Team 8 - Keep America Eight!

Discussion in '2020 Deer Contest' started by RevMS, Aug 31, 2020.

1. RevMS

RevMS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Check in guys:

Benny_Bucks
    Hammer1171
    mndeerskewer
    B Hicks
    Jackflap
    Blackbear
    jlmini30
    RevMS
    Short69
    bowhuntingbebout
    TCA126

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  2. blackbear

blackbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Black bear, checking in.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting
    .com Forums

3. RevMS

RevMS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    By way of introduction, I'm Mark, a Lutheran pastor in rural central Texas. I've been bow hunting since 1979-ish. But got my first deer with a bow less than 10 years ago. Since then I've not been skunked, but did miss out on getting a buck last year.

Don't have my own property yet as I'm living in the church parsonage - but that may change soon as we are looking for a piece of land that we can put a couple of homes on to make a family compound of sorts as my wife and I will soon have both our mothers living with us in addition to two or three of our kids.

I have three low fence ranch properties that folks in my congregation let me hunt on - all within about 8 miles from the church. One - named Timber Creek - is only about 50 acres and is about 30 acres of grain field and the balance a timbered creek bottom. It's right next to about 300 acres that the owner does not hunt. All the other properties in the area are pretty heavily hunted - but only one is a bow hunter. We get a one month head start on the rifle hunters here in Texas. This one has the best potential for a big scoring deer as the deer sanctuary next door holds some big boys that do range onto this property. This was the place that I was hunting hard at the end of the season last year trying to tag this mature buck with a drop who was showing up at a feeder like clockwork right after legal shooting light. He survived and one of my neighbors has seen him on trail cam photos this year.

Field Bucks 630p.jpg

The second property is in neighboring Hamilton county and is about 360 acres ... about 30 wooded and covered in scrubby oaks, the balance is grass pastures and cultivated grain fields. This property is loaded with several dozen doe that bed in that wooded area ... I usually end up with 2 or 3 decent bucks that come in and tend to the doe.

The third property is about 330 acres and is a combination of pasture and cultivated fields - this year planted with some pretty poorly looking sorghum - due to the drought we are in. The best hunting area on the property is about 25 acres of pasture in a grove of decent sized oak trees. I drove into this property a week ago and saw a herd of maybe 10 or 12 decent looking bucks in those oaks that scattered as I approached. I just put up a corn feeder and a cell cam on this place to get a better look at the "inventory".

Hunting over feeders is the most common practice in this area and I've got a mix of stands - a couple by feeders, a few on travel corridors, and one box blind overlooking a grain field. The box blind is primarily a rifle stand and I'll use it toward the end of the season to fill any tags I've got left over or to take friends or wounded warriors out to shoot a doe.

Until they went under, I was hunting staff for Ben Pearson Archery. Since no one is paying me or giving me a bow to use I'll be shooting the Pearson Atlas for the foreseeable future. It's a really sweet shooting bow - it's just a hard time for start-ups or restarts like Pearson to get a foothold in the industry.

4. Hammer1171

Hammer1171 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    RevMS likes this.
  5. Benny_Bucks

Benny_Bucks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey y’all, I’m 24 and from northern Illinois. Die hard bow hunter and try to work my meetings at school around my hunting schedule. Look forward to meeting all of my new teammates here. I love this contest and I’ve made countless friends who I still keep in touch with regularly. I’m hoping we can all be active members on here and get to know each other well.

I made a thread not seeing this one and I can’t delete it

RevMS likes this.
  6. mndeerskewer

mndeerskewer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Checking In from MN. Just bought 40 acres last year and have spent this summer planting food and getting stands and cameras set up. Relatively new to bow hunting, I’m 55 and have shot 1 buck and 1 doe. Looking to add to that total with mature bucks! Good luck everyone.

RevMS likes this.
  7. RevMS

RevMS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like the mods took care of it.

8. bowhuntingbebout

bowhuntingbebout Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nope. I commented there not seeing this one, as well as B Hicks.

RevMS likes this.
  9. Hammer1171

Dislikes Received:
    We need to figure out which thread we are going to use. There are 3 dudes on another team 8. This one looks like it was started about 4 hours earlier.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

blackbear likes this.
  10. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Hey fellows, I deleted the extra team 8 thread. I also sent a PM to the two guys that checked in there.

bowhuntingbebout and Hammer1171 like this.
  11. RevMS

RevMS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Chief!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LittleChief likes this.
  12. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dang it!

LittleChief likes this.
  13. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Jackflap checking in.

I am from the Panhandle of Texas. 60 years old and I still enjoy hunting as much now as when I was a kid.

Been bowhunting for around 25 year. Compared to some places, we are fortunate in Texas in that we have a combined archery and general season in which you can still bow hunt , that together lasts for about 3 months. I am also fortunate that I have several good places to hunt. My primary hunting partner is my 35 year old nephew and his closest friend, who both bow hunt only as well.

I also enjoy photography and snow skiing.

RevMS likes this.
  14. Hammer1171

Dislikes Received:
    Little tough to ski in Texas. Haha. Where do you ski?
    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

15. Benny_Bucks

Benny_Bucks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My father was a first year seminarian in the ELCA at Wartburg in Dubuque, IA and a Vicar at a small local church before he passed away in February.

What does everyone do for a living? I’m an elementary special education teacher. I teach the kiddos with emotional and behavioral disorders. I also coach 7th grade basketball and high school baseball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jackflap and RevMS like this.
  16. Hammer1171

Dislikes Received:
  17. B Hicks

B Hicks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    B Hicks checking in here. Good luck to all.

18. B Hicks

B Hicks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in Ky. I typically have several good bucks around in the 140-160 range. About the same this year. Highest scoring buck I probably have on camera is a giant 8 that will go in the 160s gross, and super 3 year old in the 150s. I still have several MIA from earlier in the summer and a few survivors on other farms from last year that have not showed yet. I'll be patient. Good luck everyone.

Hammer1171 likes this.
  19. RevMS

RevMS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  20. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Hey team 8.

Alex Stephens signed up for the contest quite some time ago without the required 25 posts and it wasn't caught.

I've replaced him with TCA126.

I've sent a message to Alex Stephens letting him know he is not eligible and I've sent a message to TCA126 letting him know he has been assigned to your team.

Hammer1171 and RevMS like this.