600+ grain arrows

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by zeke645, Aug 24, 2020.

1. zeke645

zeke645 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Shot a deer perfect last year with a swhacker. All it did was hit a rib. 5 yards, perfect broadside, 60 lb, 29 inches. Arrow weighed in at 410 grains and I got about 8 inches of penetration. We found the deer the next day but I know that should have passed through easily. I now have a setup with 645 grains and Magnus killer bee buzz cuts. Just wanted to hear what y’all have done with heavy arrows and what y’all think of the setup. 645 g arrow, 125 grain broadhead, 175 grain insert, Easton aftermath arrow. About 19% foc. I tried getting as close to an Ashby arrow as possible for my price range. Just want to hear some other opinions on it!

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Could have keep your old set up and went fixed for cheaper. I have shot swhackers for years and they don't deploy perfect Everytime. Slicktricks might be your answer. And with your new set up you could put it through a elk

TheHardWoods913 and MONGO like this.
  3. MONGO

MONGO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know someone who shoots 40lbs, with a 26" draw. arrow probably around 340g. blew a rib out on both sides with a slick trick
    ymmv

4. zeke645

zeke645 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Or a 300 pound pig! These peanut and pecan fed Georgia hogs are tough critters!

5. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm shooting through elk with a 405 grain arrow and a 100 grain fixed BH.

5 yards...from a tree stand or a blind?
    If tree stand then it was an extreme angle, hit a rib, with a mechanical...
    Even from the ground, it was your broad head that let you down friend.
    I think those buzzcuts would work every time with your old arrow setup.
    Also, don't overlook having a good tune with your setup. Arrows flying like darts penetrate much better than when they are whipping around while the fletching tries to correct the flight.

6. zeke645

zeke645 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It was an elevated blind. About 3 feet off the ground. I think you’re right for the most part about the broadhead and tuning, I think for some of my shots the heavy arrows will help. They can’t hurt in my situation and might save me. The Ashby reports have perfect arrow flight and structural integrity as the most important for a reason. Then foc, mainly for better arrow flight. I’ve really got nothing to lose!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums