Have you ever seen this?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bry2211, Oct 19, 2020.

1. bry2211

bry2211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was going through trail camera pic this weekend and came across a doe fawn that really stood out to me. I posted pics on facebook and did some google searches to try to get more info on what the condition of this doe was but all I could find was that it could be "ocular albinism". From what I have read, it is caused by a bad X chromosome. It is very rare in does as they have two X chromosomes and if one is bad the other will take over to keep from getting the mutation of the color of the eye. Other than that, I know nothing about this condition. I was wondering if anyone has more information on this and if would be a deer to cull or get into contact with someone so they could do research on her. Or just leave her be like any other doe.

Any info or knowledge would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Looks healthy and appears to be still traveling within a group, couldn't see any reason to cull her for the sake of removal from the herd.

Never seen it, but doesn't seem to be particularly uncommon. Maybe share the images with your local DNR or biologist and see what they say? My guess is they'd deem it a cool documentation and not a concern for the herd.

3. bry2211

bry2211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My main concern was that I assumed that this may lead to vision problems with the heard. And if a doe has this condition does that mean that she has both X chromosomes with the defect and will she pass that on to every fawn she has?

When you said it doesnt seem to be particularly uncommon, did you find info about it online? I wasnt having much luck with that.

I did get a call into our local warden but we played phone tag this weekend. I'm still going to try to get in touch with him.

4. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I just googled whitetail deer with blue eyes, didn't read up a whole lot on it though. Maybe uncommon wasn't the right word to use, probably should have used concerning instead.

Be interested what the DNR does say if you get ahold of them.

5. bry2211

bry2211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Once I hear back from him, I will be sure to post it here. Thanks for the response!

6. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Here was another image I seen, just snipped it from pinterest that showed up in google search. Doesn't seem to have hurt him much genetically and looks pretty healthy

upload_2020-10-19_12-50-55.png

bry2211 likes this.
  7. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    unless you have an incredibly inbred herd (as in 4 deer in a pen left to procreate with their kin for several generations,) this and any other recessive trait is literally nothing to worry about.

Just enjoy the unique trail camera pics.

8. bry2211

bry2211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We have a pretty good size herd in my area, so that shouldn't be a problem.

It is a pretty neat pic. Something I have never seen before.

That's funny that you say just enjoy the pic. That's what I should be doing all along instead of thinking that nature screwed up and its up to me to fix it.

dnoodles and dstouffer like this.