The winds are killing me!

Discussion in 'DIY Archery & Hunting Projects' started by oldnotdead, Sep 27, 2020.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Every set I've checked either had stand or tree damage, the trails blocked or just filled with branches. My big middle hill swamp blind needs repair. My ground hub had mice move in between roof and roof cover..chewing holes into roof. Then the inside Windows were a mess . I realized there were muddy raccoon prints all over the side walls. . One tower had sunk so My chair rolled to one corner. That was an easy fix with the Gator winch and blocks. Still need to fix a ladder at camp and finish one here.
    Now here is to not having the usual severe high wind storm before Thursday opener. Oh and the ladder stand at camp that was in a dead tree. 2 years and the guys wouldn't move it..I haven't hunted it in the last 4. If I move it. Well if it hasn't been stolen that is. I'm moving it to where the guys can't find it. Lazy turds...lol

2. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    LOL...EVERY SINGLE YEAR....The winds started this morning amd continue...been hearing trees cracking limbs dropping. Opener in morning 15 mph sw...thunderstorms in afternoon....

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  3. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I despise the wind when I'm hunting!!!!! I rely on hearing the deer before I see them, because when one does come through my spot it's already in bow range. Unless it's the rut, if it's too windy I won't even go in.

oldnotdead likes this.
  4. Nick Lewandowski

Nick Lewandowski Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That would definitely get frustrating! Always having to go and clean trails and checking for damage.
    I personally love hunting with the wind. It can help me slip into the are I want to hunt undetected. Also when in the tree, moving when the winds are blowing can help by making it easier to get the bow down in a swift motion for close range shots. The furthest I usually see deer is 35 yards. Also helps keep the bugs down.
    Also hunting public lands, not allowed to cut shooting lanes, so I have to find a tree that's pretty open, but has several trees behind it to break up my silhouette.

5. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I get that. I think the biggest problem here is being on the high steep side of a lake valley facing NW. The trees here get weak. Mature live maples and beech where the tops just snap out of them. Most bigh wind events I discribe the trees looking like they in a blender being twirled around. Our hunting camp is also on a step hill over a valley. It faces due west and no lakes. It gets high winds as well though they are steady straight winds mostly . None of this blender business. We rarely see tree damage down there.

6. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Why...why the trails??!!!!!

20201021_112645.jpg