Summit Viper SD question

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by servsuper, Sep 9, 2020.

1. servsuper

servsuper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I recently bought a Summit Viper SD climber. How many of you do not use the plastic foot brackets? I'm just thinking they are going to be in the way, and that I could/just as soon put my feet in the frame of the platform. How common is it to not use them?

2. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have never had an issue with the boot hooks being in the way. The bungee cord is what gets in the way but you just slide it all the way up toward the tree while hunting.

greatwhitehunter3 likes this.
  3. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^^Exactly this^^

I used a viper for a majority of the last decade. I'd still be using it this year if I didn't switch to a saddle.

I suggest a few upgrades that make it perfect:

Thirdhand Archery Bowholder (Allows you to climb with the bow in the holder) https://www.amazon.com/Third-Hand-T...d=1599674806&sprefix=thirdhand,aps,242&sr=8-2

Thirdhand Archery Stabilizer straps (Locks the top piece down to the bottom piece making the stand rock solid like a hang on stand)
    https://www.amazon.com/Third-Hand-C...d=1599674835&sprefix=thirdhand,aps,242&sr=8-3

XOP Treestand transport system. (Takes all the awkward weight from your shoulders and places it on your hips. I regularly walked a mile plus with it on my back) https://www.amazon.com/XOP-XTREME-O...hild=1&keywords=xop+tts&qid=1599674855&sr=8-1

You can drop a pound of weight by getting rid of the original clunky (But very comfy) stock seat and get a hazmoore net seat. 90% of the comfort of the stock seat. https://www.amazon.com/Hazmore-Outd...qid=1599674888&sprefix=hazmore,aps,156&sr=8-2

I got rid of the arm pads and rail pads and covered the stand in camo hockey stick tape for noise reduction and stealth.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Renfrew-...502065?hash=item2343fce331:g:wRMAAOSw7PBTonRf

Install a summit foot rest. https://www.amazon.com/Summit-Trees...=1599675045&sprefix=summit+foo,aps,194&sr=8-2

All of these mods/upgrades are worth every penny and make the stand so much better.

Southern slayer likes this.
  4. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    +1. Couldn't have said it better. I like the plastic foot hooks and bungee to climb with personally. Especially as you get higher and the tree narrows. I like to have the extra control to get the platform positioned just right.

5. servsuper

servsuper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Swamp Stalker likes this.
  6. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    X2 on the Hazmore seat. Made all the difference in mine.

7. servsuper

servsuper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I got the stabilizer straps and the bow holder so far (love both). The stock seat is pretty cumbersome, but that Hazmore seat just doesn’t look comfortable at all...

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

8. servsuper

servsuper Newb

Dislikes Received:
  9. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    LOL!! Glad you like the 3rd hand stuff! The hazmore seat is about 85-90% as comfy as the stock seat. it sits you higher in the stand and I found it easier to stand up and take a shot. Another cool thing about it, is when you stand up it slides out of the way effortlessly. It also allows you to use the entire foot platform for standing. I did not use the ties that it comes with to tie it together. I used small zip ties. The summit side saddle bags are also very handy, and eliminates the need for a backpack, which means one less step/move/adjustment/hang, once at the tree and or up at hunting height. They are hard to find, and I don't think summit is making them anymore. I have one (I only used one because it is roomy) and would sell it to you if interested.
    [​IMG]

Do you have a footrest? It makes a good bit of difference in comfort and allows your platforms to be spaced out an additional 6" which makes standing up for a shot easier. I have the one from mine, for a standard viper foot platform, and would sell it to you also. It does have a cut in it as I accidentally brushed up against it with a rotary grinder. It's not designed for load-bearing besides your feet, so I don't see it being an issue. I'll post some pics if you are interested.

PM me if you are interested!

10. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I did the stabilizer Straps from 3rd Hand for the climber I seldom use ... even though I dont use it much if at all, when I did, they helped big time ... also put a Hazmore seat on it, also a good move ... but where I hunt, a good climber tree is far and few and never where I need one to be, so I use my LW and 4 sticks(modified w/rope) and aiders 99.999999999 % of the time ..... I still keep the climber ready just in case I find a spot where one will work ...

11. servsuper

servsuper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just got the seat in the mail and putting it on now. Not sure when I’ll be able to try it out on a hunt, though. Maybe this weekend...

PM sent, Swamp Stalker!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

12. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    They are on their way to you! Enjoy, and best of luck this season!!

13. bigfoot16

bigfoot16 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Interesting.. I've used Summit Climbers for years.. never knew about the Hazmore seats.. thanks

14. BB1

BB1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    if looking for a mesh seat for Summit climbers, look at "Slumper Mesh Seat". I have been using one for about 3 years on my Summit Titan and love it. I found that it attaches easier than the Hazmore seat, does not retain water and slides out of the way when I stand up. I thought I would miss not having a back rest, but it has been a non-issue for me. I also have the third hand stabilizer straps (won't use a climber without them), foot rest, saddle bags and stealth strips on the foot platform.

15. Southern slayer

Southern slayer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I removed them from my stand soon after I bought it. I haven’t missed them either.

Tags: