2020 planning

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by oldnotdead, Jan 5, 2020.

1. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't get to spray my soybeans until it was almost too late. The weeds were so tall that at times the sprayer nozzles were dragging in them as I sprayed. I got lucky and it worked. I tried something new this year and planted the whole plot in beans then went back and planted over them in two strips of sunflowers. I just used bird seed and didn't seem to get the germination I usually get. The sunflowers are in the weedy strips.

beans 2020.JPG

To the right of the beans I have a clover plot I'm trying to develope.

clover 2020.JPG

Bootlegger and oldnotdead like this.
  2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That looks awesome Greg.

GregH likes this.
  3. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thats looking great!. Ya, When I plant it's usually feed type seed with corn and suns. It's been hit and miss last plantings. It depends on how the processors dry the seed. Before this it was always great germination. Now I'm looking for local sources.
    Glad I didnt attempt seed planting yesterday it would have been a wash out. Storm knocked out the power over most of state last night. Early to bed problem is I woke up at 1:30 and got back to sleep about the time hubbies alarm went off at 4:30.

GregH likes this.
  4. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Rain when none is expected, little rain when lots is due..WTH!. I went out and raked in tritical, oats,peas ,and clover then over seeded with more clover. Light rain the whole time. I got most of the new blind trail plot planted. The big trail plot is delayed due to two ash trees that fell across the trail plot. I'll section those up in a little bit then cut a spit maple for more light.

Bootlegger likes this.
  5. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Soaking in tub, temps dropped but this piddly rain/ sun has humidity way up. Cut up the two ash, then dropped the split maple limbed it and sectioned that . Moved over to the basswood I dropped the other day and limbed and sectioned most of that. Walked to the blind area and dropped 5 little crap trees and good sized hollowed out maple. That should open a bit more filted sun to the trail plot I just planted. Tomorrow dependent another supposed all day rain I'll haul all the brush and stack the sections. Never hurts to have wind blocks against the N/W winds we get in winter.

6. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Went backout and dropped several more small treesx around blind. Sectioned up all dropped trees that needed it and stacked tops. By then I was 18 hrs into my fasting and left the rest for later.
    I checked seed I planted and.....lots of peas sprouting,clover sprouting and not seeing much grain??? So I checked the cam I moved out there. Surprise! Turkey did have good pults. Two hens 18 pults. That makes me very happy. Also just a glimpse of a young buck.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  7. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    So much for the peas and grain..lol Glad I went over all of it with a clover combo because even through the tree tops I had left in plot ,the turkey went in and got it ALL. Nothing left but pea pod shells and sprouting clovers. So it will still have something. Even though it's a new plot I may do a light over seedling of my brassica mix. Just as a test. Ph ain't where I want it yet but may have enough of a rise.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  8. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well that sucks.
    Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

9. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Aahhh I never sweat the little things. Seed was a sale, and I'm seeing a bunch of pults, to be honest I love turkey season more than deer.

Ridgerunner3 likes this.
  10. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Thank God for a breeze! Just got done with the lane way plot.I lime and fertilized, disced, then walked a bag of winter peas mix in. I then dragged it and went over it again with mega plot winter mix. And dragged that in. Still lots of seed on top and some buried to deep but there will be enough just right. The plot I thought the turkeys wiped out has lots of clover and some grains coming up. What a fast green up! Pics of that and finished lane way. Which is a work in progress one and should be great in another year or two. Last few plantings did not grow well.

20200727_113227.jpg 20200727_111510.jpg

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  11. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Torrential down fall in last nights thunderstorm. Great timing again,if the seed wasn't washed away that is.

12. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Seed was in great shape, some peas popped to surface but the turkey have been in the grains . Completely stripped one of last years WWplots. I over seeded that and the lane way plot with my rassica mux. I also over seededthe blind plot. Hit those two with every thing but the kitchen sink. They will get hit hard so over seeding isnt in my realm of worry. I'm trying to keep them traveling from nieghbors pines to my woodsto get to where tey want to go. As it is they tend to walk my woods edge and the farm field. Which keaves them wide open to several hunters in gun and at least 3 in bow..

13. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm gonna start planting in the next few weeks. We've had an unreal amount of heavy rain the last week or so.

Sent from my SM-S102DL using Tapatalk

oldnotdead likes this.
  14. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Here's a couple more pics of my bean/sunflower plot. The pics are 5 days apart. These pics are taken from my deck. In the first pic I did not see the deer until I got in the house and looked at the pic! This coming week my son and I will prep and plant a couple plots of brassica's and clover.

sunflowers with deer.JPG

5 days later.JPG

Bootlegger likes this.
  15. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    That's looking GREAT! How many acres do you farm?

16. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Lol, I wouldn't call it farming as I only plant a bit over 3 acres for wildlife. Those other fields are my neighbors (real farmers). I have a couple plots in my woods along with a waterhole. In all I'm on 45 acres.

oldnotdead likes this.
  17. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Thats sorta like me, lookout the window over acres of crops. All belonging to the farm lease next door. Right now bright yellow WW stubbage with clover peeking through. Which is a releaf, means we may have dodged the liquid ****e spray. At 50 ft away on a hot summer we spend a week with a house drenched in ****e smell day and night. It's bad enough when they spray a mile away. That said,we chose to live in farm country so........

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  18. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah that liquid stuff is the worst oder wise.

This is why I like planting beans. Most bang for my buck. They eat them in the summer and the winter.

2141.JPG

My back yard is all woods as is all my neighbors. Here's me and my dogs checking cameras right out the back door.

walk.JPG

Bootlegger and oldnotdead like this.
  19. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    IMG_20200526_140935_hdr.jpg IMG_20200526_140828_hdr.jpg

What am I stupid? Thats was rhetorical...lol
    Last year I cut and dragged the rye plot as a replanting measure. It came in tick and saved $$. Today I started cutting it again. It has clover and brassica seed heads all through it. I'm doing the entire thing pushing my 60# DR string mower. Oh boy!!!!
    Heres an early pic from early June. I'll show an after later.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  20. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Well 1/3 cut,as hubby says your not 50 anymore. Besides my elbows couldn't take it anymore, they were being chewed off by deer flies. So much for spray. My good old DR is ready to start in the morning. That things over 25 yrs old and still starts with two pulls. Such good clover growth in there. Red and white.

20200731_153316.jpg 20200731_153238.jpg 20200731_153034.jpg

arrowflinger1 likes this.