Making my first foray into Kentucky in a few weeks

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by Siman/OH, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Last year me and my group of buddies decided we were going to start bowhunting out of state more often (Ohio residents). We went to Indiana (Hoosier National Forest) and had a BLAST. We all saw shooter bucks and one of the guys harvested a nice 8 point.

This year we’re doing Kentucky. September 10-13. We will be hunting the Daniel Boone National Forest and the Mill Creek WMA.

We are approaching it the same way as last year. Extensive map study followed by hang and bangs when we get their. Lots of movement.

I don’t want any secret spots or anything like that, just curios to some tips and tricks for the area and any need to know information. We read the regulations and found all the little details that people overlook (no screwing into trees, hunting within 100 yards of a trail, no ATVs on the road, ect). It does mention we can park trucks on the side of the road as long as we don’t obstruct traffic.

My big question is ATVs. There is a large ATV trail system in the DNB (50” and less wide) and I’m assuming we can utilize this for hunting? Park on the side of the trail and leave the ATV, coming back after dark and driving out?

Lots of the DNB appears landlocked with only these ATV trail access points as the way to get back there.

Any intel would be great, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Soggy McBottom

Soggy McBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would stop in or better yet call the office for both the NF and WMA. Not sure about ATVs but I know the WMA I hunted had large food plots. I would ask if there has been any areas that have been clear-cut recently. Sound like fun! Too bad your only going for a few days.

3. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    I did make some calls, got some good info and some bad info. Some conflicting. Sounds like the state guys and the fed guys don’t talk and/or get along.

I also got the impression from the state guy that he wasn’t a fan of tourist hunting (too bad so sad).

I have maps from the WMA I’m hunting being sent to my house, that lady in the office was very nice.

If we like the area and the hunting is good we will probably come back in October.

4. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What part of Hoosier National did you go to?

5. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Charles Deam.

slickbilly-d likes this.
  6. blackbear

blackbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Hey I’m right in the middle of Daniel Boone, send me a pm, we can chat.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting
    .com Forums