Common Sense and lack of consideration.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Fernando Torres, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Fernando Torres

Fernando Torres Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have been hunting public land for a good portion of 25 years with my son... We have always respected the land and anyone hunting the lands. Last month we were setting up our tree stands and scouted the area we were planning to hunt. We did encounter a couple of stands that were already in place. So we just moved elsewhere away from the stands a good 200-300 yards away. We found two areas for our stands with NO other stands in site. We head out on opening day of the NY bow season. After sitting for the morning we decided to meet up. After I got down from my stand, I look back and low and behold not even 3o yards right behind me, some one decided to put up stand. Clearly I was frustrated and teed off. There was no way who ever put up that stand could not see my stand. Being the better person, we went through the task of taking down the steps and stand and moving away 150 yards.

Just wondering why on the world someone would do this, I know it's public land but have some consideration. Be well and good luck to all. BTW, this is my first post, sorry to start off on a negative note.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That is the problem with public land....the public.

3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    People in NY are crazy.

oldnotdead likes this.
  4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Where are you located

5. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    yeh, fortunately, I don't fool with public land here. I save all year to pay 1500$ to hunt private land. and a lot of it. I am in a hunt club here. and VA if you want to hunt private land, in this part of the state, you either join a club or you know someone with private land and get permission.

6. Fernando Torres

Fernando Torres Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting Westchester County, NY.

7. Fernando Torres

Fernando Torres Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking of a land lease., maybe next year that will be the way to go.

Vabowman likes this.
  8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Most places here in IL you have to take your stands down every day. Even though some jerks leave them up all season. Honestly, I'm going to start taking those down and leaving them at the bottom of the tree when I find them. That pisses me off.

Personally speaking, I don't think those people did anything wrong. You can't possibly hunt your stand every day, and it's not your area to stake a claim to. After all, it's public land. So if they want to hunt there when you're not there, go for it. So long as they aren't sitting 30 yards away while you're there at the same time, you just have to deal with it.

The whole idea of laying claim to a spot on public land because your stand is there first annoys me.

9. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    its an unfortunate part of public land, Justin had episodes last year where guys just walked in late and went right by him, sucks but what can you do?

You're not wrong that it was improper etiquette, but the problem with etiquette and unwritten rules is that they arent actually rules.

Did you not hear him set up behind you? Was there a chance he was set up and sitting when you got there and didnt see him?

10. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was going to say NY? No surprise.....

11. Fernando Torres

Fernando Torres Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I was not claiming the spot, but just making a statement. Not sure why Justin would be annoyed ? This person was not set up when we put up the stand. His stand was a hanging stand with ladder steps same set up as mine. He was not in his stand that morning. In NY you can leave your set up until the end of the season.

12. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good lord, 200-300 yards away is considered good etiquette to be away from someone else's stand?
    In Idaho you would get your stuff trashed if you setup that close to someone else's stand. In Clearwater County they would be camping out in the spot so they could "talk" to you in person.
    I know it is a cliché answer, and I don't know the area, but if you can, go deeper...much, much deeper.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  13. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I understand that but IL is the only state I know of (sure there are probably others) where that is the law. So culturally it's a different mindset.
    It's bad form. Not illegal and not worth doing something about if victimized; but bad form nonetheless.

That being said, to the OP- it could be worse. He could have sat YOUR stand. Perfectly legal in many states. Whoever gets there first.

14. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's basic showcase showdown rules.... Get up wind even just a little.
    Lots of people wanna punch the dude in the face that bets 1 dollar but more often then not it works

15. Hoytvectrix

Hoytvectrix Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't want to speak for Justin, but I shared his sentiments. You are not going to hunt all day everyday in that spot for the length of the season. Maybe it's a really good funnel and 150 yards away would put you or them out of the game? By your comments, it certainly does seem like you're claiming this spot or taking ownership.

I hunt public land in Minnesota. In most areas here, you cannot leave a stand overnight. I personally like this because it reduces any ownership of spots-if someone is where you were planning on hunting, you just move your setup. It has the added bonus of forcing people to be more mobile and adaptable, and probably better overall hunters.

cantexian likes this.
  16. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They are all over the world.

17. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Get a climber. I don't want to be around anyone else.

early in, BB1 and Fix like this.
  18. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    *Saddle :poke:

LittleChief likes this.
  19. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Some of us prefer a little comfort when we hunt.:poke:

cantexian and early in like this.
  20. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's why they make you bring your stand out with you each day on the state land I hunt. They try to avoid any possible confrontations among spot claimers. I think they also view it as a liability, having stands left in the woods where the general (non-hunting) public is allowed to be.

LittleChief likes this.