Public Land Challenge - Todd vs Justin

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by Justin, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    So I've had this idea for a couple of years now, but could never get Todd to bite on it. I want to make a 1-2 episode series of Todd vs Justin in a public land challenge here in IL. I finally got him to agree, so it looks like it's a go for this fall.

Like all people, our time is limited for this, so the idea of traveling out of state somewhere for a week just isn't going to happen. I'm already going antelope and elk hunting this fall and my out of state time is being taken up on those trips. Therefore, the idea is to do something close to Todd's farm, so we can drive back and forth each day. Here's a general idea of what I'm thinking.

• 2 day challenge in mid October, during the "lull". This should be fun as it challenges us to see if we can get a deer killed during one of the more difficult times to hunt, on a brand new piece of public.
    • We will most likely do this during the week to try and avoid as many people as possible. I'm thinking a Tuesday/Weds.
    • We pick several public hunting spots that we've never been to and draw one from a hat at random. No pre-scouting work, asking our buddies, etc. We don't find out where we're going until the night before we hunt.
    • The challenge starts the next morning with no time to pre-scout, hang stands, etc. We can elect to go in during the dark based on maps/topography and hunt right away, or use the morning to scout for the remaining time.
    • We have to determine some sort of criteria for success that doesn't involve killing a deer, because chances are good we don't shoot anything. I'm thinking it will be something to do with filming deer along with their sex/age/proximity. Example: filming a deer within bow range versus a deer on the other side of a field or filming a buck versus a doe, etc.
    Now, I also think we need to mix things up a little bit to make it interesting. I had a couple of ideas, but am open to suggestions on what you guys think would make this more engaging to watch.

• Each person gets to pick 2 items from the other person's pack that they aren't allowed to use. It can't be something they absolutely need like a release or their quiver, but other items like grunt calls, rattling antlers, wind checker, etc.
    • Hold a competition before the event starts that allows us to earn advantages. Example: loser can't leave their truck in the morning until legal shooting light, or has to get down from their stand 1/2 hour before legal light ends.
    So there you go! I'm open to feedback and suggestions on making this both fun and educational.

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Paintball kill?

3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    First, I'm not sure that's entirely legal.

Second, I'm shooting to kill. I'm not out there to watch them. This may be the only time I am willing to shoot a doe this fall.

dnoodles likes this.
  4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Challenge card could be you have to eat prunes and taco bell every hr during a all day sit

5. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Or you each pick a gimmick that the other must use.

short69 and dnoodles like this.
  6. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    One gets to pick two items from the others pack that they can’t use. And each bring a something totally ridiculous for the other to use.

7. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'd keep the hunting constraints constant, frankly,

But penalize/award to add/alleviate the suck with stuff that >could< conceivably happen
    E.g. Loser carries an extra 25# in pack (extra gear), skip snacks / meal (sometimes you forget / leave them in the ride), lose a stick or two(didn't check or secure all your gear), hot out oops you spill half your water....

Ps, is pink camo allowed in the peoples republic of Illinois?

Since you're hunting public, it would be great to dive deep into the strategy of where your considering setting up - show topos, ariels, weather info.... Really deep dive on 'why here'...

jonderrs7 likes this.
  8. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you have said competitions beforehand you could limit the number of climbing sticks available for the looser to use or maybe even limit them to ground blind use only. Both would make Hunt more difficult but not impossible. Or force the looser to hunt from a saddle!! Not a punishment as far as I’m concerned but for a virgin saddle hunter could be challenging.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

9. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Or old school 30lb climber

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  10. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    put a 10 yard shot limit in play
    got to get REAL close

11. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I like the first bulleted idea....if you do the second I'm thinking the steel buck target should be involved. 50 yard shot, if you hit you get to get an item back....if you don't you don't get the item AND you cannot leave truck till first legal light or something similar.

Clear footage of deer within shooting range for points is definitely something you'd need and should do IMO.

I'm thinking loser has to for the entire rest of the fall, have to say all the crazy unique names of trophy submission as well as sport a T<J or J<T sticker on their bow visible into the future. :)

12. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know about the rules; but I think I would definitely use that first AM to still hunt/scout.
    No way would I go tromping around in the dark with only 2 full days to sit. Good chance you bump every deer in the section out of the area.

I also think you ought to get bonus points for getting it done on the ground.

Wisconsin Buckwatch likes this.
  13. bowhunt4abuck

bowhunt4abuck Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like the idea without the gimmicks personally. A distance shooting competition with loser adding 25 lbs to their pack was my favorite idea I saw here. But a short contest like this does sound fun to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    tdk5525 and sycamoretwitch like this.
  14. Berwickbuckmaster

Berwickbuckmaster Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Something I personally would find entertaining, If you guys hunted in street clothes. No Camo. No Scentlok. Could still wear boots, but Jeans and a shirt...

That'd be different, and challenging.

P.S.
    I hope Todd wins.

15. NebMo Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    i like this idea, no camo at all, no scent treatment spray or ozone. Jeans and red flannel

16. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    As appealing as that sounds, it's not going to happen. Gotta take care of the people who pay to keep the lights on around this place.

dnoodles likes this.
  17. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    upload_2020-8-11_8-53-12.png doesn't make flannels?
    maybe they should...product idea!

18. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think this is going to be entertaining to watch but I don't envy being in your position. I like the idea of points for sightings etc but taking away advantages on an already difficult hunt is just down right savage. Be safe and have fun.

dnoodles and Hoytvectrix like this.
  19. NebMo Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    would mathews let you guys use mission radiks as your bows for this?

overactor likes this.
  20. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think by not allowing a little bit of time for map scouting you are taking away from the public land experience.

I can agree with not walking the place before hand though.

I'm not one for all the gimmicks. I think you should both go in 100% ready to go and let the chips fall.

Maybe if you want a little comp to build up the story have the prize be the winner gets to road scout and glass the piece beforehand.

tdk5525 and Hoytvectrix like this.