String Replacement Time

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by NorthmanJW, Jul 15, 2020.

1. NorthmanJW

NorthmanJW Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have to admit, I am guilty of keeping the same string for years at a time. I always keep them well waxed and in good condition. Recently I spoke to a guy that informed me bows need to be restrung every two years regardless of frequency of shooting sessions. Seems to me a little overboard. Am I the only person that keeps them on for 4-5 years?

2. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Having seen a buddy that let a string go to long without changing, yes I have mine replaced every two years. I wax frequently but I also sit on a stand no matter what the weather so I would imagine the weather and conditions are more to blame for wear and delapadation than shooting.

3. NorthmanJW

Dislikes Received:
    I have an old bowtech that's got string on it about 12 years old. I was going to use it for turkey/small game. Guess I'll be getting a new string on that bad boy Saturday. Haha

Okiebob likes this.
  4. Planopurist

Planopurist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I change mine at least once per year, sometimes twice. That being said, I keep a set handy during hunting season because its too long to get one in the middle of the season. I use https://www.wickedtwistedbowstrings.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Perhaps it is a poundage thing. I had a Hoyt for 15 years and one change. 49 #'s. I actually shot way more back then. My mission got new strings after 5 yrs.. Cross bow is the one that worries me and she goes in tomorrow.
    Fraying from my holding it when hunting is an issue for me. I dont like holders,a thing.

6. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just finished changing the cables on my Ritual, the string was messed up when it came in, so it went back to the maker, replacement should be here shortly (Catfish Customs) .. the original/factory string was 452X I believe made by Winners Choice and it is in excellent shape, one of the cables was worn where it went thru the rollers so I'm replacing everything ... the new threads are X99, first time using it, it was recommended by the maker, so I'll see how it works out ... I usually replace the string/cables every 2-4 yrs, depending on wear ... I have Mercury on my venerable Allegiance, it hasnt budged since it went on, and it is now going on 4 yrs old, it has been a great string cable set made by Twisted X ... I'll change it all out next year ..

gr_andrews likes this.
  7. NorthmanJW

Dislikes Received:
    I wish I had a bow press to do my own. The only place we had to go in our neck of the woods was gander mountain. Once they closed down we are forced to drive 4.5 hours to bass pro. All of us backwoods hillbillys are learning things out of necessity now.

Planopurist likes this.
  8. Planopurist

Dislikes Received:
    Well, we’re learning in the city too! I think it helps you become a better archer because you understand the equipment better.

You can get an LCA press as cheap as a new one will be at https://www.fulcrumarchery.com.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. NorthmanJW

Dislikes Received:
    I've got alot to learn, that's for sure. Making the long haul in the morning for two string changes and a supply restock. (Hopefully). Broadheads are just as hard to get right now as bullets.

10. NorthmanJW

Dislikes Received:
    I'm turning one of my bows down to 45 or 50 for small game, I'll be letting that one go up to about 5 years probably. My big game bow at 70 though, I'll keep up with now I guess.

11. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You are at 17 posts, almost there.
    Do another one
    Another one
    Put in that work

wl704 likes this.
  12. NorthmanJW

Dislikes Received:
    I'm trying. $320 for replacement strings on two bows. Not liking that very much but I guess you got to pay to play the game!

13. Planopurist

Dislikes Received:
    That’s steep!!

14. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I change strings too much. Like changing colors. Lots of good builders out there. Second to None Bowstrings, Twisted X, BC Custom strings are all good. Wicked Twisted, Buck Slayer are as well.

Sent from my SM-S102DL using Tapatalk

Planopurist likes this.
  15. Planopurist

Dislikes Received:
    I change at least once a year. I don’t like seeing the quality drop off. I like catching it before that happens, especially with my own press now. https://www.wickedtwistedbowstrings.com is my jam now!

16. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm the same, still have original stings on my 2016 bow. Its time to replace them. I just ordered some Catfish strings today. Never used them, but have heard good reviews on them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

17. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    got the Catfish string/cables on Saturday, bare shaft tuned today ... BULLET HOLES at 6 and 15 ft with two different shafts.. Velocity 300 xt's and Hunter 340 XT's .... over all weight is about the same ... I will decide which one I'll hunt with after shooting field points and BH's .. I have dropped the poundage to 61 lbs, so I'll see which the Elite Ritual 33 shoots the best at a distance ....

update ... the bow/bareshafts seems to like the Velocity XT 300's better... I dont mind being a tad over spined for fixed BH's and hunting anyways ... getting good bare shaft/FP's to 33 ft.. time to go out side and try FP's and BH's ...

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  18. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Get a quote from Catfish Customs before spending that much. I just got my first Catfish string about 5 months ago, so far so good. No stretch or peep rotation after somewhere around 500 shots.
    I average around 2-3 years for a string unless I damage one while elk hunting.

19. gr_andrews

gr_andrews Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I change mine every 2-3 years depending on need. Lately i’ve had to do once a year.

20. Ty L

Ty L Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I tend to stretch mine out for 3-4 years. Just make sure they are well maintained.