are sharp and accurate out of the box. Again, lots of choices out there but I think you can do better than Muzzy for a similar price.

5. Branden

Branden Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds good. I have never used mechanical and I have read few trends ( not on here) saying deployment was the issue. Seen a guy on YouTube saying is because they don't set the calor correctly. If I was to stay with fixed blade any recommendations?

6. zeke645

zeke645 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have yet to shoot a deer with them, but magnus black hornets or stingers are super durable, sharp, and fly amazingly. The way I see it, if I can bend the blade with my hand and not get cut, then it’s a no go. That puts the swhackers and rages out of the bag. If you want maximum penetration, use a fixed blade. If you want more, use cut on contact.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

7. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Like I said, I use Magnus Ser Razors and really like them. My hunting partner uses QAD Exodus, and I've heard of people highly recommending Slick Tricks.

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Muzzy makes a mechanical that does not use a blade retention system, and they work well.

9. MONGO

MONGO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like slick tricks... 40 bucks for 4 isn't too bad of a price.

10. Branden

Branden Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Slick tricks and magnus. I'll have to look into those. Thanks for the info guys.

MONGO likes this.
  11. MONGO

MONGO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    could always go with some razorback 5's :evilgrin:

12. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have killed a lot of deer with both. Switched to Rage in 2010, killed over 40 deer with them, never had a problem at all.

13. swohbowhunter

swohbowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    There’s a lot of people that hate rage. They are good for what they are. I’m a magnus broad head shooter myself. After shooting both muzzy and rage I left the mechanical world. And after muzzy’s didn’t fly as well as other heads I made the move. I’ve harvested deer with all three though

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

14. jonderrs7

jonderrs7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you want to shoot Magnus Stingers, you better order soon. They arent shipping out for WEEKS due to COVID, and its tough to find them in stores. All other places online are selling out.

15. LIVIT

LIVIT Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Having worked in Pro-shops for years, this is a question that comes up often. First mistake many make with Rage BH's is for one, they're using the wrong retaining collar on the BH. Red is for higher speed/poundage setups, black for the rest. Second mistake, low poundage, light arrows etc. you really should be using a cut on contact fixed blade. I have used rage BH's since they came out. Never had any problems using them on my xbows or compounds. I have used muzzy on my traditional bow for a long time, again no problems.

Sota likes this.
  16. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just can't tear myself away from standard Muzzy's. We have to use fixed here, and they are much less expensive than a lot of the newer offerings. I've never lost an elk due to BH failure, with Muzzy or Thunderheads. I've recovered arrows with chipped or bent blades, but that likely happened after it had passed through them. I shot one elk about 14 years ago in the front shoulder (scapula) with a 125 Muzzy, it made it through the bone and penetrated about 9". I never recovered the BH, but apparently the blades remained intact enough to cut up the near side lung pretty good. There was blood in its hoof print within the first 75 yards. We gave it all night and found it the next morning, it had bedded and expired in its bed.

To answer your question. You didn't say what the length of your arrows are, but a 400 spine means they are fairly short if you're pulling decent poundage, so at 8.2 gpi I'd say they're lighter than you want for a mechanical. There are others on here with much more mechanical experience than me...aka I have zero other than what I've read...but I think they're going to recommend at least a 450 grain or higher arrow for a mechanical.

17. bogob

bogob Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I ordered two packages of rage 2 blade yrs ago, shot 3 arrows at an 8 point, all three arrows shot low.
    Practice heads were shooting right on. Could have been the collars on wrong not sure. Most hunters really like them. I changed to Exodus 3 blade last week of season last year. Sharpest blades right out of box I've ever seen. And TOUGH!

18. Skunkworkx

Skunkworkx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Chinese Rage Hypo entrance....

Attached Files:

19. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have you weighed the head to see if it was proper weight? I've seen videos of the china knock offs being 10g or more off.

20. beavertronic

beavertronic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have used the rage 2-blade chisel tip and have not had a problem. Bow set at 63# and shooting a 8.9gpi gold tip. Blades have never failed to deploy. I was shooting Muzzys for a while and missed a few deer with those. Could have been me but I swear there was planing happening. If you do make the switch get a rage practice head and tune the bow to match.