Who here gets the virus first?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Sota, Mar 12, 2020.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I understand older people get it more and die more. But the percentage of people alive over 80 years of age must be pretty low. And for the average age of a covid related death to be 80 means that a crazy amount of deaths over 80 must have occurred compared to every other age range, combined.. I just dont see that being able to be done where 80 is the average.

2. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

The medical community in my area has come out with data that says children while not as likely to present symptoms of Covid, do carry a much higher viral load than adults when they contract it. That logically will lead to more adults contracting it from their children. And that tracks with data that says many more people contract Covid at home or from the people in their home due to the closer contact with family members.

This information was not known back in March and April when schools were closed.

The larger question is, which school districts wish to be the canary in the coal mine?

Okiebob likes this.
  3. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Politics are killing people (as is stupidity/ignorance).. If Obama touted the use of Hydroxy, the media, democrat physicians, politicians would he on the roof tops heralding its use .. But because POTUS Trump believes in its use, it is a red herring .... the Physicians behind the study bemoan the politics against their research .....

https://bigleaguepolitics.com/autho...-their-work-after-being-attacked-by-dr-fauci/

4. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    one can even argue it is politics that is playing in to the battle of opening schools ... the friggin' democrat run teachers unions are doing every thing they can to stop students from getting back to school ... the kids needs to be in school .... once again, the democrats CAN NOT let Trump have a win ... it goes against their narrative ... but yet, Sharpton (race baiter) will be allowed to have a 100,000 person march ?? .... smh ...

5. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Pauling, GA.
    Welcome back, kids! You are one of the first to be used in a human experiment!

[​IMG]

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I don't believe that's a stretch. Look at the data for our county - we've had more deaths of people over 99 than under 50.

As for the numbers being skewed by the idea of non-Covid deaths being labeled as Covid, I don't see that as being as big of an issue as people make it out to be. I'm sure there are some discrepancies in the data, but it can't be that many. Let's just say it's 10% for sake of argument. We have 113 dead people in our county as reported. Does it make that big of a difference if that number is really 101 instead?

7. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    No not at all. I'm just saying the average age of death being 80 can't be true. If it is 70 then it is is 70. 60...so on. I just dont like people making stuff up..... it is just another example of inaccurate reporting to fit an agenda.

8. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can't speak for every state, but the 10% infection rate for Arkansas is not accurate. Official numbers as of yesterday afternoon (it will updated at 3 pm today) Just under 45000 cases, state population a little under 4 million. Barely 1% of the state has tested positive, of those, only 1% have died.

dnoodles likes this.
  9. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's most likely 10%rate positive of the tests. Your tracking known positives vs known negatives so can only get the rate from the test results. Not vs the total population

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  10. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Hell just froze over. I actually agree with that greasy-haired weasel.

virginiashadow, Fix and trial153 like this.
  11. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I manage the fitness center for a medical school. It is going well. We are limiting the people who can be in at one-time and requiring preregistration for workouts, and proof of passing hospital screening to be on campus for the day. It is a little extra work, but, better than being shut down. Mandatory masks if weight lifting, no mask on cardio. It is spaced out to follow distancing guidelines. All workouts are 45 minutes and start on the hour, no exceptions for late arrivals. Everyone leaves at 45 minutes past the hour and we disinfect everything before the next hours starts up.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Germ likes this.
  12. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Never liked him but on that he is right.

cantexian likes this.
  13. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    True, I can give credit where it is due, despite fundamentally disagreeing with every other thing he said that I bother to acknowledge as being spoken.

Fix likes this.
  14. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Actually, it can be true statistically. The death rate of the elderly is far and above that death rate of all other age groups combined. That is why nursing homes have been devastated. The elderly can't seem to kick the virus like younger folks can. Locally, the majority of deaths I am personally aware of at our hospital have been well into their 80's and some into their 90's. There was only one death of a man in his 50's and he already had other serious health issues. So, at least on a local level, our average age of death is well into the 80's. It would not be a stretch to see that as a pretty standard pattern across the country. Life expectancy is completely irrelevant to the average age of death from Covid.

As of the end of June, over half of all deaths in Iowa were 81 years or older.

virginiashadow and dnoodles like this.
  15. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I understand average age of life expectancy is irrelevant to the avg age of covid deaths. I was just using that number to cast doubt onto the 80 yr old avg death of covid. Just doesn't add up to me. But hey, I ain't the smartest guy on the block. And I understand mathematically it can happen, but the odds would be extremely high based on the relative small number of persons living that are 80+.

16. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's what it is here locally too. The two ppl i know of in county were 90 and 80 something. I know earlier on in few neighbouring county deaths were from ppl in 80's or 90's.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

17. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Edit...
    I could be wrong. Lol. I have been looking at statistics here in VA and although I cant find an average age of death, like 75% of the deaths have been people over age 70. And 50% are people over age 80. So yeah I was probably wrong in my thinking. Sue me.

fletch920, cantexian and dnoodles like this.
  18. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Extrapolating from 2010 census numbers, 80+ comprises almost 8% of the US population. 75+ is over 10%

Don't have the exact numbers in front of me- but something like 55k of the total C-19 attributed deaths are over 80yoa. Since C-19 kills something less than 1% of infected people under the age of 55 it's easy to see how the average aged death is over 80.

Death rates drop drastically as soon as you dip under age 65. By the 50yoa mark the death rate drops to almost zero- despite all the anecdotes.

19. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    @Germ?

20. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am bald