QAD Question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Limbhanger, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Limbhanger

Limbhanger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone ever taken a QAD rest apart or converted it so it does not lock in the up position?

I have a Mathews intergrate QAD and hate to wreck it due to it being very expensive, but would continue to use it if I could eliminate the lock up feature and just have a spring loaded up and down rest?

If I wreck it in the process I'd be out the money, wheras I could of just sold it, as I do have a limbdriver coming to replace it if needed? Just decided I will not chance this rest hunting with the lock up feature, but really like every other feature and the way it mounts. So just wanted to check before selling it, and if the lock feature can be removed without destroying the rest? Thanks

2. Gabilgerat

Gabilgerat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I cant answer your question but never had a problem with the lock position on mine, works flawlessly every shot , every time and prob have 500+ arrows thru it, why would you want to alter the design ?

3. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    heck no. I wouldn't touch it. It is designed to work like it is. that's an expensive rest dude. And damn good one at that. I been using QAD rests 10 years, always flawless

4. Limbhanger

Dislikes Received:
    Simply do not trust it, why? Over the past 15 years or so, I have used plain up and down drop aways, several trophy takers and one hamskea, Never had an issue with any of these, although they do not lock in the up position. I've installed and and used enough, where I know I have the QAD timed and installed correctly.

I'm guessing here, but somewhere around my first 200 hundred arrows, the rest failed to drop on 2 random arrows. To be honest I only bought the rest for the mount feature as new Mathew's have a dovetail where this rest mounts neatly, which I love and love it's micro adjust, so figured I try one, even after reading many lock up failures over the years with this style rest.

I read many good reviews also, and realize many might never have an issue, but not worth it to me, Do a search on QAD didn't drop any many hits come up. My last read really got me thinking where a guy used one flawlessly practicing over the Summer, only to have it fail to drop on a cold Nov. morning on a 150 class buck.

As I said, just my opinion, and have no problem using a rest you have to lift the arrow off the shelf, eliminating the lock feature and this rest fork is very generous where I personally don't even see the need for full capture? Just not going to dismantle this rest to only find out, I can't where now selling it to someonewould not be right. But if I knew for sure, I'd have no problem converting it. Thanks

5. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Before you destroy it I'll send you my address. My nephew needs one .

I always" preload" my rest and the hdx is simply the best of them.

6. Limbhanger

Dislikes Received:
    Not going to destroy it, as I will not convert it unless I know for sure it can be done? I'm sure someone has taken one apart or done this, but having no luck even checking You tube. Too expensive to destroy, as I believe this rest sells new for around 250.00, which is insane, although I got if for a lot less being I bought a new bow. And this rest will only work on the new Mathews with the dovetail on the back of the riser.

7. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    Well, it's kind of like the old Rage threads.. some people said they wouldn't deploy, others said they would deploy in flight, if you hit shoulder blah blah blah..I have killed well over 40 deer with Rage heads, not one has failed me. Same with QAD. I have never had one issue.. that's strange that you had an issue. I have had 4-5 QAD rest over the years with 1000s of shots,,,

8. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ive never had my QAD not drop .. thousands of shots thru it, freezing rain, snow, heat, it always drops ... what your talking about is the Original Trophy Taker, stays down till drawn.. I had one and couldnt stand it .. I had to turn my Slicks so they would clear the shelf on the up pull or cut arrows longer than I like to ... went to a Rip Cord Red, then the Max and now the QAD ... why not use a Biscuit if your worried about a rest not dropping .... I have a Biscuit Pro on my back up bow ... the QAD is on my main bow ..... both are critter killers !! ..

Vabowman likes this.
  9. Limbhanger

Dislikes Received:
    I personally like drop aways, and have no interest in a biscuit whatsoever. And will never hunt with a drop away that locks in the up position, already didn't drop twice, no thanks.

10. Limbhanger

Dislikes Received:
    I can understand that as you have a good track record with them, this is my first and had 2 issues. Maybe it's defective? but hasn't done it since shooting it a bit more, Just leaves doubt in my mind so did a search and found numerous posts about this. Like I said many good reviews and many bad reviews so just decided not to hunt with it. The way I look at it is I'm eliminating one extra mechanical feature that can fail, that's not needed, and don't have to be concerned about it. Good Luck

11. Planopurist

Planopurist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What do you do if your arrow falls off while drawing? Or when letting down for that matter? Bother of those are more likely to cost you and opportunity than a “lock up failure”, IMO. if you modify the rest neither of those would actually be failures. The rest would operate like that every time, by “modified” design?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    I would exchange it for a new one, or go with a limbdriver rest.. did you set the rest up or did the bow shop? sounds like it could be the timing on it...

13. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Only problem my QAD has had is not locking up and I have to manually click it up several times to catch
    Anyone have that issue? And is there a fix?

14. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What's up?

15. BigHoss

BigHoss Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    IF you could convert it to a limb driven rest, I would be more worried about the narrow arrow launcher not picking up your arrow. Hamskea, Trophy Taker and even Dud's Elevate all have a wide arrow launcher designed to catch the arrow on the way up. To me I would figure out the issue as to why your QAD failed to fall rather than redesign a rest to do something it wasn't designed to do. But show us pictures if you prove us wrong, it would be interesting to see.

16. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Whas up? Bare with my explanation , I am a woman you know....lol

When I put my shaft on and lift rest up to loc her on as I wait for a shot. Sometimes it takes several times before it locs in. I never have an issue with the drop away at shot.

17. Limbhanger

Dislikes Received:
    I do have a Limb Driver coming should be here any day. Knowing this, I was thinking of selling the rest, but thought if I could convert it I'd keep it. Many don't realize most dop aways are spring loaded up and down only, so converting it if possible, would be no different than many of them.

My very first drop away was the original Trophy taker if you remember these, they had a very small lizard type rest and no containment and this was their hunting rest. Used it for approx 10 years hunting and never had an issue, as many claim it will fall off the rest. If you time the rest correctly and place a small cradle on the front shelf you will not have those issues, And if I never had issues with the small TT launcher for all those years , I personally don't see a problem with QAD launcher, it's an inch deep, where before my arrow just sitting on a tiny V.

And personally to me, full containment is all a lot of hunters only know today, and is way over rated and simply not needed if your arrows and rest are setup correctly. I have no problem with a rest with full containment if I like it, but never had it for many years, and didn't need it. Now if I was spot and stalking out West I could see the importance, but as a treestand hunter only I personally could care less if my rest has full containment or not. Even the new Limbdriver I got coming is the Pro model and it does not have full containment.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  18. BB1

BB1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had one that started doing the same thing, then it would occasionally stop dropping at the shot (thankfully only during practice) at which time I lost confidence in it for hunting and replaced it with a Rip Cord Max.

oldnotdead likes this.
  19. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had 2 QADs that failed/broke/junk. One became so difficult to raise the launcher I thought of using a pliers. Great CS the replaced them both. Sold the 3rd without opening the box.

Now using NAP Apache Carbon on 2 bows. No lock up. Very quiet - much quieter then the QAD. Much less to go wrong. Large launcher to grab/lift arrow and a containment bar.