Lighted or Regular Knocks?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Cricket, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Cricket

Cricket Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Need input. Recently, I’ve been told to ditch lighted knocks because they are about 14 grains heavier than my regular knocks and can cause irregular flight pattern. Most of the hunting I’m doing is 30 yards or under. Should I ditch or keep lighted knocks?

My draw weight is 50 pounds, fieldpoint arrow weight is 350 grains and arrow speed at 247 mph.

Thanks for your feedback!

2. mikey custom-g

mikey custom-g Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So you can’t paper tune with the lighted nock on your arrow or bare shaft ? Lol

I am not crazy about lighted nocks being I pass thru most things I shoot.

But I’ve seen a lighted nock work on a dark nite trail on a boar hog work real well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cricket likes this.
  3. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Are your arrows flying poorly with the lighted nocks or can you shoot nice groups?
    FOC (front of center) of an arrow is recommended to be between 7%-15% by most arrow manufacturers to be able to get good flight. If you post up what arrows you have, what spine they are, what length the are, and what weight point you have we can calculate what your FOC is.
    With all that being said, if your arrows fly fine with lighted nocks and you like them, then tell those folks to “mind their business”. Lol

Cricket likes this.
  4. Cricket

Cricket Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As a novice, I’ve never paper tuned my nocks! Thanks for the input!!!

mikey custom-g likes this.
  5. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I see no reason NOT to use them if you want too.?

Cricket likes this.
  6. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Since I went to lighted nocks, I am sold on 'em as I believe the benefits out weigh the negatives.. used nonlighted for 30 yrs ... lighted the last 3 yrs ... for MY set up I prefer Glory Nocks over Nockturnals because I get better string/serving fit ... Nocturnals were sloppy on the serving and the Glory Nocks fit great ... depends on the string/serving diameter.. your results may vary ..

I Use Gold Tip Velocity 300's and their regular full size GT nocks with a nail cut to make up the difference of weight of the lighted nock and I glued it in so I can practice and not use up my Lighted nock// I do make sure both have same POI ...... ex : my GT Nock is 12 grs, the Glory Nock is 25 grs, so, using a nail that fits perfectly inside the GT nock, I put the nail in a vice and cut it to an approx weight using my gr scale .. I then use a flat file/vise grips or my bench grinder to reduce the cut weight of the nail section to 13 grs.. so 12 + 13 = 25 grs, the weight of my Glory Nock ..... I also use a 20 gr GT FACT weight in my insert to even out the FOC ... I'm at 9.4% foc using this method .. perfect for me and great FP and BH flight and same POI at 50 yds after tuning ... I am anal about perfect arrow flight and tuning ..

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    Cricket likes this.
  7. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They are just another technical device that cost more and can bring you headaches at some point along the line. Nothing wrong with them if that’s what you want in your setup, but I think a lot of shooters fall back to the simplicity of a regular knock.

I had my run with them but just like plain old knocks better.

Cricket likes this.
  8. Cricket

Cricket Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Super tech, thanks! Funny enough, my Nockturnals are super loose on my string too. As in, I can’t lean too far over else they fall off. I’ll take a look at Glory!

9. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely find ones that stay on the string better. A loose nock is a dry fire waiting to happen.

Cricket likes this.
  10. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You should be fine. It's only a few grains but let us know how they tune

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    Cricket likes this.
  11. mikey custom-g

mikey custom-g Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’m a bit old school. First shots with my bow once setting up center shot and loop, putting my sight on ( the weight) and stabilizer, I run a paper tune. Fletcher and unfletched arrows. I get a bullethole , I feel confident my arrow is straightening out fast and traveling down range without wobble.

I’ve seen instances where my older brother and myself both bought new Obsession Evolution bows. I bought us 4 dozen Carbon Express arrows to use in 350 spine.

Being I was going to use the bow boar hunting, I just papered my arrow basically stock. Bullethole on the second shot.

He decided to upgrade the factory nocks to something else. Forget which nock ? Beiter maybe ? Anyway, he had a bad tear, not bad but not like mine.

Finally he used my stock arrow, same arrow as his but with standard nock. He got a bullethole.

These two bows being binary were much different then hybrid Hoyt’s. We both owned Bowtech prior but mainly shot Hoyt. He was exasperated trying to drawboard the bow thinking it was cam timing, until the nock switch.

So my point is, nocks CAN affect a paper tune. Always check any change you make. We both were surprised on this one. Upgrading the nock to a better nock ruined the tune.

Go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cricket likes this.
  12. Cricket

Cricket Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone! Time to go paper tune the lighted. And find one that fits my string better!

Fix likes this.
  13. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have not had any variation in arrow flight when going from a standard nock to a lighted nock. I use Nocturnals. Paper tuning will help a lot.

Cricket likes this.
  14. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    LittleChief and Cricket like this.