Need Help With Habitat Improvement Plan

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Bama_Hunter88, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Bama_Hunter88

Bama_Hunter88 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I’m just starting to hunt this land (circled in yellow) It’s about 200 acres. I’m new to hunting. I want to create a few good spots for me and my kids to enjoy. The drop off to the valley is very very steep. It’s mostly hardwoods and very very thick. I can’t seem to figure out where the bucks are hanging out or traveling through. It’s all untouched land. I put a few feeders out last year and saw several deer but cannot seem to pattern them. What would you do? Where would you start? Any help is appreciated! Picture added below. I can get more pictures if needed.

2. Bama_Hunter88

Bama_Hunter88 Newb

Dislikes Received:
  3. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I honestly do not know Alabama. But do know if your looking for summer buck you won't be finding them in super thick stuff. They are in rack protection mode now.. But you should be finding fall rub lines and old bedding sites in the thick stuff. I don't know your specific tree species so that's a major thing to learn. Whats producing mast in the fall and when. All wild fruits,,berry, and nuts. Many look only to the acorn in the latter. But hereI look for the hophorn droups, the locust pods, l planted hazelnuts and two dozen chestnut trees. Then you have the young blk walnut and the hickory that are aromatic and they love to rub. Sassafrass is another I planted for rub trees. Find what your deer like in your area and same goes for the wild weeds.
    I assume heat there will have them looking for water, if it's lacking put some in. Have a great fall

4. Bama_Hunter88

Bama_Hunter88 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I’m trying to come up with somewhat of a plan. What areas to plan stand locations and what areas to plan food plots. We mostly just have briars and acorns.

5. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Have you been scouting for rub lines? We live in hill country and we hunt our camp in hill country. Here and camp they travel the gullies ridges between food and water. Camp they switch bedding due to cold and winds so either low or high about same here but count on just lower than ridge when the winds blowing hard. Low in gully when hot..travel is across they ends of points. Things that you wouldn't encounter.
    Even summer time evening or morning sits ,with bug protection, can give you a clue as to how your doe travel. Food changes things but basics learned it will also give you a feel for winds and what to avoid if time allows.
    Have a successful season. Buck may not travel exactly the same but you can count on cross checking trails in fall.
    Knowing those favorite types of aromatic rub trees in the early season can give you good results..

6. viviutha

viviutha Newb

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]

7. bowhunt4abuck

bowhunt4abuck Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Look up whitetail habitat solutions. That dude knows his stuff and people hire him to come do just that. He also offers the information for free on his website if you want to come up with your own plan with just his mindset. He actually just put up basically a web class on his website that should give you everything you need to know. He has a great YouTube channel as well. Your not going to find better advice short of bringing someone in that has set up a lot of property’s to stand on your ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020